Streaming to both Rondo 3 and hearing aid

artkup

I was previously SSD with an original Rondo my right ear, and no device in my left.  I have since lost hearing in my previously good (left) ear and am in the process of both updating to a Rondo 3 for my right ear and getting a hearing aid in the left ear.  Since all is happening at once, I am looking for the best combination of streaming devices and hearing aids for the best experience.

My first question is should I be asking for the AudioLink Kit or the Artone 3 Max Neckloop with my Rondo 3?

The next question is what hearing aids are compatible with the streaming method I end up with so that I can conceivably stream to both sides simultaneously?  Ideally, this would be with some mic, on the phone, from the tv, and possibly from my computer.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

The AudioLink will ONLY stream to Med-El CI processors, so it will not work with any hearing aid.

The Artone BT neckloop streams from BT devices and then sends the audio to CI processors and hearing aids through their telecoils.  The Rondo 3 has a telecoil adapter that plugs onto the Rondo 3.  When it is attached, the sound from the Artone will be heard.  When it is not attached, the sound will not be heard.  Any hearing aid that has an active telecoil will pick up the sound from the Artone as well. The hearing aid may have both a MT and T only option.

The Artone can be purchased online from vendors like Amazon for about $135.

The AudioLink can only be purchased from Med-El and is quite expensive.  If you wish to try the AudioLink, you can select it in your kit.  And you can purchase the Artone independently.  If you are only interested in streaming to both your HA and Rondo 3, Artone is a great option.

Does the MedEl supplied AudioLink connectivity option offer and advantages over the Artone 3 MAXLOOP?  

• HearPeers Heroes

They are different types of devices each with their own pros and cons.

AudioLink works as a remote mic.  Artone has an optional remote mic that can be purchased separately.

AudioLink can be cabled to a TV.  Artone has an optional TVB streaming accessory.

AudioLink is only true BT from phone for phone calls and uses a converter app in the background for all other audio.  Artone connects via true BT for everything.

AudioLink has a range of mixing options.  Artone has 50/50 or 100/0.

AudioLink is sensitive to line of sight.  Artone has a large range and is not sensitive to line of sight.

Probably the most significant consideration for you may be that AudioLink only streams to Med-El CIs- not to hearing aids.  Artone can be used with any CI or HA that has a telecoil.

I have both.  I use my Artone almost every day.

so it sounds like as you suggest, I should get the AudioLink kit with my Rondo for free, and buy the Artone MAX 3 neckloop from another vendor.

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

If you are interested in having them both, selecting the AudioLink in the kit and purchasing the Artone through Amazon will save you a lot of money.

If you are only interested in bimodal streaming, there is no need for the AudioLink.

I honestly don't know.  I haven't been upgraded yet nor chosen a HA, but will figure it out in time.  Thank you so much for your thoughts!!  😃

Mary Beth - correct me if I'm wrong -- even before I receive my upgrade to a Rondo 3, I should be able to use the ArtOne MaxLoop with my current old fashioned Rondo since the Rondo has telecoil built in, correct?  I just need to set my remote control to "T". And then when I get my HA with telecoil, I can use the neckloop with my old Rondo + the HA, correct?  The reason I'm asking, is cause I was advised by my customer service rep at MedEl that my upgrade may take a couple of months and I'm eager to start hearing better NOW!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

Yes I use my Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop with my Rondo 1.  We can choose MT setting to mix streamed and Rondo mics at 50/50 or T setting to hear streamed audio only.

I suggest you purchase the Artone on a way that allows you to return it if you do not care for it.  Tech preferences vary widely.

I have been using Artone BT neckloops almost daily since 2016.

So I suppose my next question is: when I choose my HAs in a few weeks, should I be looking for telecoil only, Bluetooth, or both methods of connectivity?

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

All things being equal as far as the benefit you receive from the various hearing aids you are considering…..

iPhone does not presently have a way to stream simultaneously to 2 different types of hearing devices.  Some android phones do with some HA models.  BUT Rondo 3 does not have a way to BT stream directly.  (Sonnet2 does with the AudioStream cover.). So direct BT streaming in a HA is not going to give you streaming to your Rondo 3.

Telecoil will give you bimodal access with the Artone.

Wish we had a crystal ball to predict future access for our Med-El processors.  No way to know what is coming down the line.  So if the price is similar having both telecoil and BT in the HA may give you more options down the road.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 1:18 PM, Mary Beth said:

They are different types of devices each with their own pros and cons.

AudioLink works as a remote mic.  Artone has an optional remote mic that can be purchased separately.

AudioLink can be cabled to a TV.  Artone has an optional TVB streaming accessory.

AudioLink is only true BT from phone for phone calls and uses a converter app in the background for all other audio.  Artone connects via true BT for everything.

AudioLink has a range of mixing options.  Artone has 50/50 or 100/0.

AudioLink is sensitive to line of sight.  Artone has a large range and is not sensitive to line of sight.

Probably the most significant consideration for you may be that AudioLink only streams to Med-El CIs- not to hearing aids.  Artone can be used with any CI or HA that has a telecoil.

I have both.  I use my Artone almost every day.

@Mary Beth do you have an Artone microphone, and if so, do you find it useful? 

@Mary Beth

I realize they're used differently, but how would you compare the Roger neckloop + Roger pen to the Artone neckloop + artone mic?

Hi art, you already know my situation is similar to yours, i chose the more expensive item in my kit so i have audio link. I use it all the time. And now using arstream more. Ive not gotten an ha yet but will soon. My samsung 9 phone has hearing aid set up so i may not need the loop. I absolutely will at 130 bucks if i need it, but with audio link and stream working well for me i may not need it. I may get one in the future just to have if i need to hook up at a museum or movie theater, but so far i feel like i have everything i need for "battle" lol.

I m not sure but i think john and mary beth posted a bunch of comparisons in another thread if ghey have not answered yet.

The bestest aids i ever had were in the ear, msde by siemens. I think siemens was acquired by another compny im going to research little more.

Just now, Dianna said:

Hi art, you already know my situation is similar to yours, i chose the more expensive item in my kit so i have audio link. I use it all the time. And now using arstream more. Ive not gotten an ha yet but will soon. My samsung 9 phone has hearing aid set up so i may not need the loop. I absolutely will at 130 bucks if i need it, but with audio link and stream working well for me i may not need it. I may get one in the future just to have if i need to hook up at a museum or movie theater, but so far i feel like i have everything i need for "battle" lol.

I m not sure but i think john and mary beth posted a bunch of comparisons in another thread if ghey have not answered yet.

The bestest aids i ever had were in the ear, msde by siemens. I think siemens was acquired by another compny im going to research little more.

Sorry, audio stream AND audio link not always together, but they worked together last night

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

I know you are trying to choose the best tech being bimodal now.  I have told you everything I can about Roger and Artone here and in our private chat.  I wish you could test Roger out somewhere.

I do not care for the Roger Pen.  I prefer the Roger Select because it has much more advanced mic features.  I look forward to testing out the new Roger On when I get the chance.  Others may like the Pen.

The tech must match the listening situations we plan on using it in.  The best piece of tech may be different for different listening situations.  And we each have personal preferences.

Hopefully @John R hosts his connectivity show & tell chat soon.  Maybe that will help you choose.

@Mary Beth - sorry I've been asking so many variations of the same question. Based on your recommendations, I purchased the Artone Maxloop, TVB, and now the microphone on Amazon so I can trial them for a month. So far I love what I have. You're right, I do need to try out the Roger, but so far have no means to do so. Fortunately the Amazon purchased Artone devices are returnable if I find something better. Unfortunately the Rogers are not returnable. And they're all so expensive. So I am trying to do my due diligence. I will try not to lean so hard on you going forward, but very much appreciate your wisdom on these matters. Thanks again. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

no problem at all with asking questions.  We are all here to help each other.

Unfortunately I have no other info or links to give you.  I have shared everything I know already.

Maybe somewhere in NYC is a center that has Roger technology you can test out.

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Hopefully @John R hosts his connectivity show & tell chat soon.  Maybe that will help you choose.

Oh the Pressure 🤣 

• Haha 2

@Mary Beth

New Question -

Do you know if there is a way to connect a standard landline phone to the Artone Maxloop (which can then be picked up by the Rondo 1 telecoil)?

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

If your landline phone has a headphone jack, the Artone TVB or Artone Mic can be plugged in.  You will have to test how your voice is picked up if you do that.  You may need to still speak into the handset.

6 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@artkup

If your landline phone has a headphone jack, the Artone TVB or Artone Mic can be plugged in.  You will have to test how your voice is picked up if you do that.  You may need to still speak into the handset.

Good idea! Thank you!