CI JOURNEYS

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

We often talk about our cochlear implant JOURNEYS.  This is a quick snapshot of my CI journey.  I have been implanted over 6 years and there are still new WOW moments.  Enjoy your journey.  Wishing you the best!

Click on the photo to zoom in & read.

8AA73C29-105B-4A29-A09B-D18B7A2360FB.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow is this a mini journal you've been keeping each year? Or is it even bigger and we're seeing the highlight reel??

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol @Kylie

Way bigger!!!!  It’s 70 pages long at the moment!

Its just for me but once in awhile I share a WOW moment online.

I was thinking about our friends who are early in their CI journeys, like @Lauren @Dianna @Kirk S., and the discussion we had during the November GoogleMeet chat.  So I had the idea of selecting one item in my CI journey journal from activation and each subsequent year.  I thought it might show the JOURNEY part.

Did you keep a CI journal?

I am still entering new WOW moments in it several times a year.

The other night Jill was sitting next to me.  She whispered something in my right ear.  I heard every word.  Then she said, “This never gets old” and we chatted about my CI journey.  The ear she whispered in had not processed any sound for 24 years before being implanted.  I used to tell kids I just keep it to hold up my glasses.  Smile.  Who knew what it was capable of with a CI.  Amazing!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t really been keeping a dedicated journal but do jot some things down occasionally. 

Just today, I was walking to my car and heard some scraping that could only be someone shoveling snow. I was swiveling my head around to see if it was my work’s building maintenance crew, but couldn’t see anyone close to me that was in the act of shoveling. But the sound kept going. It turns out someone at the business on the other side of the road from my work’s parking lot was shoveling their walkway. Without my CI I may have seen the person when watching for traffic, but doubtful I would’ve either heard it or been annoyed at the “absolute racket” he was making. 😄