bonebridge for left sided deafness

dunklefunk

Fantastic news guys. Can't wait to get connected and get back into the world of hearing again. x

• HearPeers Heroes

watch out!! Duncan added arp file picture! I guess that means he will be sticking around for a while

Alex, you're next.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest duncan.waller

hi Ivana, not sure if this answers your 'localising sound' question but the BB has not created a duplicate to my good ear, far from it, but neither did I expect it to. The human ear is of course a wonderful, complex piece of kit. Certain sounds the BB will really amplify eg tapping my foot on the floor, or just singing (which is great for my job!). My good ear tends to dominate, the BB 'assists' my left side. I'm starting to favour the 'noise reduction with voice tracking' program all the time which best enables me to sense someone talking to me on the left side for instance. There are 16 bands of eq on the BB I believe, which is alot, and I am hoping the audiologists might be able to create a customised program from scratch for me, with all the eq's set flat to start with. I'm always wanting more vocal volume out of the BB, I'm sure this can be achieved. Regards Duncan

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Duncan,

thank you for your comment - I ask you because I am professional interested within this matter. Clinicians have split their opinion what to do with single sided deaf persons: give them a bone conduction implant or cochlear implant. Sound localisation is pretty important when you evaluate what you can offer to people: i have to tell that to patients because this sensation people usually miss and ask for. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Duncan

It seems like it's been a great decision for you, choosing the BB. I also have left sided deafness and I'm looking at an implant. As a musician is it helpful? Would love an honest opinion on whether its been worth the process.

Cheers

Darrelle

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Duncan

It seems like it's been a great decision for you, choosing the BB. I also have left sided deafness and I'm looking at an implant. As a musician is it helpful? Would love an honest opinion on whether its been worth the process.

Cheers

Darrelle

Darrelle - Duncan have a single sided deafness caused by sensorineural hearing loss. For what I have understand you - you have a conductive hearing loss. Difference? Duncan's problem is within the hearing cells - yours are good, so his experience is more different than it will be yours. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi.

I recently suffered full SSHL on my left side. I'm still in the freak out mode and trying to work out how I can go forward. Apologies for the pity!

My first (of many I suspect) question is, is the Bonebridge applicable for me? My right side hearing is perfect. 

Some other random q's, how does it do in crowds, restaurants etc at cutting out background noise? Will it bring back the enjoyment of music or will it still sound mono?

Thanks in advance!   

18 minutes ago, AkSal said:

Hi.

I recently suffered full SSHL on my left side. I'm still in the freak out mode and trying to work out how I can go forward. Apologies for the pity!

My first (of many I suspect) question is, is the Bonebridge applicable for me? My right side hearing is perfect. 

Some other random q's, how does it do in crowds, restaurants etc at cutting out background noise? Will it bring back the enjoyment of music or will it still sound mono?

Thanks in advance!   

Oh and last question just to add, does it help with sound direction?

Also Alex, its been a couple of years now. How are you getting on. Any resemblance of life turning back to normal. Kind of terrified so hearing from you guys would be helpful.

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome!

Sudden hearing loss is a frightening experience.  No need to apologize.  We understand.

Single sided deaf people have several options to consider, including getting a cochlear implant on the deaf side.  That would give you two separate functioning sides, so you would still hear in stereo etc.  BoneBridge is also an option.  

I believe  I saw a page on the Med-El website that explained the options for single sided deaf people.  I will look for it and post a link if I find it.

hang in there.  There is hope.  Smile.  (As someone who was hearing for 13 years before losing her hearing and then regaining hearing through cochlear implants, I can attest to the amazing journey this can be.  I also vividly recall the emotional rollercoaster. Hang in there and ask as many questions as you want.)

I am going to tag Ivana to answer your BoneBridge questions.

@Ivana Marinac

14 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Hello and welcome!

Sudden hearing loss is a frightening experience.  No need to apologize.  We understand.

Single sided deaf people have several options to consider, including getting a cochlear implant on the deaf side.  That would give you two separate functioning sides, so you would still hear in stereo etc.  BoneBridge is also an option.  

I believe  I saw a page on the Med-El website that explained the options for single sided deaf people.  I will look for it and post a link if I find it.

hang in there.  There is hope.  Smile.  (As someone who was hearing for 13 years before losing her hearing and then regaining hearing through cochlear implants, I can attest to the amazing journey this can be.  I also vividly recall the emotional rollercoaster. Hang in there and ask as many questions as you want.)

I am going to tag Ivana to answer your BoneBridge questions.

@Ivana Marinac

Thanks or your reply! Can I ask, since your implant do you still feel hard of hearing? Or is your hearing back to as before.

Are you conscious of wearing the visible implant above your ear? Have you done any research on clinical trials of stem cells? Sorry for the scatter of questions, my minds all over the place!

11 minutes ago, AkSal said:

Thanks or your reply! Can I ask, since your implant do you still feel hard of hearing? Or is your hearing back to as before.

Are you conscious of wearing the visible implant above your ear? Have you done any research on clinical trials of stem cells? Sorry for the scatter of questions, my minds all over the place!

Also what is the sound on a CI like?

• HearPeers Heroes

For me, with bilateral CIs, I no longer feel hard-of-hearing.  But we are still hard-of-hearing.  I almost never need to ask for repeats.  I listen to and enjoy audiobooks, music, podcasts.  

This just happened last week.....I was listening to two people converse across a large room (about 15+ feet away).  I understood the whole conversation.  One person left.  I commented to my friend that the speaker sounded like she was from Michigan.  My friend thought her accent sounded Canadian.  Later we learned that she was from Wisconsin so my detection of a Midwest accent was accurate.  All from my bilateral CIs.  I love them.  I also have trained a lot.  I mean A LOT.  It did not just magically happen.

CIs were the right choice for me.  Best of luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had worn HAs for years so no problem wearing the CI processors.

After your brain adjusts to the CI, it sounds terrific.

Stem cell is still a future possibility.  I needed something now.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome to Hearpeers! I have a CI as well. Only one for now. I had meningitis as a baby so I don't know what normal hearing is like. The CI does sound slightly different. But it the new normal! You get used to it. I wore HAs for 22 years before my CI. So wearing it is fine. It was a bit heavier at first and with healing it took a bit if time to get used to it and what worked for me. My testimony though I would say it has saved my life!! I can participate in conversations. I can listen to music again.  I can talk on the phone again which most of these things I haven't done or done well for five years before my implant. So best of luck on your journey!

Kara?

I'm not doing well guys. Can't shake he feeling my whole life is going to fall apart. Would love to hear from more of you.

feeling the lowest I've ever felt. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Have you thought about reaching out to MedEl and ask for your regional COM to contact you?  She/he can put you in touch with users in your area.  Maybe you can meet up.  Where do you live?

I live in Bermuda. But I do go to New York a lot. I will probably do that. I'm still trying to come to terms with this and hoping suddenly it will change. 

Am I going to completely not be able to be in social situations anymore? That used to be a large part of my life? Work I should be able to deal with as it's an office, but island life is in large part socializing! 

• HearPeers Heroes

My CIs have opened up social opportunities for me.  Last summer I spent 8 days with our extended family on a cruise.  18 of us.  I had a blast and participated easily in everything.  I wish you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh I can communicate in large groups better too. I have a setting where I turn down the sensitivity and I can hear the people around me good. 

Any updates from anyone with bonebridge?

Thanks guys for your answers above!

• 5 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

And I am very, very, VERY late...

Pardon me Gang for my delayed response - so much came suddenly...:(

AkSal, from what you've written I understand that directionality is very important to you. Bonebridge can not help here, but a CI - can ;)

First researches then real patients learnt scientific community that, thankfully to the neuroplasticity, human brain can tolerate artificial sound at the begining which translates into a normal one after some time. Practice makes a master - not to forget, just like Mary Beth said. ;)

In social gatherings, a cocktail party effect is important - it depends on whether individual use both ears/cochleas or not. So this is another reason for a CI as the solution.