What to expect from a Nervous Nelly

twinelm

1 hour ago, Tommy C said:

@twinelm I was implanted on my left side in August 2019 at UTSW Medical Center in Dallas. I experienced only minor discomfort at the incision site and did not take any pain meds, though they sent me home with the medications. It was discomfort not pain. At activation I was understanding speech from the audiologists before the session was over. Within three or four days I could carry on a normal conversation with my wife in a quite atmosphere. Between one and two weeks I completely understood audio books on my iPad. I had to hold the iPad speaker up at chest level but after the next mapping session I could lay the iPad on the table next to my chair and understand it well. I did have problems understanding some people on the phone. I think that my phone was going bad because when I got a new phone there was great improvement. I also had and still have a problem with the sound on the TV. I can understand it but it does not sound good so I use headphones to watch TV. The sound is perfect with the headphones. I started this journey with only 12% of my hearing, I now score 87 % on the word recognition test. Having this surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made. I forgot to mention I have Rondo 2 and Sonnet 2 processors. 

That is so encouraging, Tommy. Especially about how soon you noticed improvements in hearing.  I am working in a field that requires almost constant meetings and discussions and it is so discouraging to miss as much as I do. Really looking forward to making progress toward normalcy.

Tell me, how is music for you?

6 minutes ago, twinelm said:

That is so encouraging, Tommy. Especially about how soon you noticed improvements in hearing.  I am working in a field that requires almost constant meetings and discussions and it is so discouraging to miss as much as I do. Really looking forward to making progress toward normalcy.

Tell me, how is music for you?

Music is somewhat of a problem, music with multiple instruments types does not sound good at all but single instruments and voice sound great. Multiple musical instruments sound like static at first but has improved over time, but not to the point of sounding good. It is not important to me so I have not worked on it very much therefore progress has been slow.

Music is important to me so hoping I get some of it back, though speech is my primary focus right now as it impacts me financially and socially! Mostly I am very excited that I now have HOPE after struggling and being so isolated for the past 3 months.

16 hours ago, Tommy C said:

Music is somewhat of a problem, music with multiple instruments types does not sound good at all but single instruments and voice sound great. Multiple musical instruments sound like static at first but has improved over time, but not to the point of sounding good. It is not important to me so I have not worked on it very much therefore progress has been slow.

That’s going to be interesting for me. The lady at church that plays piano cranks the volume up so loud you can barely hear yourself sing. I can see having to remove the processor while she is at the keyboard. 

1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Eric in Tulsa

Sometimes it can be helpful to have a volume control! Smile

Remember, I’ve never had hearing aids, so I forget that’s an option. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

Good point!

Our processors are programmed not to become uncomfortably loud.  Our audiologists set the maximum loudness for each electrode.  So as long as we provide accurate information on when things are loud but not uncomfortable, we are protected from uncomfortable loudness.

That piano player may not fall into uncomfortable loudness though…..  so then volume control will be your friend.

I never need to adjust volume throughout my day.  My CI MAPs (programs) handle volume automatically and it is always fine.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 3:44 PM, twinelm said:

Thank you, for your wisdom, John. How hard has it been to master how to hear with the CI? Was it difficult or frustrating?

So, while I wouldn’t say it’s been difficult, there has definitely been frustrations.  Speech has been fine and came through pretty quick, although I had to get Audi to help decipher how to tone down environmental noises as they were overwhelming speech overall.  

Music is where my impatience and frustration has rested solely.  But, music is also much more involved and complicated for the brain than speech.  So I’ve hit a wall and it’s just a matter of chipping away at it until I can go up against the next hurdle.  We did create a music program the last map session but right now it’s 50/50 whether it helps or not and time will tell since everybody keeps telling me it’s still early.  I’m a professional musician sooo… we shall see.  

Oh, wow, I can imagine how important music is for you. It sounds like you are highly motivated though, hoping you get good music comprehension back soon!

I really miss listening to it and am looking forward to being able to enjoy it again but of course understanding speech again is first and foremost.

The waiting is difficult  counting the days til the 27th.

So update to this thread is non emergency surgeries have been put on hold in Texas due to delta Covid surge. Much uncertainty in scheduling but will likely be a delay of at least a month or more.

• Sad 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@twinelm

I was wondering if that would impact your surgery date.  Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi twinelm...my surg date is the 27th also...i have not heard of any postponement, and a covid test is required the day before.  Anxious as heck! I wont have time of surg unil late today or tomorrow. Tomorrow i have half day of appointments ending with equipment selection and signature lol. Ive decided on medel, and looks like i might get pink and white colors lol! I have too much time on my hands...good luck and see you here in "recovery" ,

Di

Ps, dont watch the reality vid ha ha

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, Dianna said:

Hi twinelm...my surg date is the 27th also...i have not heard of any postponement, and a covid test is required the day before.  Anxious as heck! I wont have time of surg unil late today or tomorrow. Tomorrow i have half day of appointments ending with equipment selection and signature lol. Ive decided on medel, and looks like i might get pink and white colors lol! I have too much time on my hands...good luck and see you here in "recovery" ,

Di

Ps, dont watch the reality vid ha ha

So Dianna, did you get to have your surgery?

So this Nervous Nelly is too excited now to be nervous any longer. After having my surgery put off 6-7 weeks ago for the delta surge, it is back on for October 22nd, less than a week!

1 hour ago, twinelm said:

So Dianna, did you get to have your surgery?

Hi! Yes, and activated sep 10! I am progressing well. I rehab every day, can hear music better, and hearing sounds ive not heard before,  i am very happy! I had the boob bandage for two days, not much pain, it was so much easier than i thought! I hope yours is the same! And just in time for our show and tells, im excited. Only  few days for you, csnt wait for your story!

Di