Bimodal Music streaming

Most of the suggestions for bimodal streaming make use of a tcoil-equipped neckloop.  But this setup may not be ideal for listening to music.  Curious what people have done to stream music to both ears simultaneously.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Let’s tag @John R for this question as he is bimodal and has extensive knowledge of audio and streaming options.

Hi @artkup 

I believe I answered this for you on FB.

in some cases the neck loop is required so that your HA and CI can pair to the same streamer.

however there are combinations that do stream perfectly without it.

in my case Phonak HA and Sonnet 2 using any Roger’s streamer such as the select or pen works perfectly.

I steam my computer for working as well as music etc.

no extra device required in between.

your Sonnet will require the Phonak battery cover.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Are you able to get true separate left and right stereo with any of the tech options you have sending different instrumentals to the hearing aid vs the CI processor or is it all blended mono when streaming to your HA and Sonnet2?

1 hour ago, John R said:

Hi @artkup 

I believe I answered this for you on FB.

in some cases the neck loop is required so that your HA and CI can pair to the same streamer.

however there are combinations that do stream perfectly without it.

in my case Phonak HA and Sonnet 2 using any Roger’s streamer such as the select or pen works perfectly.

I steam my computer for working as well as music etc.

no extra device required in between.

your Sonnet will require the Phonak battery cover.

I'm in the process of upgrading from the Rondo 1 to the Rondo 3, and my Phonak comes from Costco, is branded as Kirkland Signature 10, and is the same as Phonak's P90-RT. I'm trying to get a configuration that work's with this CI/HA pairing. The Roger Configurator page doesn't list the Rondo 3, so I'm trying to see what components I need. I'm also trying not to spend a king's ransom on different configurations for different applications. So I'm really trying to think this through.

As far as I can tell, there are several sets of circumstances I'm trying to anticipate:

(1) streaming conversations from phone;
(2) streaming from tv;
(3) conversations in noisy environments;
(4) listening to streamed music.

32 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

true separate

Yes 

Especially with the Rogers Select.

both are true stereo, the select now actually has a Dolby Digital stereo approved and branded.

to check any streamer for stereo there are some very distinct audio tracks you can use.

The HA is still in the trial period and can be changed. I also like the Rondo as a 1 piece unit and really prefer not to add another component to the Rondo so something like the Roger X has something to plug into. Someone on Facebook mentioned that their AuD told them that MedEl was working on a processor that's more compatible with some HA. If that's the case, I can use Mary Beth's Artone Maxloop 3 solution and hold off on my upgrade for the interim if something by MedEl is just around the bend.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

I only have one Roger X (02) receiver and do not have Roger 21 integrated battery covers.  So the only way I can use my Roger Select at the moment is to use the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  Therefore stuck with blended mono due to the telecoil transmission being identical on both sides.

Rondo, Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 all have the same 2 options for Roger receivers.

1) use the neckloop Roger receivers (Roger neckloop or Roger MyLink) with processors on MT (mix) or T (streamed audio only).  Remember that Rondo 3 does not have a built in telecoil and must use the telecoil adapter which mixes at 60/60.  Other settings can be configured by our audiologists.

2) use the mini battery pack with a Roger X (02) receiver plugged into it which then is cabled to the Roger/Roger2/Roger3.  This is cumbersome but does allow separate Roger receivers for each side.

On another random note then…

@Mary Beth have you ever yet to use a telecoil that sounds remotely decent / human.

that being said I’m horrified because back in my pro days I installed them. 🤣

This made me so aware that the installers of most telecoil systems can’t actually hear the real results.

Have you had a good telecoil experience?

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

I have had great telecoil experiences and terrible telecoil experiences.  About 50-50.

I do not use telecoil in looped theaters because I prefer to enjoy the music through the acoustics of the actual theater.

For me, telecoil is an option for speech- not music.

The Artone BT neckloop has been a great device for me for the past 5 years.  Audiobooks, podcasts, if I want hands free phone calls…. Very easy, convenient, tiny, reliable.  I listen to audiobooks with it almost every day.  I like that I can pause it etc without needing my phone and I wear it under my shirt.

Music is best for me with a BT speaker, BOSE QC35 around the ear headphones or the AudioStream with Sonnets.  I do not listen to music through telecoil.

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

Music is best for me with a BT speaker, BOSE QC35 around the ear headphones or the AudioStream with Sonnets.  I do not listen to music through telecoil.

I would totally agree, for Music we have to get back to as natural a listening position and delivery system as possible.
We can discuss Headphone brands another day 😊

Whew! That was technical! Guys, im in the middle of deciding which ha i should get to go along with my sonnet 2 eas. John r can you elaborate on the phonak " cover" and artkup how do you like your phonak kirkwood ha? 

I am taking my time, but i want to exercise my non implanted ear at the same time as progressing with the ci

16 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@John R

I only have one Roger X (02) receiver and do not have Roger 21 integrated battery covers.  So the only way I can use my Roger Select at the moment is to use the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  Therefore stuck with blended mono due to the telecoil transmission being identical on both sides.

Rondo, Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 all have the same 2 options for Roger receivers.

1) use the neckloop Roger receivers (Roger neckloop or Roger MyLink) with processors on MT (mix) or T (streamed audio only).  Remember that Rondo 3 does not have a built in telecoil and must use the telecoil adapter which mixes at 60/60.  Other settings can be configured by our audiologists.

2) use the mini battery pack with a Roger X (02) receiver plugged into it which then is cabled to the Roger/Roger2/Roger3.  This is cumbersome but does allow separate Roger receivers for each side.

Is there any difference between the quality of the Roger neckloop and the Artone neck loop? I realize that their inputs are quite different. Just wondering what the quality of the sound hitting the CI or HA is.

16 hours ago, John R said:

Yes 

both are true stereo, the select now actually has a Dolby Digital stereo approved and branded.

to check any streamer for stereo there are some very distinct audio tracks you can use.

Does one need a new Rogers Select to achieve Dolby Digital or is it available on an older model with a software/firmware update?

1 hour ago, Dianna said:

Whew! That was technical! Guys, im in the middle of deciding which ha i should get to go along with my sonnet 2 eas. John r can you elaborate on the phonak " cover" and artkup how do you like your phonak kirkwood ha? 

I am taking my time, but i want to exercise my non implanted ear at the same time as progressing with the ci

Ive only had the Kirkland HA for about a week now, and it's my first HA so there is quite a bit to get adjusted to. Ask me again in about a month, Dianna.

14 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@John R

When you use these headphones, are you wearing your Rondo or your Sonnet? Have you found headphones that can simultaneously fit over an off-ear Rondo on one side, and a HA on the other?

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

Headphones work with Sonnets and hearing aids (as long as the HA does not produce feedback).

Cozyphones flat stereo speakers in a headband work with Rondos and hearing aids.  They are wired unless you use a BT adapter.

21 hours ago, John R said:

@artkup

@John R John Ross do you know if the Phonak Paradise Audeo P90-RT, sold by Costco as the Kirkland Signature 10, can be made to work with the Roger system? My Costco AuD suggested that the HA needed some drivers to be added to the HA, but was a bit sketchy about this, and suggested I go to a private AuD to look into this. 

On 10/22/2021 at 6:52 PM, John R said:

Yes 

This makes it sound like stereo wasn't available prior to the new Roger On -

Screenshot_20211024-112954.png

2 hours ago, artkup said:

This makes it sound like stereo wasn't available prior to the new Roger On

hi @artkup that reads From a Roger “microphone” and probably not.

but the questions I was answering were mostly related to streaming.

there is no microphone involved in that instance, unless you are in mixed source and processor mode. Which doesn’t change the stereo factor from the “streaming device”.

that article simply says the Roger On is the first stereo microphone.

that does not relate to streaming audio from a computer or phone etc.

42 minutes ago, John R said:

hi @artkup that reads From a Roger “microphone” and probably not.

but the questions I was answering were mostly related to streaming.

there is no microphone involved in that instance, unless you are in mixed source and processor mode. Which doesn’t change the stereo factor from the “streaming device”.

that article simply says the Roger On is the first stereo microphone.

that does not relate to streaming audio from a computer or phone etc.

Ok John. Sorry for my confusion as this is all new to me. I wasn't aware of the distinction in the various "modes" you're describing.

17 minutes ago, John R said:

@artkup

how about we plan that specific Q&A time @Mary Beth has previously mentioned.

I am on (AEST) time (Brisbane Australia)

what works best for most?

Sounds good to me. My time is fairly flexible.