Residual hearing question

Brandie

Hello everyone!  Implanted with Sonnet 2 EAS 1 week ago today.  Post-op assumed swelling etc so not surprised to not hear anything out of implanted ear via residual hearing.  One week out and still completely deaf in that ear.  I have reached out to my Dr, who is out of town until tomorrow.  Just wondering if anyone else had experience with retaining or not retaining any residual hearing.  I go back to work tomorrow and think I am just hitting that post-op panic time.  Any kind words are appreciated, I could certainly use a pick-me-up. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Brandie

congratulations on your CI!

I did not have enough hearing prior to surgery to even consider EAS.  But I have read reports from others who described needing healing time before finding out their residual hearing status.  Hang in there and wishing you the best!  Please keep us posted.

Hello you are in good company. I had implant in February, and that ear became completely deaf, until switch on 4 weeks later, when I was able to hear fantastic sounds. Bird song was wonderful, mainly in the higher frequencies eg a wren 

I can also hear my heartbeat

• HearPeers Heroes

@Robert Heddle

Welcome to HearPeers!  Congratulations on your CI and new sounds!  Which processor did you choose?

@Brandie

I understand your fear.  When I had my first surgery, I had not even been activated yet and I kept grabbing the phone to see if I could hear a dial tone (I could not).  I think it is very normal to lose some hearing even with an EAS surgery.  What we need to focus on is what we gain while wearing the processors, not what we lose when they are removed.  I am completely deaf when not wearing at least one processor.

First EAS 10 years ago - Prior to surgery my low tones were about 55 decibels.  When tested about 5 weeks after my low tones had gone down to 80 decibels.  They postponed activation to see if it would come up.  When tested again two weeks later it was about 76 decibels (came up only very slightly).  My audi did not think that I had enough preserved to be able to use EAS and wanted to program the processor as electrical only.  I was disappointed but when we discussed it with the Med El rep, the rep said the cut-off should be 85.  Thanks to 9 decibels I was able to have EAS.  Our ear is in shock after surgery and once it recovers you may find your residual will come up a bit.

Second EAS 3 months ago – Hearing in this ear had gone down to about 80 decibels.  My audi did not feel that EAS would be possible.  After several discussions the surgeon decided to attempt to preserve some hearing, but warned that even if successful it would still go down to about 100 decibels.   With this one I rehabbed initially with an electrical only program, before starting rehab with the EAS.

I find that the addition of acoustical, no matter how slight, improves music and sound quality in general.  

I agree with @Mary Beththat healing time is needed, and lots of rehab, then see where you are 3 months after activation - I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.  

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Lynda.  I keep plugging my other ear and closing my eyes and having my kids yell at me, but I'm getting nothing.  It's helping when I remember how little hearing I had left in the ear anyway.  I am kind of accepting this. 

I am now battling a tinnitus issue that has my not sleeping, but my house is really, really clean, so there is that.  :)

The post op hearing loss in the implanted side , in my experience is permanent, but when you do Switch On, the implant will more than compensate.

Ive just completed about 7 weeks since and the programming done at St Thomases has been improving things a lot.So my hearing may not be perfect but it beats being as deaf as I was

Be optimistic

@BrandieHang in there - things will get better

After my 1st surgery, but before activation, my tinnitus was beyond horrible - pots clanging, sirens, alarms - a real cacophony.  I curled up in a ball and felt sorry for myself.  A clean house?  You got this girl!!

I still have mild tinnitus when I take off my processors for the night and/or before putting them on in the morning (just another reason to look forward to putting on your processor).

Oh and I wouldn't get the kids used to yelling at you LOL