Sonnet 2 versus Rondo 3

Sharon Penney

Hi I am from Burlington Ontario and have been newly implanted with a Cochlear implant. I have to choose between the Sonnet2 and the Rondo 3 and am curious to hear from others who have had similar choices and whether you are happy with your selection. Also if you opted for the Sonnet2 did you choose the rechargeable batteries or disposable batteries. So many decisions to make and so little time.....

Hi sharon. I have a sonnet 2 eas and i have both rechargable batteries and disposable. I received them with my kit. I also have audiolink which i use for streaming and tv. I also have audiostream. Im still learning how to use it all, im very happy with sonnet 2 eas but i have some residual hearing so the eas setup gives me electronic and acoustic. Ive used it a little over one month and very happy with it. I do not have rondo 3 others here can share im sure.

• HearPeers Heroes

I prefer disposable batteries with my Sonnets.  If you plan on streaming with the AudioStream battery cover, disposable batteries are recommended by Med-El .  I use Power One Implant batteries.  They work great.

Sharon,  

I've been using both a Sonnet 2 and the Rondo 3 for nearly 2 years now. I really like both but I'd suggest if you have to pick one go with the Sonnet 2. 

The Sonnet 2 I believe provides more options and functionality with regard to the algorithms that you can cycle through to try enhance the capability based on the level of ambient noise etc. Another thing I do like about the Sonnet 2 is that since it does hook on your ear there is a bit more safety should you bump the coil off of your head. I've accidently sent my Rondo flying a couple times and was glad it did not land in the grass. If you brush the Sonnet 2 coil off of your head it is still hooked to your ear.

Regarding batteries I find the disposable to be more reliable and I believe they are probably more cost effective.  The rechargeable are quite expensive to replace, my catalog says a standard rechargeable is $175 to replace. I typically use 2 rechargeable batteries per day so i have 3 total since there are good for about 8 hours. If I had to pick, i'd go with the disposable.

One warning I have that I learned the hard way.  Do not put any pressure on the microphone cover ever.  Your index finger will want to push against the microphone cover as you push the battery cover closed. After a few months of me doing this I apparently caused a small plastic component to break down and the microphone cover would not latch properly. Medel was terrific at quickly replacing my device under warranty but you can avoid this if you don't put any pressure on the microphone cover ever. 

Congratulations and good luck, I absolutely love my cochlear implant.

Thank you so much for your input. This helps a lot with coming to a decision. I had been leaning towards the Sonnet 2 and the disposable batteries. 

I’m bilateral I have the Sonnets processor I use disposable batteries . I do have a Rondo2 but prefer Sonnets one thing to remember about Rondo3 is that if you go somewhere where it’s wired with hearing loop (T Coil) you have to put an adaptor on your Rondo3 this comes with your kit this feature is built in your Sonnets 

I have a rondo 3 and am happy with it . Very easy to recharge every evening.

I have an audio link and it connects to TV . After having hearing aid for years it is nice to not have something on your ear .

I am a golfer and have problems wearing a visor and hat for it interferes with the  processor.

but I am very happy with the hearing it gives me !

@Alie Ryken I have Rondo2 I had same problem with hats and Rondo slipping what strength of magnet do you have?

I had  3 I tried a 4 and that worked real well and then I tried a 5 that was even better.

You have to go thru your audiologists for this also be sure to order the magnet changing tool these are all a no charge item.

Good Luck