Connectivity problem with iPhone iOS 14.5 and 14.5.1

Mary Beth

This reminds me of when the AudioLink first came out - seems like many users had to have the initial AudioLink replaced and the second one worked fine.   I wonder when a new device seems to have known problems and is replaced under warranty, what happens if down the road there is a problem (still within the warranty period) - does this mean it won't be replaced?  Is there a limit to the number of times something can be replaced under warranty?  Seems to me that when a number of people are having the same problem with a device that just hit the market, it shouldn't count as being replaced under warranty.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

In the US, the device (and it’s replacement(s) if applicable all share the initial warranty period and can be replaced whenever they are not working correctly.  

My concern is that the AudioStream has a shorter warranty period in the US than the processor so if this happens outside of its warranty, what then?  We need to purchase new AudioStreams again?  I believe I saw AudioStream listed as having only a two year warranty in the US.

@Mary Beth I had to look it up but in Canada (or at least my neck of the woods) the audio processor, FineTuner, coil, cable, battery frame and adapter are under warranty for 5 years from the date of initial activation when part of a new implant system, and for 3 years when purchased individually or as part of an upgrade kit. 

Everything else seems to vary, mostly between 90 days and one year.

For the AudioLink

·         AudioLink Main Unit - 2 year warranty

·         AudioLink Rechargeable Battery - 1 year warranty

·         AudioLink Docking Station – 90 day warranty

·         AudioLink Cables and Accessories - 90 day warranty

For the AudioStream, I believe it's a one year warranty (need to find my paperwork to confirm, but most things in my new implant system seemed to be one year or less - other than processor, FineTuner, coil, cable, battery frame and adapter).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

It seems to me that the AudioStream should have a warranty that equals the processor warranty.  After all several CI brands have the BTLE receivers built into their processors.  If Med-El’s BTLE receiver was built into the Sonnet/Sonnet2 it would be considered part of the processor and fall under the processor warranty.

Bilateral CI users need 2 AudioStreams which end up costing close to $600.  Top end BT, noise canceling headphones are available and also work well with Sonnet/Sonnet 2 and cost about $300-450 (and they stream from more than just phones/tablets).  My BOSE QC35 BT headphones have worked excellently for many years.

Personally, I fell in love with AudioStream and its direct connectivity to my iPhone.  I absolutely love it for music.  But I think it should have a longer warranty that matches the processor warranty.

People had been using AudioStream with their iPhones for weeks with great success.  Apple updated the iPhone operating system and AudioStream problems were being reported by many.  A lot of these people had to have their AudioStream covers replaced under warranty.  The new AudioStream covers paired with their iPhones running 14.5.1 and all is well.

What happens if a future upgrade on the iPhone operating system causes the same problem with AudioStream but the AudioStream is out of warranty?  We pay $600 for two new AudioStreams?

Tagging @MED-EL Moderator to suggest that all countries provide warranties on AudioStream covers that match their warranties on processors.  Please consider extending the warranties on AudioStream covers.  AudioStream is awesome!  But it is very expensive, especially for bilateral users.

• Like 2

Well everything was working great and I was listening to music through audio stream and it just disconnected and so far I cannot get it back so I’m not sure what’s happening this time hopefully I can figure it out very frustrating Especially after it worked so well for about a week and I agree the warranty should absolutely match makes perfect sense of course @Mary Beth

On 5/12/2021 at 3:24 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Ever since iPhones updated their software to version 14.5 and 14.5.1 AudioStream connectivity problems are being reported by so many AudioStream users.

Is there a fix for this?

AudioStream users have reset their AudioStream, had iPhones forget the devices, reset the phones, configured AudioStream through AudioKey2 app again and nothing works.

People using only one AudioStream are having success by avoiding the AudioKey 2 app and pairing the one AudioStream through iPhone- accessibility- hearing devices.

This is not an option for bilateral AudioStream users because both AudioStream show up as LEFT ear devices.

It’s sad because AudioStream is really terrific!

We need some help.  And a way to share how to fix this so everyone experiencing the problem can read it.

Thank you!

@Mary Beth thanks for tagging us and sorry about the late reply. I checked with our AudioStream experts and here is what they said: 

"To our experience so far, also based upon feedback from the field, we have only experienced a minor connectivity issue with AudioStream after the iOS 14.5.1 update. This is related to the iOS update and not to AudioStream.

There is a very easy workaround: Forgetting and repairing AudioStream in the "Hearing devices" menu under "Accessibility option". There is no need to reset the phone and reconfigure in AudioKey app. Also, there should not be any issue for bilateral users. And there is also no issue with the AudioKey app." 

However, of course we  are happy to support users experiencing issues. Please send us a direct message so we can get you in touch with our experts team here at HQ directly to find a solution:) Or please get in touch with your local rep directly for quick support in your area. 

Thank you! 
Verena 

19 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Lynda

It seems to me that the AudioStream should have a warranty that equals the processor warranty.  After all several CI brands have the BTLE receivers built into their processors.  If Med-El’s BTLE receiver was built into the Sonnet/Sonnet2 it would be considered part of the processor and fall under the processor warranty.

Bilateral CI users need 2 AudioStreams which end up costing close to $600.  Top end BT, noise canceling headphones are available and also work well with Sonnet/Sonnet 2 and cost about $300-450 (and they stream from more than just phones/tablets).  My BOSE QC35 BT headphones have worked excellently for many years.

Personally, I fell in love with AudioStream and its direct connectivity to my iPhone.  I absolutely love it for music.  But I think it should have a longer warranty that matches the processor warranty.

People had been using AudioStream with their iPhones for weeks with great success.  Apple updated the iPhone operating system and AudioStream problems were being reported by many.  A lot of these people had to have their AudioStream covers replaced under warranty.  The new AudioStream covers paired with their iPhones running 14.5.1 and all is well.

What happens if a future upgrade on the iPhone operating system causes the same problem with AudioStream but the AudioStream is out of warranty?  We pay $600 for two new AudioStreams?

Tagging @MED-EL Moderator to suggest that all countries provide warranties on AudioStream covers that match their warranties on processors.  Please consider extending the warranties on AudioStream covers.  AudioStream is awesome!  But it is very expensive, especially for bilateral users.

Thanks for your feedback @Mary Beth - we of course understand the importance of the warranty periods. I will forward your suggestion and feedback to the right teams here at MED-EL HQ! Best, Verena 

• Like 2

I am still without connectivity with my second audiostream. I cannot connect to my IPhone 11 Pro using all suggested moves since I updated IOS. It works beautifully on my IPad Air though.  I am traveling so I can use wifi calling with my IPad and IPhone which gives me audiostream via the IPad.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jullannie

let’s tag @MED-EL Moderator for some help. (See previous post)

Many people have tried the steps the AudioStream experts shared in the above quote and it did not work.

If Med-El is able to help you sort this out, please tell us how you did it.

@Jullannie @Mary Beth I'm also now on my 2nd non-working AudioStream no matter what we do can't get it back after working perfectly for 5 days. I was listening to music and it dropped AudioStream and nothing has worked. Def. everyone at Medel is working really hard to help me and I remain optimistic they will get it sorted out as I really do love it especially for my work / life style, will keep you posted with their next round of trying to get this figured out--cheers, jared

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney @MED-EL Moderator

That’s why I am baffled by the AudioStream experts quote above which says news from the field shows AudioStream is working fine and suggest forget the device as a solution which many have tried and it doesn’t work.  So many people are discussing this exact connectivity problem in various social media groups.  They are mentioning having their AudioStreams replaced.  They are commenting that Med-El US in house audiology is trying to help.  Some have AudioStreams that work now and others are still facing the same problem.

It’s quite baffling.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jullannieand @Jared Charney

In that post from @MED-EL Moderator, they ask people with connectivity problems to send them direct messages.  You can do that on HearPeers through mail.  Top menu, select envelope, in the TO type Med-El moderator without the @ and they should show up in a window where you select them.

• Like 2

@Mary Beth Yes, they have been helping as much as poss. through email and we even did a Zoom meeting, phone calls, they are very responsive -- seems to be the bane of their existence right now and again I would prob. just send it back but I really do love it etc (when working that is!)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

Exactly!  AudioStream is fabulous except for this significant connectivity issue.  And Med-El US in house Audiology team is awesome.

But how can the AudioStream experts in Innsbruck be so unaware of how many AudioStream users are experiencing problems?  After all don’t we need the AudioStream experts to help sort this out?

• HearPeers Heroes

@KittKatz

Scroll up and read this topic

Like you, others have had their AudioStreams replaced.  At first the new AudioStreams worked.  But then the connectivity problems happened again.

I guess I shouldn’t complain as others seem to have more serious problems but I’m frustrated with Audiostream and the lack of quality/accurate instructions to begin with and lack helpful tech support from MEDEL. To-date, Mary Beth has posted the only useful support I’ve seen. 

My issues pre-date updating the OS and thankfully, didn’t worsen with the update to 14.5.1. I have bilateral Sonnet 2s/Audiostreams and an 11 Pro. I haven’t dared try to synchronize my iPad!

Invariably, when I initiate streaming from my iPhone, despite indicating connection to both R and L Audiostreams in Accessibilty/Hearing devices, I only get streaming, often with a delay, to one side (seems random which side) if it streams at all (sometimes with phone calls pivots to speaker mode). I've tried all the recommended fixes and the result is the same. On the run, turning off and on the unconnected processor inconsistently leads to bilateral streaming. 

I also noticed that if I'm streaming a podcast and I put my phone in my front pocket, the connection is very precarious - drops one side or the other or both with minor turn of my head. I actually purchased a phone lanyard with minimal straps around the phone so it lies on my chest. Definite improvement but still oddly sensitive at times to my head movement. I would have thought in such close proximity that the bilateral connection would be consistent. 

These are not cheap devices so I believe it's perfectly reasonable for us to expect more from a high quality company like MEDEL. 

RMK

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

Have you been in contact yet with Med-El US in house audiology that is helping those with connectivity issues?

Have you had your AudioStream covers replaced under warranty?

I was able to leave the room and still hear clearly through AudioStream.  I have iPhone 8.

No to both. Based on others’ experiences described on this forum, I don't get the sense that either option has permanently solves the problems that users are having. 

Try putting your phone in your pocket while streaming. 

Thanks. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

I understand.

It’s just that there are several people having connectivity issues with AudioStream who are doing the same thing you are…. reading posts and waiting for a fix.  Which is fine of course.  I just think it is important for Med-El to see how many people are having connectivity issues so they can address it.  Just my opinion.

I borrowed a friend’s AudioStream covers and used them extensively for 4 days.  Then I returned them.  I did have my iPhone 8 in my pocket and both AudioStream covers worked fine.

However I have read about others who lose connection with AudioStream when their phones are in their pockets, so you are not alone.

It’s time for me to upgrade and AudioStream will come in the kits so I am temporarily without AudioStream covers.  I really LOVED how AudioStream sounded and worked during those 4 days.  I am getting concerned though after reading so many AudioStream users’ reports of connectivity issues.

• Like 1

My saga has continued to the point that they are going to replace my AudioStream yet again and with a new processor ! Should have later this week. My problem is that I don't do as much listening exercises without it bec. it's really ideal (when working that is) for my profession and being on the road etc. It's nice to know that they are really doing all they can, but I do wish I could know what's happening between Austria and here--updates to follow 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

Thanks for the update.

There is definitely something wrong.  

I wish there was information available to us all about this connectivity problem many users are having with AudioStream.

• Like 1

@Mary Bethyes I completely agree and while I'm quite grateful that they are doing what they can I am fairly certain that it will most likely just happen again. Medel audiology here in the US is really just doing their best to take out as many variables as poss. I think I will have my replacements on wed.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jullannie @Joe @Roy K. 

iPhone released 14.6 and one of the fixes is BT connectivity.

If you choose to update to 14.6, your AudioStream connectivity problems may improve.  It worked for @Jared Charney.

Update to 14.6

Accessibility…hearing devices and FORGET AudioStream 

Pair AudioStream again 

Maybe this will work for you too?  Let us know.