bonebridge surgery recovery

dunklefunk

hi I have just become the 3rd person in Sheffield area to receive Bonebridge implant, left side, to benefit one sided deafness. Surgeon Prof. did a fantastic job, neat scar right behind ear lobe. Very lucky to have this done through NHS. Can't wait for the processor now!Thanks to all the wonderful staff at Royal Hallamshire Hospital

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent Duncan - keep us in progress! :)

Why don't you start this topic as your personal blog: what have you reminded... or didn't... and so on...

We have on this forum people with various approach toward hearing rehabilitation after SSD. Very interested topic.

Keeping your notes will help you because with time you will lost your sense where did you started.

Best regards!

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Duncan

How are things going? Sharing your experience, if you choose to, can help manythat have been in your shoes before.

Adam

Guest duncan.waller

hi again I'm enjoying the samba guinea pig for Sheffield Hallamshire hospital. Been connected for a week now. Magnet no.5, proof I'm a thick skinned Yorkshireman! 4 different settings, universal, music listening, noisy environment and noisy environment with voice tracking. Saw audiologist on Tues to have master volume increased. Workwise (musician/teacher) I've noticed a difference, improved left side awareness and it's improved my singing, I can pitch better with the samba. Not tried it on a gig yet. Going to take some getting used to in social situations though and its still early days yet. Follow up appointment with audiologist in  5 weeks.

Duncan

p.s. if anyone wants to reply, please post on my 'Bonebridge' thread. Thanks 

• HearPeers Heroes

We are in the Bonebridge thread Duncan :D

Excellent to hear news from you!

• 1 year later...

Hi Ducan, can you write your experiences with the BB? I go to surgery next Thursday... I am SSD all life (I am 25 years).

What are the positive of the BB?

Thank you :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Susane :)

I am not Duncan but I might help.

Well, people usually describe more saturated sound so it should ease a little bit if you have a struggle listening in a noisy situation.

Unfortunately, you will not get sense of direction because your affected cochlea can not be revived on this way.

It can be, however, with a cochlear implant.

These are 2 different ways of approaching same problem.