Bimodal Music streaming

artkup

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

I think a HearPeers Show & Tell: connectivity Q&A hosted by you is a terrific idea.  I suggest you start a new topic so more members see it.

HearPeers Show & Tell: Connectivity Q&A hosted by John R

Give a brief description.

State the date & time (including time zone).

Ask interested members to reply.

Collect email addresses privately for all interested members.

GoogleMeet.

I will happily join in.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:01 AM, Mary Beth said:

I suggest you start a new topic so more members see it.

HearPeers Show & Tell: Connectivity Q&A hosted by John R

Under what Category do you suggest ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Since it will be on connectivity…I suggest the assistive tech category

9 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

assistive tech category

ALDS and Other Technologies is all I see. 

On 10/22/2021 at 7:13 PM, Mary Beth said:

@John R

2) use the mini battery pack with a Roger X (02) receiver plugged into it which then is cabled to the Roger/Roger2/Roger3.  This is cumbersome but does allow separate Roger receivers for each side.

I'm not sure this is accurate. I don't believe you need to cable the Roger microphone. The Roger can be connected to the Rondo-battery pack-Roger X  via Roger FM rather than cable.

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

I was referring to how the Rondo, Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 connect to the mini battery pack.  They use a Med-El mini battery pack cable.  So the Rondo/Rondo2/Rondo3 is attached to the mini battery pack by a thin cable.  The Roger X(02) receiver is plugged into the Euro jack on the mini battery pack.

The Roger transmitter (Roger Select, Roger Pen etc) is not attached by cable.

20 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@artkup

I was referring to how the Rondo, Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 connect to the mini battery pack.  They use a Med-El mini battery pack cable.  So the Rondo/Rondo2/Rondo3 is attached to the mini battery pack by a thin cable.  The Roger X(02) receiver is plugged into the Euro jack on the mini battery pack.

The Roger transmitter (Roger Select, Roger Pen etc) is not attached by cable.

Ok, my bad. I just got excited cause I rummaged through my original Rondo package, and I was shocked to learn I have all the MedEl parts needed to make this (clumsy) setup happen. Now all I need are the Roger parts. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

Yes the Rondo 1 kit used to include the mini battery kit.  I have it too.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:13 PM, Mary Beth said:

@John R

I only have one Roger X (02) receiver and do not have Roger 21 integrated battery covers.  So the only way I can use my Roger Select at the moment is to use the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  Therefore stuck with blended mono due to the telecoil transmission being identical on both sides.

Rondo, Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 all have the same 2 options for Roger receivers.

1) use the neckloop Roger receivers (Roger neckloop or Roger MyLink) with processors on MT (mix) or T (streamed audio only).  Remember that Rondo 3 does not have a built in telecoil and must use the telecoil adapter which mixes at 60/60.  Other settings can be configured by our audiologists.

2) use the mini battery pack with a Roger X (02) receiver plugged into it which then is cabled to the Roger/Roger2/Roger3.  This is cumbersome but does allow separate Roger receivers for each side.

@Mary Beth for option (2), do I need a special program added by the AuD to my Rondo so the processor knows to take it's input from the ROGER X (02) receiver or does it switch automatically when it finds the receiver? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

No.  No special programs are needed in order to use the mini battery pack with a Roger X (02) receiver plugged into the euro jack.  When the Roger X receives audio from a paired Roger transmitter (Roger On, Roger Select, Roger Pen, etc) the audio will mix 50/50 with the Rondo mic.  There is no way to get 100/0 streamed audio this way.

Mary beth/john ross, 

I have sonnet 2 eas. I am to get a compatible ha (or get another ci)

If i get a phonak compatible ha, will i really need a roger product in order to receive true stereo?

Also, some of the multiple descriptions ive heard are confusing me i keep thinking roger items are similar to audio link.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

Streaming to a Med-El CI and a hearing aid at the same time requires third party devices.  Med-El ‘s AudioLink ONLY works with some Med-El processors.  It does not work with any hearing aid.

Bimodal streaming ( @John R does this and can give you first hand info):

1) BT around the ear headphones (as long as they do not cause feedback in the hearing aid)

2) BT neckloop (as long as the hearing aid has an active telecoil)

3) Roger transmitter plus appropriate receivers for both the hearing aid and CI processor.

6 hours ago, Dianna said:

Mary beth/john ross, 

I have sonnet 2 eas. I am to get a compatible ha (or get another ci)

If i get a phonak compatible ha, will i really need a roger product in order to receive true stereo?

Also, some of the multiple descriptions ive heard are confusing me i keep thinking roger items are similar to audio link.

I am a bit concerned that the only way to use a Roger system, bimodally with the Rondo 3 and a HA, is via telecoil neck loop. This is quite a cumbersome setup and doesn't provide music quality sound for bimodal Rondo users. As a lover of STEREO MUSIC, and a Rondo wearer, I'm worried that MedEl isn't seriously thinking through the repercussions of their focusing on their own proprietary AudioStream(ing) technology to the exclusion of working with an excellent extant Roger system. What we need is a way to load up receivers/drivers RogerDirect(ly) onto the next version Rondo 4 so that the new generation of Roger iN microphones can be used to stream bimodally, in stereo.

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

I doubt that Roger receivers will ever be built into Med-El processors as people are mostly interested in direct BT streaming from phones and tablets to processors.

2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@artkup

I doubt that Roger receivers will ever be built into Med-El processors as people are mostly interested in direct BT streaming from phones and tablets to processors.

Is there any future for not-too-cumbersome stereo bimodal music streaming in which one side is a one piece MedEl processor?

I suspect a RogerDirect "receiver" is just some number of bytes of a data file which can get uploaded via some Roger "Installer" type device.

It's a matter of MedEl deciding whether or not they want to play well with Roger in the sandbox.

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

Just a guess but since the addition of the proprietary BT receiver that only works with the AudioLink and app in Rondo 3 ended up kicking out the telecoil, space may be an issue too.  I know there is a lot of interest in direct BTLE receivers in a future Rondo.  Time will tell what Med-El decides to offer.

37 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@artkup

Just a guess but since the addition of the proprietary BT receiver that only works with the AudioLink and app in Rondo 3 ended up kicking out the telecoil, space may be an issue too.  I know there is a lot of interest in direct BTLE receivers in a future Rondo.  Time will tell what Med-El decides to offer.

What is the potential for CI/HA bimodal mixed brand, simultaneous BT streaming sans telecoil?

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

A select few android phones stream bilaterally to combined HA and Med-El CI processors.  It’s an android phone tech not a HA or CI tech.  I’ll try to find a link.

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

Here is the link.

read this thread.

I do not know anything else about it other than what is mentioned in that thread. Connectivity options is a fast advancing field.  Connectivity receivers in both CI processors and hearing aids are rapidly advancing as well as accessibility features on phones.  I expect we will continue to have more and more options over the next years.

That being said, I choose to use my Artone neckloop daily.  I do look forward to using the AudioStream daily before too long.

I consider Roger Select and Roger receivers to be quality tech- especially for speech in noise or from a distance.  I have that tech but do not have a need for it in my daily life.  

I love tech and I enjoy testing out tech.  But I just listen with my processor mics in my daily life unless I’m streaming an audiobook, making a hands free phone call or flying with headphones.

@artkup @Dianna @Mary Beth
You guys have had me testing everything this morning, Roger Pen, Roger Select ( that has the Dolby Digital Logo On it ) and the answer isn't pretty. 
Listening to my Reference monitors and through Headphones I get true stereo separation panning things left and right to Centre. 
Using Any streaming Direct to the HA and the CI The best was the Dolby Digital Select but Would refer to it as a pseudo stereo not at all close to True stereo. 
There was always a bleed of audio signal to both left or right sides, never a full or true separation. 
Something I would like to take up with Rogers as I find the use of the Dolby logo misleading on this factor. 

Equipment I used to test.
iMac Pro 
Presonus Digital Audio Interface (16 Channel) 
Beats By Dre (headphones)
KRK Reference Monitors
Roger Select
Roger Pen
Phonak Hearing Aid, Med-EL Sonnet 2 (Phonak Bluetooth Battery Cover) 

Software:
Logic, Garage Band & iTunes software
Allan Parsons Reference tracks with Stereo and Phase tests ( yes everything tested "in Phase" )
Custom tracks recorded specifically for this test.  

Disappointed YES, but in this case we are talking about 2 brands who technically are competitors, Rogers being owned By Phonak (Sonova) who of course also Own Advanced Bionics. SO effectively having Sonova sharing technology with Med-EL and likewise Med-EL creating devices that pair with other brands is a huge plus for us in the long run regardless. 

I did try to attach some photos of the set up and some screen shots but the system wouldn't allow it even though they were underneath the 15kb size limit. 

Thank you @John R. Honestly, at this point I would be doing backflips and cartwheels with "pseudo-stereo" via bimodal streaming in a way that's not too cumbersome. I live in Gotham and spend a fair amount of time walking and taking public transportation around the City. Would love a set up I could count on that was mobile, could stream music from my soon to have Google 6 Android Phone to my Phonak P90-RT  HA + MedEl Rondo Processor and didn't have wires sticking out from everywhere, so I could listen to music as I go about my day in The Big Apple. Am I asking for too much?