favorite tech for various uses

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Everyone is unique and our preferences for connectivity options vary.  I enjoy reading about which tech you use in your life for various purposes.  What are your favorite connectivity options and how do you use them in your daily life?

• HearPeers Heroes

My favorite tech for various uses (June 2021)

Hands free phone calls 

Sonnet2/Sonnet/OPUS2:  Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop

Rondo 3/Rondo 2/Rondo:  Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop

Audiobooks/podcasts from phone

Sonnet2/Sonnet/OPUS2:  Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop

Rondo 3/Rondo 2/Rondo:  Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop

Note: Rondo 3 requires the telecoil adapter.  If we want streamed audio only with Rondo 3, our audiologists need to create a MAP for telecoil only.

Music from phone

Sonnet2/Sonnet:  BOSE QC35 headphones, AudioStream (if it has reliable connectivity with your phone)

OPUS2:  BOSE QC35 headphones

Rondo 3/Rondo 2/Rondo:  CozyPhones flat speaker headband (wired option)

Remote microphone 

Roger Select and possibly the soon to be released Roger ON matched with an appropriate Roger receiver

Sonnet2/Sonnet:  Roger receiver options include Roger 21 integrated battery cover, Roger X (02) set to CI setting 3 (VERY IMPORTANT) plugged into FM battery cover, Roger neckloop/Roger MyLink neckloop (neckloop receivers require MT or T setting)

OPUS2:  Roger receiver options include Roger X (02) set to CI setting 2 (VERY IMPORTANT) plugged into FM battery cover, Roger neckloop/Roger MyLink neckloop (neckloop receivers require MT or T setting)

Rondo 3/Rondo 2/Rondo: Roger neckloop/Roger MyLink neckloop (neckloop receivers require MT or T setting)

Note: Rondo 3 requires the telecoil adapter.  If we want streamed audio only with Rondo 3, our audiologists need to create a MAP for telecoil only.

TV 

This depends on which tech we already use.

If we use the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop, then plugging the Artone TVB into the TV is best.

If we use Roger Select or the soon to be released Roger ON, then plugging its dock into the TV is best.

Computer/laptop

This is trickier as computer and laptop models work differently.

Possibilities include: BOSE QC35 for BTE processors, Artone TVB/Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop, Roger Select/Roger receiver.

@Mary Beth I wear bilateral Rondo2s and love my Artone 3 MAX neckloop. I use it exclusively for listening to music, audiobooks, and hands free calls on my cellphone, audiobooks on my iPad, and, with the Artone TVB, listening to television. 

• Like 2

Sonnet 2 ( EAS Activated ) and a Phonak HA, 
My Sonnet 2 has the optional Battery covers that provide. 
1: Phonak Bluetooth
2: Audio Stream ( Apple iOS ) 
3: Audio Link ( Med_EL ) 

I use an array of devices, I have 2 Phonak (roger) Pens, that are brilliant for phone calls etc, no other "Middle man" devices needed they also have charging docks that do have a 3.5mm (1/4") audio jack for streaming music or any audio source with an Audio Out. The sound quality of the Pen is no where near as good though as the Phonak iSelect (which I nickname the hockey puck ). The Pen's microphone can also be used for example in a car worn by a passenger transmitting their voice straight to you as you drive. The Roger / Phonak iSelect does not offer phone integration but is much better for group environments with 6 built in microphones all individually able to be switched on or off, so placing it in the middle of a table for example and turning off the microphone facing yourself allows you to direct the input for your best results. The iSelect also has charging docks with a 3.5mm (1/4") audio input, I personally find the frequency range and tonal quality of the iSelect WAY better than the Pen. I Have 2 Docks on in my living area attached to the TV / Home Theatre receiver and another in my office streaming my computers Audio Interface, allowing me to just take it from room to room. 

The advantage of the Apple Audio Stream is that it is direct into my CI Only so for rehab and audiobook listening it is MUCH better quality than any middle man system. 

Ask away if you have questions. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Joan and @John R for sharing your favorite connectivity devices.

John, the Select does have BT connectivity for phone calls.  Check out these pics.  I have not tried my Select for phone calls.  If you give it a try, I would love to hear your comparison of phone calls with the Select versus the Pen.

6C5ADF35-F5EB-4110-BE64-1068ACEACA31.png

135066D9-20F3-41ED-B8CD-150F502D969E.png

8F10D745-5E3A-4029-9E33-49E1CFD09B01.png

ED2C66A9-4775-4BAE-B403-FCED029601F3.png

97175F40-83C4-4F51-8198-AF5792166365.png

FB0F0B8D-3626-4C69-8BA8-9A8E46503BA4.png

7C6DC961-583C-49C5-9FF7-CFBCFE0945D7.png

156FBF4D-C65F-4409-BAFB-553596AC33E3.png

3 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

John, the Select does have BT connectivity for phone calls.  

@Mary Beth this is true, however it does not have the convenience of the "Answer / End call" buttons built in as the pen does, so if driving etc the Select is not as convenient. its a little fiddly getting the right combination of what to touch and hit etc at that moment a call comes in. if that makes sense?
Typically if receiving a call I find with any device you have to tell the person on the other end to be patient as you set stuff up and get your head switched on. which with the Select can easier result in accidentally ending the call. :) Oooops 

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

That makes sense.  Buttons are helpful while driving.

For me the Artone neckloop is easiest for calls.  We accept and end the call all on the small Artone.  No need for anything else.  Of course we must be in MT setting.

In my car I just use the car’s stereo system for calls.  Our car has a good sound system fortunately.

I am looking forward to when direct BT connectivity with a mic that picks up our voices for others is built into the Med-El BTE processor.  Truly hands free.  Steady power supply to the BT internal receiver.  

@Mary Beth Like you, I also use only my car’s BT audio system while driving to receive calls and listen to audiobooks and music on my cellphone. This allows me to remain on M and not need to use my telecoil, thereby eliminating EMI from my car’s electronics.

Is there more information about the new Roger ON?  It sounds interesting.

Edit:  never mind.  Literally a thread right below this!  (Had new posts only showing.  Sorry)

Edit 2:  I do wonder about folks who wear an Oticon HA + CI.  Phonak HA have full BT whereas the other major brands, save maybe one has BLE.  Hmm maybe I’ll pose the question on Facebook as well! 🕺🏻

Edited by John F

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

Oticon broke away on its own path and has its own proprietary remote mic system for Oticon only.  Their remote mics are not as advanced as the multi beam, multiple mics and adaptive in noise features of Phonak Roger.

But there are ways to use Roger with Oticon HAs.

1) Purchase an Oticon battery door that has a Euro plug (3 holes) for direct audio input.  Also purchase a Roger X (02) receiver that will plug into those 3 holes.  (Many are available on eBay.  Connevans in the UK ships also.)

OR

2) Have your audiologist turn on the telecoil in your Oticon HA.  Purchase either the Roger MyLink (MUST say ROGER) or the newer Roger neckloop and use MT or T settings.

OR

3) Purchase the Oticon EduMic that has a FM jack (3 holes) on the bottom.  Also purchase a Roger X (02) receiver that will plug into those 3 holes.  (Many are available on eBay.  Connevans in the UK ships also.)

Hi

bilateral Sonnet user

I have BT Bose headphones that I use for listening to music and for online meeting. 

Roger pen with Roger 21 for in person meetings and one on one training sessions at work 

I have tried the roger pen with BT to listen to music from phone but wasn't a fan of range of sounds- I understand the roger pen is design for speech so it cuts out sounds other than voices.

I'd like to try the pen for music but while plugged in media source via USB cable. I understand it's possible to take voice calls this way as well. I was wondering if the sound quality is significantly better when pen in directly plugged into media source vs connected via BT. 

I also use DAI cables to listen to music through my phone.  

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki

Both Roger Pen and Roger Select (and Med-Eli’s AudioLink too) have very limited BT connectivity for phone call protocol only.  When we use BT on these devices for other types of audio, like music or audiobooks or apps, we need to use an A2DP converter app which basically converts the audio to phone call protocol.  Never a great sound quality compared to direct cabled audio or BT headphones like BOSE.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am still experimenting with various accessories. And being SSD, my preference at any time depends on whether I'm 'practising' or listening for pure pleasure.

Music: practise = Audiostream (was Artone until Audiostream arrived!), pleasure = Bose quietcomfort headphones

Podcasts: audiobooks: practise = Audiostream (similarly was Artone), pleasure = Bose quietcomfort headphones

Phone calls: just my phone on my better ear!  I really should practise that more with my CI...

Car phone calls or music: car speakers

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

The only thing I use is the Artone neckloop, for conference calls at work.  I don't talk on the phone other than at work (sorry, I just don't like it and only do it if I'm being paid to) and my car sound system sound great with just my CIs.  Same with TV, I just watch with my CIs (and I do leave on the closed captioning).

• 2 weeks later...

I am bilateral (both processors are Sonnet 2).

For TV and laptop, I use AudioLink (I used the AudioLink when I only had one CI - now that I have two, I find I hardly need the captioning).

For music on my phone, I use AudioStream (I have two AudioStreams, one for each processor).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Do you plug the AudioLink dock into your TV or just set the AudioLink near your TV speaker?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

How are things going with your AudioStreams lately?

@Mary BethI'm too cheap to have a data plan on my phone so I can only use Spotify with wifi.  We don't have wifi at the campground so I won't be using the AudioStreams much in the summer (I'm just in town for a few days and saw your post).  I'm sure that in the fall I will be using them daily.

• Like 2