AudioStream user experiences updates October 2021

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Just checking in to see how your AudioStream is working.

Please state:

iPhone or android?

Sonnet 1 or Sonnet 2?

Your experiences… pro and con

Any difficulties?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPad (no clues which version it is)

Sonnet 2

Works well although sometimes it’ll just lose its connection for some reasons like it times out or something. Turning BT, Sonnet off then reconnecting in Accessibility menu fixes it.  Other than that, seems to function as expected. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DeafChef

@Karen T

@Roy K.

@karenRS

@Jared Charney

@KittKatz

@Dani

@SKOM

@Kylie

@Viola DeVinney

@Joe

@Lynda

@Ralph34

@StarStuff

tagging some AudioStream users.  Sorry if I missed anyone.  I’m interested in hearing from all AudioStream users.  Please join in.

Audio stream is working very well. At the beginning I was losing connection every couple of days, now it has been rock solid. I am able to switch between iPhone and iPad without any trouble. I am very pleased.

Thanks MaryBeth,

No change in my status.

All the previously stated difficulties remain, I am now of course using the Audiostream exclusively with IPhone 11pro and Artone 3Max with IPad Pro 12.9inch.

All my devices are running the latest IOS/IPadOS —15.2.

My IPad doesn’t connect with Audiostream at all! It does recognize the audiostream but does not pair.

Any new tricks?

Phone and iPad are old. iPhone is 5s  running 12.5.5. iPad is 6 generation running 14.8.1.

When I want to switch to iPhone, I shut off the Bluetooth on the iPad and it connects almost instantly. This can be a problem if I am away from home and my iPad is still connected. Then I cannot get the phone to work. It is like the Audio Stream remembers what it is connected to and will not let go until the Bluetooth is shut down on that device. 
make sure Bluetooth is off on all devices except  the one you want to connect to.

Good luck

Please ignore my previous input!

I have to be honest I have not tried reconnecting by audio stream to the iPad for almost 6-7 weeks and have been out of town and out of the country just got back- after reading Ralphs message and your feedback request I just tried to repair the audio stream with iPad and successfully was able to do  so!  I’m going to keep my fingers crossed and test this out for automatic switching and audio handoff for the next week or so before I say anything more thanks.

Thanks Ralph, Yes I will do all these things my devices as I mentioned of course are running  the latest software.

Skom

i believe the newer software is better at handing over the Bluetooth between devices. This is working for me and I am afraid to upgrade 

Honestly, my audiologist attempted to unsuccessfully connnect my Sonnet 2. I have not tried again. I see him in two weeks and will ask him to help me again.

• Sad 2

I use mine with a Samsung Galaxy S9+

I camp all summer and do not have access to wifi, so for the summer I removed my AudioStreams (I'm bilateral) and went back to the normal covers.  At the end of the summer, the first time I went to use them only one was working (turned bluetooth off and on multiple times).  The working one worked on either processor (either ear), but the non-working one would not work on any (tried both).  No matter what I tried in the AudioKey app Connectivity Options, it said "No AudioStream".  I inspected the cover for cracks but there were none.  I contacted my Med-El rep rep who said there may be problems with reconnecting if the AudioStreams have not been used for awhile.

My rep suggested;

·         In the AudioKey 2 app, go to Connectivity Options (in the top left menu, with the 3-horizontal lines), select AudioStream and then Reset.

·         Repeat the Configuration of both AudioStreams, make sure that your processor batteries are FULLY charged when you do this.

·         This Configuration step may sometimes take several attempts, when it is done after a period of time with successful streaming (when it’s the first Configuration, fewer attempts are normally needed for successful pairing). 

I followed the rep’s instructions for the Reset and then Configuration.  Despite what seemed like a million re-tries, the best it would do is to be successful for the first one and fail on the second.  Interestingly, it didn't matter if I switched the AudioStreams to the opposite processor.

I finally gave up and decided I would just have to listen to Spotify with only one ear for now, which I did.  Later when I went back to use Spotify again it was still working with only one, but now it was the opposite one (weird).  I removed the processor from my head, opened and closed the battery cover, and it worked -despite AudioKey2 telling me that it failed.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.🤪

I must say when it works, AudioStream is amazing!  I love bilateral streaming.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Bilateral Sonnet 2

7/10 rating for AudioStream

AudioStream works pretty well for me. My only concern is the connection strength when your phone is in your pocket. It starts to stutter and distort. Maybe it works best in a coat pocket or on a strap around your arm. In a workout or noisy environment, my go to is the AudioLink for the time being. It is harder to listen if you’re trying to jog because of the lack of noise cancel. The wind noise is just too much. 

Aside from that, I have no problems with the sound quality(when in optimal position).  

****Battery Life Differences****
After months of using both AudioLink and AudioStream, there is a very slight difference in battery life between the two. 
if AudioLink streaming can last 4 hours straight, the AudioStream would be roughly 1 hour more in terms of battery life, so 5~ hours. There are multiple factors though, such as when not in use, the AudioStream goes to sleep when not needed. This definitely helps. But in terms of continuous play, I’d say it will still last longer than the AudioLink connection. Battery life with no connection to streaming or other devices is usually 7 hours. 

I’m a bilateral audiostream user with iPhone 12 and ios 14.8. I still have problems at times and frequently have to open and close the door of the audiostream for it to connect. It’s often worse the first time in the day  I connect  but improves after that. Am going to upgrade to the new ios to see if that makes a difference. It seems to connect quicker if I make a call rather than receive it

Hi. Sonnet 1 user with audiostream.  About two weeks ago I lost connection with my audiostream. I’ve tried every hack everyday and no luck.  I have an IPhone 11 Pro. I do love it when it connects but this two week blackout is disappointing.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to use AS when I am on the elliptical. There can be annoying issues with connecting my Galaxy S9 to it, but usually turning BT on and off on the phone solves the issue.

As I mentioned on a different thread last month, I place a small piece of scotch tape over the microphones on my Sonnet. This has two benefits:

1. Blocks sweat from getting on the mic covers and distorting sound, causing scratchiness and malfunctions, etc. (The mic covers just do not live up to their IP rating)
  2. What is interesting is that prior to engaging AudioStream, I can still hear with the mic, though obviously sound is diminished due to the scotch tape. But once AS is on, everything goes silent except for the AS sound. It's as if the reduced sensitivity created by the tape triggers something when AS engages and mutes the mics entirely.

Still a great product, but I'll be happy when MedEl releases a new processor that has the capability built right into it with the ability to mute mics with the press of a button/program switch instead of the scotch tape hack . Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to be any time soon.

This thread popped up for me with perfect timing. Paused my rehab and went to get my AS. Haven't been using it much due to it being a power hog, but with it on and using it like the regular cover there was noticeable differences for me. I was struggling in Hearoes Vowel Mixup 1 & 2 (F) that I am currently working on and there was a noticeable difference in my ability to distinguish between those tricky words.

However, I've since moved on to an audio book per many suggestions and a different thread, and the battery indicated it needed changing and had issues getting it reconnected but was just able to do so (thankfully). Just in time too, as I was about to  report that I couldn't!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

If we stream often with AudioStream, Med-El recommends we use disposable batteries.  You can see that in the Med-El US Webstore.  Power One implant batteries work best for me.  If you contact Med-El US, they can check to see if your insurance covers them.  I am on their quarterly battery shipment program.

Glad you are connected again.

278CDC14-1DB3-4F03-9ACA-A55412B22B33.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Lauren

If we stream often with AudioStream, Med-El recommends we use disposable batteries.  You can see that in the Med-El US Webstore.  Power One implant batteries work best for me.  If you contact Med-El US, they can check to see if your insurance covers them.  I am on their quarterly battery shipment program.

Glad you are connected again.

278CDC14-1DB3-4F03-9ACA-A55412B22B33.jpeg

Thank you. I have sent a message to check on insurance coverage for batteries. I'm not really out and about so rechargeable has been working well for me but I'll try disposables to see if they are better clarity-wise over RCBs. I mostly just carry disposables (and the adapter of course) for emergencies should the RCBs fail me. Usually one RCB in use and one spare is all I need for going out. I don't travel far. Might change things up though as I use AS more.

• 2 weeks later...

Still glitchy and unreliable. The only reason I haven’t given up on it is when it is working, it is awesome. Still drops connectivity frequently and often takes multiple attempts to get both side reconnected. Have we gotten any additional feedback from Med-El?

Finally was able to connect, but still will not work with InnoCaption, which is my highest priority for streaming. Also, I have to open the battery door on my hearing aid to disable it, or my iPhone 11 streams only to my hearing aid. 
I wish streaming to both were possible. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Viola DeVinney

There are a select few android phone and hearing aid combinations that now have dual BT streaming but I have not read any reviews from AudioStream bimodal users who have tried it yet.

Have you tried using Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop?  It will deliver all iPhone audio to both your Sonnet 2 and your hearing aid as long as your hearing aid has an active telecoil.  Just put both in MT or T.  I use the Artone almost everyday for streaming.  Very easy to use.  Here is a link to my captioned review of it in case you are interested.