Incredible Journey

Darlene Mac

Hi all,  I've had my CI since July 2012, and it has changed my life!  I was born with normal hearing, but lost 70% of the hearing in my left ear due to childhood mumps.  I started wearing one hearing aid in the left at the age of 15, and it was a great improvement.  My hearing continued to decline in adulthood, and I started wearing 2 BTE aids in my early 30's.  They were the 'new' digital aids, and at the time, they made a huge difference.  By age 48, even hearing aids couldn't really help my left ear, and my audiologist suggested a cochlear implant.  The whole process took about a year, with many appointments and assessments, but finally in July I had my surgery.  I was scared and excited at the same time.  Activation day, in August, was unbelievable!  Even though speech was muffled, my hearing felt balanced for the first time in years. I worked very hard with rehab, listening to everything and doing practice exercises for hours, relying on my cochlear implant, not my hearing aid.  It was an incredible experience...remembering and recognizing bird song, the sound of the ocean, music, and most important, conversation.  I simply cannot explain the positive impact my CI has had on my life and my family's life.  My Cochlear Implant is my miracle! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Darlene Mac

Welcome to HearPeers!  These CIs are life changing!

Which processor are you using?

@Kylie

Thanks, Kylie. I'm new at this, and not very tech savvy, but I'm enjoying bumbling around the site. 🙂  I've been reading WOW moments.  These stories are so touching and emotional.  

@Mary Beth

Going from the Opus to the Sonnet 2 was a pretty easy transition.  I usually don't like change, so at first I missed my Opus, just because that's what I was used to.  I still do think the Opus had a better battery life, and was easier with regard to changing batteries.  I liked that the Opus rechargeable battery was just basically a rectangular battery that went into a rectangular space.  You couldn't do it wrong because the battery would only fit in one way.  There were fewer little hooks to break. I know that the Sonnet2 is doing a whole lot more processing, thus uses more battery, so the battery lasts 10 hours instead of 12, which I loved in the Opus.  I did have to take my Sonnet 2 back to my clinic to have the case cover replaced, and I was told that others had to do the same thing.  But, the main thing for me is that I can hear as well with the Sonnet 2 as I did with the Opus...so I'm a happy camper! 

• Like 2

Hi darlene, i too have a sonnet 2 and while i use just the sonnet less than audio stream or audio link, i love the versatility and ease of use now that its been a month. However, i have not been really active with it yet. Its been in wind, rain, long walks, etc. I have only removed it while asleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dianna,  The more you listen, the better it gets!  Best of luck on your journey!