Much Better

Lauren

First good news in a while. Got the MAP fixed and it’s the best one yet. No more muffled sounds. And for the first time sounds are obviously coming in through the left when I’m wearing my HA on the right. Previously the HA was overpowering the left side as it was set too low/too muffled. 

But finally, finally, when wearing both CI and HA and having someone speaking to me I can at least hear in both ears. Still sounds weird and don’t catch everything but it’s a step in the right direction.  Did light testing and with EAS I do have better sound distinction; for a change even I could tell. 

Then on the ride home my car sounded like a muscle car. Though… it’s the total opposite of a muscle car. Made me smile. Finally starting to see the benefits and good sides of CIs (with a long ways to go of course). 

Hi lauren, im excited for you! Im glad you can see improvement! That is sooo cool. What ha do you have? Im still deciding. 💘 i took the day off from any streaming to use just eas speaker, i think i need that ha! Gratz on a better map! Do you find more wind issues with the eas and ha? I was getting crackling noises too so also got a haircut (finally). 

I am wondering if your audi turned on all options on your fine tuner?

Again, gratz on an upswing, keep on keepin on girll!

3 hours ago, Dianna said:

Hi lauren, im excited for you! Im glad you can see improvement! That is sooo cool. What ha do you have? Im still deciding. 💘 i took the day off from any streaming to use just eas speaker, i think i need that ha! Gratz on a better map! Do you find more wind issues with the eas and ha? I was getting crackling noises too so also got a haircut (finally). 

I am wondering if your audi turned on all options on your fine tuner?

Again, gratz on an upswing, keep on keepin on girll!

My current is Phonak Naida V-90 SP. Model itself is outdated as its 9 years old and I've had it for 6. I may be upgrading to a new one next year.

9 minutes ago, Lauren said:

My current is Phonak Naida V-90 SP. Model itself is outdated as its 9 years old and I've had it for 6. I may be upgrading to a new one next year.

Thanks, i have to look at phonak, apparently there may be a costco aid available. I just realized today my center is a hospital! So i may investigate at their hearing center. My insurance is new starting lastt month so im researching to compare this one with others for 2022 to get best for hearing. If there is a deductible then may wait til january. Thre is so much info lol. Take care and enjoy your settings ❤ 

4 minutes ago, Dianna said:

Thanks, i have to look at phonak, apparently there may be a costco aid available. I just realized today my center is a hospital! So i may investigate at their hearing center. My insurance is new starting lastt month so im researching to compare this one with others for 2022 to get best for hearing. If there is a deductible then may wait til january. Thre is so much info lol. Take care and enjoy your settings ❤ 

Yes, Costco has a hearing aid center, I would get my batteries from there as they were the cheapest in my area and worked well. Never got HAs from there but they do have Phonak and I think Oticon plus a few other too; any HA place you go to should have multiple brands/options for you to choose from if not all the big brands. HAs also qualify for FSA purchases, as does the MED-EL site, so if you have that it'll help. Costco takes it too, just make sure your FSA debit isn't MasterCard like mine, but depending on the plan it should allow reimbursements from out of pocket eligible purchases.

My insurance is changing next year too, which is why I'm waiting. For the first time I'll have a benefit dollar amount that will help pay for a hearing aid and I'd just pay whatever is over that amount. That plus I only need one will make this the "cheapest" HA purchase I've ever had.

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2021 at 9:05 AM, Lauren said:

Costco has a hearing aid center

Congrats on the new map Lauren!

As an aside, while Costco is one of my favorite stores in the world, I would not buy a hearing aid from any vendor that locks the hearing aids so that my audiologist at my CI center can't adjust them (though the decision is moot for me as I no longer benefit from hearing aids). 

I had read about this when shopping for my aids last time and found this just now. The quote says "many" so it may be worth investigating to see if the specific model that you are looking for is locked by Costco. This applies to other vendors as well (as I found out when shopping around pre-CI).

• Are they “Locked” hearing aids? Costco® Hearing Aid Centers typically “lock” many of their devices so adjustments can only be performed at their locations. A patient who buys a locked hearing aid will have no choice but to go back to their stores, even if they move to a city where the location is not convenient or they are unhappy with the service. 

Thanks for sharing. I wasn’t aware that vendors do/did that. I got my new hearing aid at my regular clinic, same place I go for my left CI. Got it early February. 

Im trying to get in before late April for a MAP adjustment as I think my new HA is overpowering my CI just a skootch. my appointment was to be this week but my AuD slipped on ice and broke her leg (in the last few weeks of winter!) so now it’s waiting. If not by late April then it won’t be until probably June or July that I can go in. 

4 hours ago, Lauren said:

Thanks for sharing. I wasn’t aware that vendors do/did that. I got my new hearing aid at my regular clinic, same place I go for my left CI. Got it early February. 

Im trying to get in before late April for a MAP adjustment as I think my new HA is overpowering my CI just a skootch. my appointment was to be this week but my AuD slipped on ice and broke her leg (in the last few weeks of winter!) so now it’s waiting. If not by late April then it won’t be until probably June or July that I can go in. 

Ah, I am glad that you were able to get a HA at the same clinic so that the configurations can be closely coordinated. I'm sorry to hear about your AuD's misfortune so close to the end of winter!

Hopefully the link/info about HA locking will be helpful for others who are shopping for a HA to go with a CI. ☺️

• 5 weeks later...

Hi lauren, my audi gave me a "prescription" but i dont want to go to a separate place, so i found out my hospital has a clinic so im going to make an appintment there lol, behind her back! She thinks i have too far to drive but there are no ha places closer and i think i should be in the same place. Did you get phonak?

1 hour ago, Dianna said:

Hi lauren, my audi gave me a "prescription" but i dont want to go to a separate place, so i found out my hospital has a clinic so im going to make an appintment there lol, behind her back! She thinks i have too far to drive but there are no ha places closer and i think i should be in the same place. Did you get phonak?

Yes, I have another Phonak. Normally a new HA would make me excited but now that I’m bimodal it’s just… meh.