SSD - Activated and needing rehab advice

pester123

Hi,

I am currently 1 week post activation with unilateral deafness and finding my new CI very difficult to adapt to. So far I haven't spent time isolating the new CI with any audio books or rehab programmes and was wondering what would be the best material to do so?

I can't yet make out speech through the CI when it is isolated from my good ear and have read the only way to do so is with practice. If anyone here is successfully integrated to their CI with SSD I would love to hear from you and follow any advice on rehabilitation.  

Thanks in advance.

James 

• HearPeers Heroes

3 P's James.

Practice, perseverance and patience.

• HearPeers Heroes

Amen Matt

How are ya mate?

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi James - try to contact Wyndon: she has been writing about her experience.

Regarding your second question: try with as simplier as you can find - children books are good example. Also - without hard exercise (even if you do not understand anything) there won't be any real progress.

Hi Matt - long time not read you too! As Adam here also - who will revive JOHN? :)

Thanks for your response guys! Anyone else with advice on material to use would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 

• HearPeers Heroes

Amen Matt

How are ya mate?

Adam

Hi Matt - long time not read you too! As Adam here also - who will revive JOHN? :)

Hello strangers, nice to hear from you both.

I'm pretty good apart from a broken ankle - damn car drivers have it in for me!

I'm heading back to the US in November and then down to Chile, Argentina and ??

How's your head Adam? Not that there's much they can do about the outside.  :lol:

• HearPeers Heroes

That's right Matt. Uglier than ever. I had a brain surgery this past October, then again in December. That makes 37 for me. I asked them to install a zipper to make the next surgery esker but they wouldn't go for it. I am back to exercising and work. Feeling strong as ever.

• HearPeers Heroes

James

You will get there! It is going to take some time. You will have really good days and not so good days. This is totally normal. Each brain adapts at different rates. As Matt pointed out, remember the 3 P's. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

That's right Matt. Uglier than ever. I had a brain surgery this past October, then again in December. That makes 37 for me. I asked them to install a zipper to make the next surgery esker but they wouldn't go for it. I am back to exercising and work. Feeling strong as ever.

Zipper you said?  :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello strangers, nice to hear from you both.

I'm pretty good apart from a broken ankle - damn car drivers have it in for me!

I'm heading back to the US in November and then down to Chile, Argentina and ??

How's your head Adam? Not that there's much they can do about the outside.  :lol:

4 Riders of the Apocalypse... B)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for your response guys! Anyone else with advice on material to use would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 

James - have you seen this?

http://www.medel.com/media-gallery-print-materials-rehab/

• HearPeers Heroes

James,

Choose any children's books that you are familiar with. Some libraries have the book and audio. Listening to the story and reading along will really help.

You can also practice the same way with friends and family. Write down a few sentences, have the person read it out loud and you follow along

Ivana - Thanks for the Med-el link that's very useful. I have heard that Angel Sound is good, however, it is only compatible with Windows and I am currently running a Mac - they do have an iPhone app I have downloaded and I would like to know if the same amount of material is available on their mobile format. 

Adam - I think PPP is definitely the key and the three most valuable letters yourself and other users here can vouch for, although my hands are tied at the moment until I receive my personal audio cable in the post - highly frustrating as I am 2 weeks activated and really want to knuckle down with some rehab work.

• HearPeers Heroes

James, what are you waiting for? That has got to be frustrating. I can remember waiting to be activated and it seemed like forever before the day came. Please let us know how you are doing.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana - Thanks for the Med-el link that's very useful. I have heard that Angel Sound is good, however, it is only compatible with Windows and I am currently running a Mac - they do have an iPhone app I have downloaded and I would like to know if the same amount of material is available on their mobile format. 

Adam - I think PPP is definitely the key and the three most valuable letters yourself and other users here can vouch for, although my hands are tied at the moment until I receive my personal audio cable in the post - highly frustrating as I am 2 weeks activated and really want to knuckle down with some rehab work.

James - I am glad you've found it useful: I am not certain but we have here group of our moderators - try to contact Thomas Hutter. He provides technical support - maybe he knows more. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

James, can you update us on how you are doing?

Matt when and where will you be in the U.S.?

• HearPeers Heroes

James, can you update us on how you are doing?

Ditto - how are you mate?

Matt when and where will you be in the U.S.?

Plan is to get there - San Diego - early November and then head down to Chile with the bike. Probably flying the bike and me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Matt

That would be a little far for us to meet. :0)

Maybe next time you want to explore the east coast on your bike. I might even feed you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Matt

That would be a little far for us to meet. :0)

Maybe next time you want to explore the east coast on your bike. I might even feed you.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

• 4 weeks later...

If you do get access to either the sound and Way Beyond Program or Angel Sound,  remember that there are different modules that can help for different levels of understanding. It has helped me to move from basic tone recognition, to picking the correct word on the screen within a specific context. Then once you have success with that you can move to what is labeled as open settings within both programs and I would recommend the numbers practice first because you simply move up to a larger variety of choices to pick from. Concatenated sentances followed for me and more recently I have been working on the practice where you listen to a word and type it in. (It has been a year and a half since activation for me, so don't worry if these transitions take a while with your outside processor.) I still have a good bit of work to do on the subject and wonder if anyone has any suggestions about raising phoneme recognition. As your audiologist have probably told some of you a phoneme is the most basic unit of speech used to tell what someone is saying. Does anyone know of a program that works with specific phonemes that is not a app, but can be found online?

• HearPeers Heroes

Like everyone has said, the 3Ps. My audiologist also suggested children's books, audio as I read along. I also had a friend come over three or four times a week and she would say numbers and I would repeat them. We also did lists by categories: vegetables, colours, furniture in different rooms, animals, countries, whatever you want. I keep the television sound on to become used to sounds and I put myself in situations that before my CI, I felt uncomfortable or would make excuses not to go. Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
Hello,

I am freshly after implantation (22 September 2015, yesterday I had activation). I lost hearing in my right ear few years ago. My left ear is quite fine (it had sudden hearing loss attacks too, but survived in good shape ;) ), meaning I can hear everything, but I have communication problems such as sound localization, staying focused in loud, noisy places, or chatting in crowded places with more than one person. I got Sonnet audio processor and Synchrony implant. 

Since I am in a first month after implantation I wanted to ask, how can I maximize the process of rehabilitation? I know that I have to use Sonnet programmes, 1,2,3,4, in following 4 weeks, which will intensify stimuli I get from audio processor and I also have to read at loud for 20 minutes and just use audio processor and listen intently to sounds of environment, but just wanted to ask other implanted users how yours rehabilitation looks/looked like on this stage?

Right now I barely hear anything in my right ear - some buzzing, humming, metallic noise. I don't understand anything and don't recognize words/sentences. I know that this is normal, but that's why I am asking how to practice with this state of things. :P

Ps. And how does it look in next months? I understand that it's basically my own work (with books, reading, or Medel stuff you mentioned) but do I have to attend some tests or/and have my own therapist?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome. I found the ABClix app very helpful at first. You can download it from the app,store. It just starts by presenting words that are different lengths so you are just trying to count how many parts you hear.

• HearPeers Heroes

It will get much better. You need to think of the 3 p's. Practice, patience and persistence. The Medel website has some practice programs but there is a lot you can do at home.

Your brain is still relearning how to make out this new language that it is hearing. This is why the localization isn't quite there yet as well as speech recognition.

Get some children's books that have audio cd that goes along with it. That way you can read along as you listen. Pick books that are familiar to you from your childhood as they should help you recognize the words quicker. If you have closed captioning on the TV, read along with what they are saying. This also really helps in recognizing your own voice.

You can get some friends to help you as well. Write down a 2 or 3 sentence conversation with each of you having a part. Again, have the person say the first sentence as you read along, then you respond. Later on you can do this same exercise when you are ready to try using the phone.

There are many practice models out there. This is just a couple to get you started.

Congratulations on your new hearing journey. Please let us know how you are doing and ask as many questions as you would like.

Your bionic buddy

Adam