Understanding speech with CI

Robbie kologinczak

I had my implant activated about 10 weeks ago. I am frustrated because I still can’t understand speech without my hearing aid in the other ear.  Is this normal? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Robbie kologinczak

Congratulations on your CI!

Which CI processor are you using?

Which CI center do you go to?

Everyone’s journey starts off differently.  Working on aural rehab everyday with my CI ear alone helped me a lot!  Have you tried the free app Word Success?  It’s a great place to start.  Also check out our rehab se room for lots of training suggestions.

How many appointments with your CI audiologist have you had since activation?

Hi there!  I have med-el with the sonnet 2 I think. I go to an audiologist in Nashville. I’d really like to Hear from people on how Long it takes. What is the app word success?  I have had 2 mappings.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Robbie kologinczak

It just varies.  Some people start understanding speech right in the audiologist’s office after activation.  Some people start understanding speech hours later.  Others weeks or months later.

Are you in touch with your Med-El Consumer Engagement Manager?  You can schedule a 1:1 captioned video meeting.  Here is a link to register for a 1:1.

https://web.cvent.com/event/83dcc26c-a403-48ce-a320-804c83b0ca82/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

38E823F9-9F9D-40E6-A096-EB9BAD7509B3.png

2 mappings in 10 weeks? I had 4 in the first 5 weeks. Ok it may be different here in Germany. 

Could you please give us some history from your hearing? It is very dependent on one's hearing journey. 

Well I started losing my hearing when I was 30 yes old and has slowly gotten worse. Last year when I went for hearing test I had lost all hearing in right ear so I have an implant in my right ear and hearing aid in the other ear. I just want to know if there is anybody out there like me. I’m worried I’ll never be able to understand speech!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Robbie kologinczak

My CI journey started with just static and beeps.  I did not understand speech at activation.  Practicing aural rehab everyday helped me a lot.  Your CI center may be able to put you in touch with someone to guide your aural rehab.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Robbie kologinczak

Yes! I hear and understand speech, music, phone calls….. it is wonderful.

But it all started with static and beeps and lots of aural rehab!

This link gives you more of my story if interested.

https://cochlearimplantbasics.com/2021/06/mary-beth-napoli/

• HearPeers Heroes

@Robbie kologinczak

Word Success

You need to set up an account just the fist time.  Use a different email address and set a new password.

• HearPeers Heroes

Try using a capital letter and numbers and symbols

@Robbie kologinczak Ok, great. I think the password format needs a capital letter and, possibly, a number included in it. Let us know if you have further issues with it.

It was around 2 months for me, too, before I could understand speech without lip reading.  I also wore my HA in the non implanted ear during the 90 days between the first and second implants.  Are you noticing any improvement in the quality of the sound of human voices?  For me, at first, human voices were not distinguishable as such.  Over those next weeks, the quality of the sound improved but it was slow.  Then one day, my daughter walked into my office saying something to me while my back was turned.   To our shock, I answered her.   Music took much, much longer to be decipherable as such.  

Hi Karen. I am understand some speech but it’s hard. Maybe it’s because I’m a slow learner! But it’s been about 10 weeks now. Maybe I’m just expecting too much

9 hours ago, Robbie kologinczak said:

Hi Karen. I am understand some speech but it’s hard. Maybe it’s because I’m a slow learner! But it’s been about 10 weeks now. Maybe I’m just expecting too much

I was reading through the thread to get more of the details of your situation.  Do you intend to get the other side implanted or continue to be bimodal?  Meaning implant on one side and hearing aid on the other.  

I would venture that being bimodal might be hindering your progress.  A hearing  aid only amplifies sound, through a damaged cochlea.  A CI directly stimulates the auditory nerve which is what creates the new way of processing sound for your brain.  That is greatly simplifying what really happens but your brain could be struggling to balance the 2 sides.  
it is kind of comparing apples to oranges.  I heard environmental sounds that I never heard before with hearing aids.  The quality of sound was entirely different with both CIs, for example,  being able to hear consonants in speech.  Once music “came back”, it was amazing to be able to pick out individual instruments at a symphony concert and hearing the resonance of the strings  as I played the piano, particularly the bass notes.  I can hear bird song inside my house with the windows closed.  Water running which is great in not leaving a faucet running anymore!  Microwave and oven timer beeps.  All sounds that I never heard with hearing aids.