Activation day

lilygirl630

randomthoughtsandruminations.wordpress.com

I wrote a blog post about my activation day (which was today!!). All in all, it was successful (meaning, I didn't destroy the internal device in the 3 week recovery period, LOL), though I was a tad disappointed. I knew what to expect and I have kept my expectations low, but I won't lie, I did wish that I would have had more understanding of some sounds today. As it is, it's almost my bedtime and I haven't understood anything without a visual. I've just heard a lot of warbling and almost a chiming sound when noise is happening. I did hear my keys jingle, much like a cowbell and the ice clinking in the glass at the restaurant I went to for dinner was much more high pitched than I had heard it before. I go back in the morning at 8 am for more mapping. Hopefully I'll start seeing more progress during the weekend. I have already warned my mother that she will be practicing with me a lot this weekend! I plan to listen to a lot of children's books on tape/cd while reading the book and listening to a lot of environmental sounds. I will definitely be doing my part to get where I want to be! I can't believe how much stuff I got! I already am not a fan of the direct cable. I don't understand why they didn't give us a choice and let us get the cable that allows for only sound from my iPod to go through to my processor. Instead, I have a mixed cable that allows for sounds from my iPod AND environmental sounds. Maybe it won't matter if I find something else I prefer that will last through a workout. I think until I can start to enjoy music, I'll just be going without at that time. Today was also my post op appointment and all my restrictions were lifted! No more sleeping elevated, back to exercising, and I can shower and wash my hair normally again!

Hiya I sorry you were a bit disappointed with your activation I also m using audiobooks though my processor my audio

Gave me earplugs to bung up the other ear so no sound goes though it this works great nd forces my brain to listen to what is being said

Lo use it for word practice to hear kids and hubbie I am finding omens voices easier to understand

Hubbie sounds like a cyber and son like a darlek and my daughter is a tinny version of Minnie Mouse

The noises are still tinny but that will fade I have just been wearing it round house today abc picking up various noises

Don't rush it let it come in own time if you do the audio book just o them for 15mins gos I overdid it and ended up in bed wih a viscous

Headache,I was allowed to wash hair after 24hours just told not to lift anything heavy.

Take your time. Relax and remember the brain has got o sort out all he noises to make sense of them

Find noises you like when you get fed up I like to scrunch up paper if it all comes o much tke the

Processor off for a while give the brain a rest

Take care

Karenn

I guess I just expected more of a separation of sound. When I was first activated, I could hear this constant noise, which was the a/c (there was no way to turn it off in the room) and when the audi spoke, I would not have known if I didn't see her lips moving. I have been playing around with the magnet, taking it off briefly and putting it back on because, though I know my residual hearing is really not that great, I have heard things and they have surprised me that I've heard them. I have been wearing my aid in my left ear some, partially because when I need to communicate with someone and understand them, I can't always read their lips, and partially because my audi said it might help my brain to normalize the sounds in my right ear faster. I'm trying to make it more time without the aid on than with it on, but it's nice to have it in my ear and when I hear something I don't recognize, all I have to do is turn the aid on and I can usually figure out what the sound is, hopefully helping my brain make connections. I must admit, though, it's blissful right now to take it off at night! the silence is golden and I'm usually exhausted. Not getting a nap in yesterday or today hasn't helped! Hopefully I'll get to the library on Monday to find out about audiobooks and the matching printed book. I'm noticing that the tv is getting easier and it helps tremendously when the speech matches up to the captions. Sometimes it seems like it is so close to being clear (not necessarily the sound quality I want, but almost understandable) that I take my magnet off to make sure I'm not hearing everything with my residual hearing. Though I know my residual hearing would not pick up the sounds I'm hearing with the CI, I still have to do it and I'm surprised when I realize I really am hearing it with my CI! Of course, without the captions, it would be all  noise, but it's progress! Sometimes I find I'm able to go up to the next program setting, which is more volume, so that's exciting, too!

That's great your getting there with it ,and it's normal to be very tired the brain feels if its on overload

I can't use hearing aids as they don't work so. Have to lip read people if I don't hear them

Thankfully it Is getting easier but I still have to ask hubbie to repeat and voices I m not familiar with

Are still a problem ,subtitles can be a nightmare sometimes thy are not synced other omens they are just wrong

But some prerecorded programmes the subtitles do match and they are very good rehab,

It's great that you are moving up in the settings great feeling is nt your brain is saying hello need more sound here and up ypu go :)

Sounds like your doing great,

I don't like taking mine off at night as my world goes silent my residual hearing

Is nothing really to speak of and I can't wait to put it back on in the morning,

Keep going with the rehab warning about doing audio book with printed word books for some reason these do not always match

So someone at the libary otherwise the reader will be saying one thing and your eyes reading another and your poor brain will

Get lost!

Try and get some rest if possible two kids here so not easy but am trying

Karen

Ps the background noise should fade in time I am told but gee it's annoying is nt it a/c in cars and buildings music in various places which

At he moment kind of sounds like high pitched tin rattling mixed with ringing.

Karen - I'm using the ipad for the audi books rather  than the CD version, go to “App Store” icon, type in the search box top right hand corner and type in “Oxford University Press”

Chose which book from the library then click onto it for further details, at the moment I have “ Sherlock Holmes Stage 1” £5.49, the sounds quality is crystal clear, could be a little louder but it’s acceptable.

In your Med-el suitcase there should be a jack phone kit to connect from processor to ipad

Thanks for the link I also am using the ipad for them I have the text A app from the store I have download Sherlock Holmes Christmas carol and wizard of oz

They sounds fine if a bit monotone at the moment but find them a great help

Also using bbciplayer for some programes that sync subtitles they are few and far between I know but they are out there

These are a bit harder to listen too but my brain is getting a great workout

Sarah I don't know if you have a ipad if so this is better than CDs and books

Otherwise use the libary resources

Karen

Thanks for the link I also am using the ipad for them I have the text A app from the store I have download Sherlock Holmes Christmas carol and wizard of oz

They sounds fine if a bit monotone at the moment but find them a great help

Also using bbciplayer for some programes that sync subtitles they are few and far between I know but they are out there

These are a bit harder to listen too but my brain is getting a great workout

Sarah I don't know if you have a ipad if so this is better than CDs and books

Otherwise use the libary resources

Karen

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I can remember my first activation day. i went in with VERY low expectations so i don't think I was dissapointed per sey but for sure by the end of the day I was ready to get the thing off of my head. sensory overload bigtime. I am right there with ya in that i heard EVERYTHING!! most of it was agarbled mess at first. it does take time the that wonderful thing we call the brain to figure things out. keep with it and the more you practice, the better it will get.