I am Vern Dearing I hope to have a Med El system installed soon.

Vern

I have had my right implant installed on the ninth of October, my Sonnet was activated on the twenty ninth of October. I am very happy how my hearing has improved, it is not perfect yet, I expect a very rapped improvement to near perfect hearing very soon. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Vern

Try to be patient different people progress at different rates. Actually each of my ears were pretty different in the way they adjusted. I am very happy to hear that you have had such success early on. We are believing that it will continue. Try to be patient. Perfect is a pretty ambitious goal. Again we hope you and everybody else gets there. Try to take it one day at a time and enjoy the ride.

Congratulations on your new journey

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

It has passed 7 days...?  :huh:

Uauuu....!  ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

HI guys. Surgery went pretty well. But there was some brain fluid leaking so the surgeon had to fix it. I have to stay over night to make sure all is well.so far so good. Finally eating again!! Was so hungry!!! Pain not too bad. Talk later guys!!

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great! Take it easy and rest. I glad it went well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, welcome offically to the family! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

So glad to hear things went well! Now comes the next phase, trying to be patient while waiting for activation

• HearPeers Heroes

Well here's an update. Back In hospital. Possible csf leaking into nose. May need another surgery to get rid of the Eustasian tube it mane leaking fluid into my nose. Pain was really bad the fist night not so bad now. I finally got caught upon sleep yesterday and last night. They put a scope up my nose yesterday as well. That was a new one for me. Talk soon

• HearPeers Heroes

Did they actually approve that it's CSF? What colour is the fluid? If it really is CSF without revision surgery it won't be able to resolve it.

Please, be patient...

• HearPeers Heroes

If CSF leak sounds like you have a tear in the dura. Possibly from drilling. Glad you got seen right away.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Hadron, but this is pretty unexpected because during CI surgery you do not shape a real mastoidectomy and you are not trying to expose part of the temporal bone where you can expect it. However, there is possibility that one of (horizontal) semicircular canal is touched but it would be accompanied with vertigo or instability.

Most of everything, I expect that this is just middle ear clearance after surgery, but let's see.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well Ivana the did a mastoidectomy there was fluid leaking from the hole above the semi circular canal. Where the stapes was. during the ci surgery. Also they took some fat from my hip and some glue to stop the leak. So I got staples in my stomach too. They said there was a lot of pressure in my head maybe for many years. They think that the meningitis and seizures that I have had were all related to this pressure. He was very shocked about this as he never had to do it during an implantation. Through my whole life all Drs have said similar things. Yesterday they put a scope up my nose to have a look the three Drs were passing it around to get their turn!! Lol. There has been no confirmation yet for sure of csf. I am currently on bed rest at the hospital and if all goes well with no changes they will send me home tomorrow. Otherwise he will have to go back in remove the eustasian tube as well and put in some bone cement to stop all leaking.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

In a perilymph fistula, what kind of fluid is leaking? And where does it come from?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

New Hearing,

I sure hope your problem gets resolved quickly. It's not so exciting being a medical special case, is it?!

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Maybeth

It is lymphatic fluid. I had a fistula when I was in my early 20's. It is my understanding that the fluid in the cochlea and the fluid in the middle ear is different. I could be remembering that part wrong.

Any type of straining or increased pressure like blowing your nose, bending over can cause the fluid to leak through the hole, causing pretty bad vertigo attacks as well as loss of hearing if not repaired. Most commonly a fistula happens due to some type of trauma to the head.

In my case, we could not come up with where this could have happened. I ended up having a number of surgeries to finally fix the problem. This was the same ear I had to have the Labrynthectomy in in 2009.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had two perilymph fistulas in the same ear following two different ear surgeries. The vertigo was terrible. I too ended up getting a transcanal labrynthectomy later on in that ear.

Seems that New Hearing has a different kind of leak. I haven't heard of a CSF leak following CI surgery before. I hope it gets fixed soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

NewHearing,

Sounds like you are in good spirits and your surgeons are on top of things. Perhaps there was a hole in the stapes footplate which I guess would leak through the oval window.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes it leaked through there as well as the area around the mastoid cavity. I came back to the hospital because it was in my nose. There seem pretty on top of it. There is less and less. So I may go home tomorrow. Thanks for all the info guys.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have always been a medical special case. Don't know any different.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is quite unusual situation - so it wasn't leaking from the labyrinth? Possibly your dura lies low because there is no reason to drill mastoidectomy in full range and high above.

Anyway, anatomical differences is something what always should be counted in the surgical process.

So - although they plugged a hole it is still leaking? They are right because usually few drops of csf stop without special intervention.

• HearPeers Heroes

You have a great attitude New Hearing. Sure hope it stops leaking and you can go home.