Upcoming Surgical Consult

Eric in Tulsa

My Surgical Consult for implant surgery is coming up on Monday, August 16. I’ve decided that I want the Med-El Flexsoft array in as long an array as they can implant. 
Beyond when is the surgery and how should I prepare for it, what else should I ask?

This will not be my first surgery with general anesthesia. I’ve had bypass surgery, two shoulder surgeries, foot surgery, and prostate surgery that all required general anesthesia. So as you can see, I’ve been in the operating room more than most people. 
This will however, be my first ear surgery. I’ve already had the latest and greatest prevnar vaccine, so I can check that box. What other boxes will I need to check?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

FlexSoft is the longest electrode array in the FLEX series of electrode arrays. I have the flex28 electrode array on my left side.

Everyone’s cochleas are unique.  Both in length and other features.  Your surgeon will be able to explain which of the many Med-El electrode arrays would be best for your unique cochlea and why.  Med-El electrode array options are the reason I chose Med-El .

Good luck at your appt.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

I needed to get 2 vaccines in a certain order spaced at a certain interval.  Your CI team will have that information for you.