Bilateral AudioStream with iPhone 8 running 14.7.1

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I borrowed AudioStream covers and disposable battery packs from a friend to see which sensitivity and volume settings block out most environmental sounds when wanting to stream only.  

Sensitivity set at zero percent by my audiologist in a special AudioStream program did not reduce environmental sounds enough for me.  I can still hear and understand speech from across the room while streaming.

But sensitivity at zero percent + using the remote to reduce volume to the quietest setting possible + increasing my iPhone volume (not all the way to max) does dampen environmental sounds enough that they are not bothersome.  It is not the same as T only with Artone or 100/0 mix with AudioLink but it does reduce environmental sounds a lot for me.  

I will have these AudioStream only programs tweaked to reduce volume so that when I wish to use AudioStream for streaming without being bothered by environmental sounds, I can just quickly move into these programs.  I will keep these AudioStream programs at zero percent sensitivity.

F21C110A-A8D7-4342-93EC-2A41017621F6.jpeg

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Configuration and pairing failed the first 4 times but then worked.  I was in the same location and followed the same steps all 5 times.  So far great connection.

• HearPeers Heroes

iPhone switches automatically between streamed audio and phone call.  I was listening to an audiobook and a call came in.  The audiobook paused.  I pressed to accept the call and held the phone to speak into it.  Streamed incoming audio through AudioStreams on both sides.  Call ended and audiobook resumed automatically.  Terrific

• HearPeers Heroes

In April when I borrowed AudioStream covers to test there was a loud thunk  sound when AudioStream connected.  This is much much much quieter now for some reason.  As these are the same AudioStreams and same Sonnets and same iPhone….. maybe the iOS updates helped resolve that loud thunk  sound??

• HearPeers Heroes

Range is terrific!  I set my phone on a table in the living room and walked away while listening to an audiobook.  Our home is not an open design.  Each room is separate.  I was able to walk into the dining room, kitchen, downstairs to the finished basement and the book streamed perfectly.  When I did eventually go too far away from my phone, the audiobook stopped. When I returned upstairs to the phone, the audiobook had paused when it lost connection.  Pressing play started it up again.

Great range. Very similar to the range I get from Artone at home.

Interesting stuff about tweaking sensitivity and volume for AudioStream. I borrowed a single AudioStream yesterday to test it out before I apply for a pair of them. Very promising so far. Excellent sound quality and no issues with connection to my Samsung Galaxy S10 phone. Just hoping that they will work in noisy environment like on a plane. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

I tried to run a test on listening with AudioStream in noise.  I listened with my everyday program which mixes at 50/50 first.  That was difficult.  I had to turn up the phone volume a lot to counterbalance and that would not be pleasant for long.

Then I switched to my AudioStream program with sensitivity at zero percent and volume as far down as the remote allows.  So so so much better.  Very doable.  Definitely having a dedicated AudioStream program will work best for me when a 50/50 mix is not wanted.

Great!

So would it be enough to turn both volume and sensitivity all the way down on an existing program using the remote, or will have to see the audiologist to create a special program with even less sensitivity (and volume) ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

I think that will vary by user.  For me, I wanted less environmental sounds than that provided and a faster way to get there.  So for me, a dedicated program by my audiologist works best.

See what happens when you move both sensitivity and volume all the way down and then counter that by increasing your phone volume.  (Some android phone users are using a free volume booster app to get more volume.  @Kylie has experience with that.).  Let us know what ends up working best for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Two connectivity issues so far…

1) when BT is temporarily turned off on my phone and then back on

2) while streaming an audiobook with phone set in same location both AudioStreams just disconnected simultaneously 

Both situations were quickly resolved by going into accessibility… hearing devices and then pulling down and pushing back up the AudioStream covers and setting the Sonnets close to the phone.

It will be nice when these disconnections become much less frequent.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cross post

So far all the disconnections have been quickly fixed by going into accessibility… hearing devices.  Then pull down and push back up each AudioStream and set the Sonnets very close to my phone.  In a moment they show up in black font instead of gray font.  Then I click on it and they connect.

After the initial configuration in AudioKey2 which sets them as a L and R pair, I have not returned to AudioKey2 at all.  The reconnecting (whether listed on my iPhone as not paired or listed on my iPhone as not connected) has been resolved by pulling down and pushing back up the AudioStream covers and setting the Sonnets near my phone.

The iPhone seems unable to reconnect automatically when this happens.  Clicking on the listed AudioStreams while in gray font brings me to a screen which shows the iPhone is trying to connect.  There is a spinning wheel.  But it does not connect.  Restarting the AudioStreams and setting the Sonnets very close to my phone is needed in order to reconnect.

• HearPeers Heroes

AudioStream with iPhone is a bit counterintuitive for me.

When other BT devices say NOT PAIRED, the fix is to resync them to the iPhone.  When the AudioStreams say NOT PAIRED, there is no need to configure and pair them again.  Pulling down and pushing up the AudioStream covers to restart the AudioStreams and setting them very close to the iPhone is working every time.  When the AudioStream device listed changes from gray to black font, selecting them gets them connected again.

When other BT devices say NOT CONNECTED, the fix is to select them and the iPhone connects.  When the AudioStreams say NOT CONNECTED, selecting them only brings me to a screen with a spinning wheel which shows the phone is trying to connect but it is never successful.  It just spins.  Pulling down and pushing up the AudioStream covers to restart the AudioStreams and setting them very close to the iPhone is working every time.  When the AudioStream device listed changes from gray to black font, selecting them gets them connected again.

So far all disconnections have been able to be fixed by restarting AudioStreams and setting close to the iPhone.  When the font changes from gray to black, select it and it connects.

It will be nice when these disconnections are less often.  But thankfully so far the fix is easy and quick, albeit inconvenient.

• HearPeers Heroes

Used my Subaru CarPlay with my iPhone today while the AudioStream covers were connected to my phone.  It worked great.  Car play audio still went through the car speaker system which is my preference.  This can possibly be changed in settings.  After I left the car and walked away a bit, AudioStream was connected automatically on my iPhone.  All smiles here!

• HearPeers Heroes

Learning about AudioStream everyday.

Yesterday it stayed connected ALL DAY.  I did not need to reboot the AudioStreams (except for first thing in the morning….and that may have been my mistake).   Great AudioStream day.

This morning my iPhone did not show it was connected to my hearing devices when I came downstairs.  A quick way to know if AudioStream is connected is to swipe up and look for the ear symbol in the volume setting.  I attached a pic of what that looks like.   But then I opened an app that has audio and immediately I heard the quiet thunk  sounds of AudioStream connecting!  Just like that!  So my hunch is the other morning when they connected, I may have already opened an app with audio before noticing the connection.  So yesterday I may have saved myself the reboot step if I had opened an app with audio.  We will see how this plays out.

46EE7D7F-3E01-4462-B500-3144F9221A8B.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

There are so many things I LOVE about AudioStream!  Thank you @MED-EL Moderator to the AudioStream team!

Favorite things about AudioStream include…

Great sound quality

True separate left and right audio for instrumentals 

Ease of use… just use them as everyday battery covers and direct streaming is always available 

Comfort… I was concerned that they may be uncomfortable because they are slightly longer but they are very comfortable 

Impact on disposable battery life is minimal (using Power One Implant batteries)

Hand off feature with Car Play works seamlessly 

Range is terrific!

Seamlessly switches from streamed audio to incoming phone call and then automatically resumes streamed audio again

Wish list for AudioStream….

The ability to easily change the mixing ratio with 100/0 streamed audio only one of the mixing options.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

When left and right AudioStreams are not in sync 

If the left and right AudioStreams are not exactly in sync, pausing the streamed audio for a moment (long enough so the AudioStreams release - a quiet sound indicates the release) and then pressing play again (quiet thunk sound indicates a new connection) gets the AudioStreams back in sync quickly.

• HearPeers Heroes

A full week of life with AudioStream and I really like it.  A few times it disconnected while streaming which was perplexing and inconvenient. Other than that, I just wish it would give us complete control of the mixing ratios with 100/0 streamed audio only an option.

Every time AudioStream didn’t connect/pair, rebooting AudioStream worked.  It took 1-2 minutes. All done in accessibility… hearing devices.  I never returned to the AudioKey2 app after initial configuration.

5E07B519-B6D0-4B54-AEB9-4E494B693DAA.jpeg

BE021EAD-56D5-405B-AB75-7206807AED39.jpeg

0B1E8D30-6D21-4934-8F6A-9E9AA553A2A8.jpeg

39DB0735-4ED0-4DAD-99FD-6715C66368FC.jpeg

Good morning everyone I just wanted to put this feedback and information out and see if anyone has any suggestions

audio stream has been working very well most of the time iPhone has always connected and done well never a problem the  iPad has been giving problems occasionally but not an issue. 
lately approximately five or six weeks ago I got a new iPad 12.9 inch fifth-generation the one with the M1 chip and have had some difficulty pairing the audio stream to the iPad I have a another 11 inch iPad Pro and it pairs and connects  nicely running the same software

The new 12.9 inch iPad Pro has now been refusing to pair completely there was a period of one week or so it repaired without difficulty. 

as I said I have an iPhone 11 Pro running the iOS 15 beta software and  audio stream has worked well near hundred percent of the time no problems

The new iPad 12.9 inch has become a problem not connecting or pairing

I have talked to Med El many times at length and after some troubleshooting they decided to exchange my audio streams so I have new covers for both sides

also I have  talked to senior technical support in Apple many hours many days troubleshooting changing settings downloading and deleting software with no resolution

lastly yesterday they determined that the iOS 15 beta software on the iPad was somehow in conflict with the audio stream and I had to restore the iPad on my computer and re-download iOS 14.7.1 but audio streams still not pairing

in the meantime we have also exchanged and replaced the iPad under warranty as of course these are new devices thinking it may be a hardware issue-no resolution 

I have an appointment with the Apple Genius Bar tomorrow but I don’t know what they can do differently have to wait and see

anyone have any advice for me ?Marybeth?

lately I have been reading your input regarding the experience with audio stream sounds very good I just feel somehow the audio stream has always worked near hundred percent with the phones but iPad has been an issue  

Thanks 

• HearPeers Heroes

@SKOM

Thank you for jumping in.

I wish I had a suggestion for you and your AudioStream + iPad Pro issue.  I only use AudioStream with my iPhone.

Keep is posted.  Hopefully a resolution is found soon.

Thank you Marybeth I spoke to Apple technical support again today because of some thing else that I thought of last night had a long discussion with them they have updated the ticket and sent all the information to their engineering department software iOS Bluetooth whatever and they say they hope to get a response within a week when I am supposed to get a reply from them so I doubt if the Apple Genius Bar can do anything different/more

other than perhaps changing the device again which I doubt will resolve  in issue   

shyam

• HearPeers Heroes

Reporting in on getting environmental sounds as quiet as possible while streaming with AudioStream 

Sensitivity set to 0% by my audiologist is a helpful first step

MAP volume set to 70-100% by my audiologist with the MAP defaulting to 100% (MAX) lets me bring down the volume on my Sonnets a lot and then bring up the volume on my iPhone.  I am at max volume on the iPhone and not quite min volume on the Sonnets.  To go any quieter on the Sonnets I will need to use a volume booster on the iPhone.

I may try that to get the environmental sounds reduced even more.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Alberto

scroll to the beginning of this topic.  This is where I shared my AudioStream tips.