WOW moments from this month

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello HearPeers!

I love reading about CI WOW moments from new CI users as well as established CI users.

What have been some of your WOW moments recently?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been using CIs for six years already.  Time flies!

Recent WOW moments for me;

-identifying the direction of loud firecrackers even though at first family members had difficulty knowing where the sounds came from

-hearing well with Rondos in waterwear under a Nammucap during eye surgeries 

• Like 4

@Mary Beth Been on my CI journey for seven years now and it amazes me that WOW moments continue to happen!

My most recent…thought I had lost a small earring, then later changed my shirt. Although I didn’t see or feel it, I actually heard the earring when it fell from my shirt and landed on the carpet! Love my CIs!😊

• Like 7

• HearPeers Heroes

I wore my Audiostream all day while running errands and food shopping today. I enjoyed listening to podcasts and understanding the vast majority of the dialogue! It feels like 'free' rehab time 🐵

I'm still super new to my CI but my first WOW moment was literally after my audiologist put my Sonnet 2 processor on and I realized that I couldn't hear my tinnitus. Considering how much depression it caused me for nearly four years I am pretty sure it goes way beyond WOW! It's so nice to have something to feel so grateful for each and every day. My 2nd WOW moment came when I realized I could localize sound and especially when I am working this makes me much calmer as my brain doesn't have to frantically scan to "find" where sound comes from and honestly if I can't figure out where the sound is coming from I'm not worried about it. Maybe 2 months after activation my next WOW moment came when streaming to my CI and I realized that I could hear people's accents especially for example someone from the UK, etc. I look forward to a new WOW moment soon!

1.  Opened a can of ginger ale and then some serious fizz-fizz-wow

it was so loud, at this point I find it hard to believe I have disregarded or didn't hear it in the past(????!!)

2. Today at work, making software adjustments to very large database (task requiring concentration) while listening to funny podcast on spotify (roger pen plugged into same computer). Had some good laughs -don't think I missed any.  Can't recall when was the last time listening in background was so effortless and enjoyable. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Today I had 2 more WOW moments.

I was taking my 4 month old nephew on a walk in his stroller.  It was really windy and the wind noise in my Sonnets was loud and constant.  Then I heard a gentleman loud and clear from behind me say “passing on the left”.  I steered the stroller to the right and he biked on by saying “have a nice day”.   Smile.  It’s the little unexpected exchanges that make me smile.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 3:09 PM, Jared Charney said:

I'm still super new to my CI but my first WOW moment was literally after my audiologist put my Sonnet 2 processor on and I realized that I couldn't hear my tinnitus. Considering how much depression it caused me for nearly four years I am pretty sure it goes way beyond WOW! It's so nice to have something to feel so grateful for each and every day. My 2nd WOW moment came when I realized I could localize sound and especially when I am working this makes me much calmer as my brain doesn't have to frantically scan to "find" where sound comes from and honestly if I can't figure out where the sound is coming from I'm not worried about it. Maybe 2 months after activation my next WOW moment came when streaming to my CI and I realized that I could hear people's accents especially for example someone from the UK, etc. I look forward to a new WOW moment soon!

This is so settling to hear.  Congratulations on these amazing moments and pushing through for some relief in your mental struggles with what impact tinnitus can have on us.    So great to "feel" the excitement in your words and I look forward to these moments also and perhaps having that WOW where my tinnitus may be distracted or turned off momentarily also. I have struggled heavily with anxiety, depression and recently have been diagnosed Bipolar 2.   My activation date is still 3 weeks yet but I am so excited to see.  The healing has been an exciting enough step, my sons think it is so cool their dad is super hero with bionics in his head <3!

take care, be well!

And don't forget 
You are enough, you deserve this, you can do it & I know you can! 

@singlesideddeafdad your WOW moments are coming! Be sure to post your first, and many others, after your activation. Your sons are right…their dad is a bionic super hero!😊

• Like 3

Thanks Joan !  I very much look forward to that and know that the domino effect has already begun as receiving the implant has been a WOW already!

• Like 2

@singlesideddeafdad you certainly have had your first WOW! I hope your recovery is going well. You definitely are on your way in an incredible CI journey. Wishing you all the best!

• Like 2

@singlesideddeafdadI wish you all the luck in the world as my next WOW moment category if you will happened when my wife and I were able to take a week away from reality. This is my first trip post surgery and first since COVID started. I found that without being hampered by the tinnitus and with using my AudioLink when going out for dinners to cut out the background noise truly I know that I have been given a huge part of my life back even though it's only been about 6 months and I'm still so far away from where I hope to be. This is really what I find the most remarkable for me: things are far from perfect but taking tinnitus out of the equation has helped my mental health immeasurably -- take care!

• Like 3

Its only been two weeks but I'm hearing birds I previously wasn't able to hear and the lane departure alert in my car. For the former, I was competing for window space with my cats to oogle at the birds. For the latter if I wasn't used to seeing the HUD visual alert I might not have been able to place the sound. As for tinnitus, I still have it but its blessedly lower in pitch/tone and softer/quieter.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Today I went to a yoga class. The teacher walked all around the echoey hall and I heard her clearly from all directions! I was very pleased.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Awesome @Kylie!  A definite benefit from hearing with two ears!

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Today after 3 years of having a CI, I had a new wow moment! The person sitting across from me was on the phone and she had the phone to her ear and I was able to make out what the person was saying to her on the phone! 

Not bad for someone who hasn't had a mapping in almost 2 years! 😊

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes
On 8/28/2021 at 7:46 PM, Jewel said:

Today after 3 years of having a CI, I had a new wow moment! The person sitting across from me was on the phone and she had the phone to her ear and I was able to make out what the person was saying to her on the phone! 

Not bad for someone who hasn't had a mapping in almost 2 years! 😊

Have you felt like you wanted one?  Mapping, I mean.  I've been really happy with the ones I have and haven't missed getting re-mapped at all.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Featherston said:

Have you felt like you wanted one?  Mapping, I mean.  I've been really happy with the ones I have and haven't missed getting re-mapped at all.

Yes @Mary Featherston. I could do with a bit more volume but I am managing.

I didn't think I got a great mapping session in October 2019 as I went to a new CI center location and it doesn't seem like that location is accustomed to having overseas patients. So they had me waiting very long before I got to see my audi and then she rushed things as she had another patient scheduled right after me. My Rondo2 is louder than my Sonnet right now. 

When was your last mapping? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jeweland @Mary Featherston

I have two sides that respond to my CI MAPs completely opposite.  My right side loves the same MAP for years.  And my left side needs tweaks almost every 6 months .

• HearPeers Heroes
10 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jeweland @Mary Featherston

I have two sides that respond to my CI MAPs completely opposite.  My right side loves the same MAP for years.  And my left side needs tweaks almost every 6 months .

That's interesting.  Do you understand what causes that?  I'd have thought that since it was the same brain, that the two sides should be fairly similar.

Jewel, my last mapping was....wow, let's see.  I was supposed to go in .... February of 2020.  But that got cancelled due to COVID.  And before that it was, I think, September 2019.  So that would be two years.  But it seems fine.  (Both sides!)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Yes.  My left ear is very tricky to MAP. But fortunately we always figure out a great MAP for it each time.

But honestly, it would be nice if it was as stable as my right side. Smile

• Like 1