Sandy

WOW Moments

Noticed yesterday that the license plate on my car starts with ALD. Sure my car serves me as an assistive listening devise. At the beginning of my journey i used it a lot for speech  and music understanding in noise. Thanks that my car is not very noisy. Exploring new placed with GPS help and phone conversatons were like a graduate tests. A voice command feature helped me to improve both listening skills and my pronunciation to be understood by my car without repeating ?

I haven't been on the forum for awhile due to travelling and a couple of medical issues I needed to deal with.  My Rondo had to be replaced (thank goodness for the warranty).  I would replace the battery and it would work for a couple of seconds and then the low battery indicator would sound and also it would just cut out and no sound.  The new one is so good I had to share this moment with you.  Your laugh of the day, is what it is.  I got in my car, started it and heard this funny sound and thought something was wrong with the engine.  I turned the car off and, lo and behold it was the rain pounding on the roof of the car.  Thought for the day:  If you thought you'd heard everything, you haven't.  Enjoy the hearing world!  It's awesome?

Welcome back.  We missed you!

Thanks, Mary Beth.

Glad your back Sandy! 

Thanks Kara.

Hello, Sandy - one more in a bucket for re-welcoming you back...:)

Sandy, I want to read your posts more often. Please, don't disappear for so long :)

My wow moment for this week - a beeps from an electronic thermometer. By the time such thermometers were introduced on the marked (many-many years ago), I was unable to hear it.

After my implantation nobody wast sick in our family so I had no any chance to try it. But yesterday... WOooooooooooowwww! I can hear it! Even from another corner of the room!

@Cara Mia, I don't know whether to celebrate your WOW moment or feel bad because someone is sick in your home!  Smile.

way to go!

Only celebrate, everything else is nothing serious - somebody just tried to find a reason not to go to school :) 

Thanks Ivana.  We will celebrate Cara Mia.  

On 3/1/2016 at 1:38 AM, Kara of Canada said:

Here's a new one! My hearing on my implanted ear has increased since my last hearing test! I could hear more today than the last time at one month!! (This is without the processor)

I didn't understand. Do you hear without a processor ? :o

On 22/10/2017 at 0:29 PM, stream2525 said:

I didn't understand. Do you hear without a processor ? :o

No Stream - there is no wonder healing.

The WOW moments which we describe happen as the consequence of the natural evolution of the neuroplasticity of our brains after it is properly stimulated. 

Problem with hearing aids is that they stimulate dying hearing cells - with time the total amount of these cells are less and less. This means that neural hearing pathways are not stimulated as they should be - the final result is worsening of hearing abilities: brain fells into a sleep like sleeping beauty... Or less romantic - try to immobilize your arm/hand or leg for a week and see what will happen with your muscles and consequently with strength and the ability to move it properly. It will vanish little by little... 

But - the best part is that as well as muscles, your brain remembers all these stimuli and the ability to understand sounds. With time and practice, the ability of our brains to improves itself is enormous so people start to discern subtle differences which they didn't even dream that they would ever be able to do. 

So here comes the uninformed moto of our forum: 3P's - Practice, Patience, and Perseverance. Like muscle gets its strength to move or lift more weight, so brain evolves its abilities to understand, differ and improve each day more and more... 

Neuroplasticity to the rescue!