August 2021 AudioStream reports

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Checking into see how everyday life is going with your AudioStreams now.

I borrowed a set from a friend again and have been testing them out with my iPhone running the latest iOS.

So far I experience connectivity issues only if BT has been temporarily turned off on my phone.  When it is turned back on sometimes both, sometimes one and sometimes neither AudioStream reconnects.  Then I need to remove the AudioStream covers and push them back on.  In accessibility… hearing devices… I can see if they pair again.  Then clicking on them once both show up gets them connected again.  I believe the iPhone should reconnect automatically but that just spins and spins.  Thankfully I have been able to resolve this very quickly each time.  But it does make me not want to turn off BT temporarily on my phone.

I am interested in your AudioStream experiences.  How are things going now?

@Roy K.

@karenRS

@Jullannie

@Jared Charney

@KittKatz

@Dennisjbr

@Dani

@SKOM

@Viola DeVinney

@Joe

@Lynda

@Ralph34

and any other AudioStream users I accidentally forgot to tag

@Mary Bethgood morning, for the most part it "works" but I have to say if it were any normal consumer product I would have returned long ago. I would say at least 2 X per week I have to spend a good amount of time to get it back up and running which drives me a little nutty. That said I really like for example when I'm going for a run to stream NPR or music. Overall I have to say I'm happy but some days it can be really tricky to get it to work 

• Like 2

I haven’t seen any improvement (iPhone 11Pro/iOS 14.7.1). I leave my iPhone BT on all the time. Often initially falls to stream at all or to only one side (random). Have to remove and replace Audiostream covers to fix - sometimes several times.  When I use for phone calls, typically a delayed connection that makes the beginning of the conversation awkward. I’ve unpaired/re-paired without improvement. Disappointed in Med-El. Interested what others are experiencing. 

• Sad 2

In general AudioStream works fine, but when it stops it often takes about an hour to get connected again. I try and try using the AudioKey app and then suddenly it connects. I have not figured out why it connects after about 12 attempts including : Forget, Reset, Restarting the App and shutting off every Bluetooth device in the house.

One strange thing is: both my iPad and iPhone can adjust the volume, sensitivity etc as long as both windows are not open at the same time even though the iPhone shows “not connected “. 
I am pleased with the streaming. My only problem is iPhone does not stream on phone calls. I must use the speaker.(my phone is old, maybe that is it.)

Cheers everyone

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

Are you using AudioStream with disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries in your Sonnet/Sonnet2?

1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Roy K.

Are you using AudioStream with disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries in your Sonnet/Sonnet2?

Rechargeable. 

15 minutes ago, Jared Charney said:

@Mary Bethgood morning, for the most part it "works" but I have to say if it were any normal consumer product I would have returned long ago. I would say at least 2 X per week I have to spend a good amount of time to get it back up and running which drives me a little nutty. That said I really like for example when I'm going for a run to stream NPR or music. Overall I have to say I'm happy but some days it can be really tricky to get it to work 

Agree re “… I would have returned long ago.”

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ralph34

My iPhone is old (iPhone 8. ). And AudioStream works fine on phone calls.  Next phone call make sure you select hearing devices for the audio.  Maybe your phone has hearing devices listed as an option for the call but not selected.  Just a thought.

When the AudioStream is not paired to my iPhone I do not return to the AudioKey2 app.  I stay in accessibility… hearing devices. And I pull down and then push back up the AudioStream covers and set them very close to my phone.  If they do not pair again, I repeat that.  So far the longest it has taken me to get the AudioStream to pair and connect again has been 2-3 minutes.  It would be helpful if this never happened and hopefully it will get sorted out soon.  Maybe this method will work for you too?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

I use Power One Implant disposable batteries.

I wonder if that is making a difference?

Still no luck. My CI audiologist even tried, but can’t get it to connect. 😢

I’ve got the latest iPhone version too. I still often have to open and close the audiostream covers and sometimes one starts before the other. There is often a slight delay anyway. What I find is that if I dial a number once, if I dial the same number or another number straight away it connects much quicker and both connect at the same time. On the whole, it probably works a bit better than the previous version 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Viola DeVinney

That is disappointing.  Maybe if you follow this link and schedule a zoom one on one with captions with your regional Med-El rep, she can help you get your AudioStream to work.

https://web.cvent.com/event/bf4df0f5-e7e8-4282-9a9f-a09de31f4fc2/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

5 hours ago, Ralph34 said:

One strange thing is: both my iPad and iPhone

So you are using audiostrrans with both iPad and iPhone? How do you switch between the two? You are the first I’ve heard doing this. This could be one of the problems. 

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

I use Power One Implant disposable batteries.

I’m using rechargeable with success but at time like @Mary Beth I need to restart them by reinserting battery covered. 

@Dennisjbrwhen I first got my AudioStream I had no problems using with both my iPhone 11 and my iPad but then it started acting up and now I'm just using my iPhone. I am going to try again to tempt fate and use w/the iPad as well. @Viola DeVinneywhat phone are you using?  I switched in my settings for phone calls for it to go the iPhone first and not my CI and it works a lot better that way. Not sure why. 

1 hour ago, Dennisjbr said:

So you are using audiostrrans with both iPad and iPhone? How do you switch between the two? You are the first I’ve heard doing this. This could be one of the problems. 

Dennisjbr

The streaming works fine on both devices, but not a the same time. I just shut off Bluetooth on the iPad and sometimes have to connect using Connection on AudioKey on the iPhone. It streams but does not show it as an option on phone calls so I use the phone speaker for phone calls.

6 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Ralph34

My iPhone is old (iPhone 8. ). And AudioStream works fine on phone calls.  Next phone call make sure you select hearing devices for the audio.  Maybe your phone has hearing devices listed as an option for the call but not selected.  Just a thought.

When the AudioStream is not paired to my iPhone I do not return to the AudioKey2 app.  I stay in accessibility… hearing devices. And I pull down and then push back up the AudioStream covers and set them very close to my phone.  If they do not pair again, I repeat that.  So far the longest it has taken me to get the AudioStream to pair and connect again has been 2-3 minutes.  It would be helpful if this never happened and hopefully it will get sorted out soon.  Maybe this method will work for you too?

My phone is older than that. It runs 12.5.4 . I do not see any options for sound on phone calls only “speaker”. When I had hearing aids they showed up but nothing now.

Often the pairing is as you say, 1 or 2 minutes but sometimes it just will not connect. I try everything. And then it works. For the Life of me I don’t know why it decides to work.

I have been sharing this experience with an engineer at Med-el. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ralph34

I am glad you are sharing your experiences with an engineer at Med-El .  Real life experiences with AudioStream are very important to finding fixes.

I believe you about sometimes it just will not connect.  Others are reporting that as well.  So far I haven’t experienced that yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

For those who are using AudioStream with iPhones, how many times a day do you need to pull down and push back up the AudioStream covers to stay connected?

10 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

how many times a day do you need to pull down and push back up the AudioStream covers to stay connected?

For me, it really depends. and also if i walked away from my phone for a while not being in range.  Then that really makes things go wonky. But i have seen successful spontaneous reconnections when the phone rings! Adn all of the sudden i'm hearing things in my head!  It's freaky sometimes!  :D 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

So far all the disconnections have been quickly fixed by going into accessibility… hearing devices.  Then pull down and push back up each AudioStream and set the Sonnets very close to my phone.  In a moment they show up in black font instead of gray font.  Then I click on it and they connect.

After the initial configuration in AudioKey2 which sets them as a L and R pair, I have not returned to AudioKey2 at all.  The reconnecting (whether listed on my iPhone as not paired or listed on my iPhone as not connected) has been resolved by pulling down and pushing back up the AudioStream covers and setting the Sonnets near my phone.

The iPhone seems unable to reconnect automatically when this happens.  Clicking on the listed AudioStreams while in gray font brings me to a screen which shows the iPhone is trying to connect.  There is a spinning wheel.  But it does not connect.  Restarting the AudioStreams and setting the Sonnets very close to my phone is needed in order to reconnect.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cross post

AudioStream with iPhone is a bit counterintuitive for me.

When other BT devices say NOT PAIRED, the fix is to resync them to the iPhone.  When the AudioStreams say NOT PAIRED, there is no need to configure and pair them again.  Pulling down and pushing up the AudioStream covers to restart the AudioStreams and setting them very close to the iPhone is working every time.  When the AudioStream device listed changes from gray to black font, selecting them gets them connected again.

When other BT devices say NOT CONNECTED, the fix is to select them and the iPhone connects.  When the AudioStreams say NOT CONNECTED, selecting them only brings me to a screen with a spinning wheel which shows the phone is trying to connect but it is never successful.  It just spins.  Pulling down and pushing up the AudioStream covers to restart the AudioStreams and setting them very close to the iPhone is working every time.  When the AudioStream device listed changes from gray to black font, selecting them gets them connected again.

So far all disconnections have been able to be fixed by restarting AudioStreams and setting close to the iPhone.  When the font changes from gray to black, select it and it connects.

It will be nice when these disconnections are less often.  But thankfully so far the fix is easy and quick, albeit inconvenient.