audio stream connection

cwoodrow55

I have a question about the new “Audiostream RCB” kit. Is it supposed to be able to connect to your phone via bluetooth without and separate from the “AudioLink” device”?  I cannot connect to my phone without using the AudioKey 2 software without the AudioLink turned on and connected to the phone and my Sonnet 2.  I use an iPhone 8 plus.

• HearPeers Heroes

@cwoodrow55  yes AudioStream connects directly without the AudioLink.

Connect under accessibility hearing devices on iphones

@Justin will you share the steps you took to connect your AudioStream to your iPhone?

I got my AudioStream today. Tried to connect to my iphone. It can find the Sonnet 2 through Apple Bluetooth app. But I cannot connect processor. It first says" No audio processor found. Then, I remove the cover and put it back to put it in pairing mode. Now it appears to find it but "Failed to Read" is the message. If In put my old covert on, I can easily connect my Sonnet 2 to the iPhone. Any advice how to troubleshoot ... i have tried for 2 hours by now.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Stephan

After using AudioKey2 have you gone onto your iPhone accessibility under hearing devices?

• HearPeers Heroes

This is how @Justin got it to work 

I installed the AudioKey 2 app, launched it, signed in with my MedEl account (account registration requires a processor serial # to verify you are a recipient). Allow Bluetooth (obviously) and Location Services (for "Find My Processor") when prompted. Once you're in, you can then bypass everything else and click the 🍔"hamburger"/menu button in the upper left, and choose "Connectivity Options". Click "AudioStream" > "Configuration" > Pick Left or Right, then Next. Slide the AudioStream onto the processor to power up, hold close to the iPhone/iPad, and click Next. Patiently wait, you may have to retry the power up, scan step (I did). You'll be prompted for a name – in iPhone settings this becomes "<name>'s hearing device", so just give it a short simple name (I think it's max 8 characters). Now wait again... this part also timed out on me on some of my reconfiguration attempts. You'll be prompted for a "pairing request", click Accept! It'll say "success". At this point, you *should* be ready to go. Back on the"Configure/Update/Reset" page, don't bother with "Update" at this time, I assume the v1.0 firmware is up-to-date.

OK, time to stream... I had some music queued up, so I swiped down to get Control Center, and noticed my volume control had an Ear icon in it. When I pressed play, there was a delay, and the Ear icon went back to a Speaker icon, and the playback was paused. On my iPad, I pressed play again, and it hesitated, the Ear icon came back, I heard a faint "thunk" from my processor, and the streaming began! So from first setup, it may take a few seconds for the system to get everything setup to stream. Be patient. On my finicky iPhone, it wouldn't work straight away. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. I had to go to "Settings" > "Accessibility" > "Hearing Devices" and wait while it briefly scanned for devices. "Justin's Hearing Dev." appeared, cycled through a few different statuses and finally was "Connected". Tapping on "Justin's Hearing Dev." gives me a page with an option to "Stream to right hearing device" which should be on by default. At this point, streaming/listening to audio worked!”

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Stephan

After using AudioKey2 have you gone onto your iPhone accessibility under hearing devices?

AudioKey2 ... I still had the old app. Now listening to music with out the tele-coil!! Quality is definitely better. Thank you.

• Like 2

I used Justin’s method and it magically worked!! Like Mary I had to connect a second time in order for it to work. It’s almost like you have to create a account in order for bluetooth to recognize it. 

Voices seem to be a little clearer but music still is still “ washed out”. 

2 hours ago, cwoodrow55 said:

“Audiostream RCB” kit

I think specifically RCB stands for "Re-Chargable Battery". And the AudioStream requires a new rechargable battery "frame" (the part that adapts the battery itself to the Sonnet) vs. the "old" RCB frame. It is microscopically shorter and marked with a tiny fan/"wifi" symbol. My AudioStream included a frame for disposable batteries, and the Sonnet 2 kit also comes with a battery frame for disposable batteries. Both were the updated version compatible with the AudioStream. But if you use rechargables, you need to get the new compatible RCB frame.

17 hours ago, cwoodrow55 said:

I cannot connect to my phone without using the AudioKey 2 software without the AudioLink turned on

Great that you now can use AudioStream with your Sonnet. It's really great, isn't it? 😉

Concerning your AudioKey (2): with Sonnet 2 you can use the AudioKey (2) app without(!) AudioLink connected. To get this working you have to pair your Sonnet 2 a second time with your AudioKey-App as a direct-connected device.

If you are purchasing the $300 AudioStream like me on the MyWebStore, the choices are with RCB (the little adapter) or with the disposable battery frame.

I understand Justin saying the AudioStream RCB adapter (1mm smaller) is dedicated to the AudioStream as a Standard rechargeable battery won't fit if you try to use your original kit tiny RCB adapter.  So we will need to keep the two variations of the RCB distinguished by the one having the WiFi symbol.  BUT would you be able to use a Mini Rechgbl in an existing adapter?

ALSO,  does the original kit disposable battery holder work fine with AudioStream?  they look identical. Are they, in fact, identical?

As I am bilateral Sonnet, I need to know my options since I'll want to buy 2...for the most flexible wearing options, do I buy 2 w/new RCB adapter,  2 disposable battery holders or one of each....?

I guess I'm confused why they offer the disposable battery holder if our existing one is identical.  It must be different!??

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sinker

They are different.  Med-El recommends using disposable batteries with the AudioStream if you plan on streaming a lot due to battery drain.  If you have not signed up yet for the Med-El US HearPeers, you may want to do that before you order.  There is a discount on each AudioStream for a limited time.

I will use AudioStream with Power One Implant disposable batteries.

DBE3D2BA-B67E-422C-B98A-8F9A70B83322.jpeg

Thx, MB.  I do understand that part.  I am using the discount and allowed to twice.  

The problem is, I am a Rondo gal which takes 3 disposables.  I am bilateral so I use up 6 batteries each 3 days.  If I have to put in 2 disposables in a Sonnet when I want to AudioStream, they will just be wasted as I won't be streaming straight 72 hours, lol.

So I'm thinking the RCB is the way to go for me as I have numerous batteries, both Standard and Mini, that would suit for the hour or so I might want to stream, without having to go thru a bazillion disposables per week.  However, if I'm on an 8 hr flight to Hawaii, I would use disposable! So I want to be able to choose as fitting to the situation.

So I want to know if my existing disposable frame is identical as it would then be silly to buy 2

AudioStream with them.

Edited by Sinker
clarify

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sinker

@Justinmentioned that the disposable battery pack for AudioStream is slightly shorter 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sinker

Since you prefer your Rondos, have you tried streaming with the Artone BT neckloop?  I love mine.

@Sinker

Just to be clear about something. The new battery adapters (both RCB and disposables) are compatible with the AudioStream cover AND all other covers. I think/hope that MED-EL will only sell the new adapters from now on. It is distinguishable by a little icon that looks like the symbol for wifi.

Interesting, but I just lined up my new RCB adapter and two of my old RCB adapters (one had never been used) and there is no size difference! I tried them all, and both of the old RCB adapters result in a clicking sound when I try to stream - everything is getting power and it's trying, but the sound is not coming through. . So it seems there's different wiring inside the new RCB adapter. (FWIW, the pins on the adapter are the same.) I'd anticipate that some people will mix thing up and complain that they only hear clicking when streaming and find out it's down to using an old adapter.

There is a distinct size difference with the new disposable battery adapter, and I'd assume there's a wiring difference as well. 

FWIW, I know have 2 of the new disposable battery frames and one old one. I only have one implant, and I never use disposables except when I go for a weekend camping trip or have some sort of all-day activity. So, I certainly don't need 3 disposable frames. I also have two AudioLinks when one will suffice!

Interesting observations, Justin. I almost exclusively use RCBs as well.  The fact that RCB adapters - old and new/BT  - are both the same size makes me wonder if BT cover is substantially larger only to accommodate the larger BT disposable battery adapter. That is, if they wanted to, could MED-EL produce a smaller BT battery cover for RCBs? I know MED-EL sort of recommends disposables for BT because of increased battery drain so larger disposable accommodating battery cover may have been default. I'm not particularly thrilled with larger BT battery cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity I hooked up my original disposable battery pack and like someone wrote in that it tried to connect but failed. I think it will power the CI (mine’s a Sonnet 2) but will not let it connect to Iphone apps such as music and phone. Just some clicking noises but that was it. 

Will Medicare pay for a disposable battery adapter when it is time to renew batteries? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@cwoodrow55

The disposable battery pack (original) will allow the Sonnet 2 to connect to your phone’s AudioKey 2 app as a remote.  It will also allow your Sonnet 2 to connect to AudioLink to stream audio from your phone through the AudioLink/Audio2Ear app.

The direct BT streaming for Sonnet 2 requires AudioStream (and the new disposable battery pack or the new rechargeable battery adapter).

Right now Med-El US has a slight discount on AudioStream and it comes with either the new disposable battery pack or the new rechargeable battery adapter.

Without AudioStream the new battery pack or new rechargeable adapter will not give you direct streaming from your phone.

Check with your CSR regarding items Medicare covers.  I believe they have a list of non-covered items through Medicare.