I am Vern Dearing I hope to have a Med El system installed soon.

Vern

• HearPeers Heroes

Well Ivana the did a mastoidectomy there was fluid leaking from the hole above the semi circular canal. Where the stapes was. during the ci surgery. Also they took some fat from my hip and some glue to stop the leak. So I got staples in my stomach too. They said there was a lot of pressure in my head maybe for many years. They think that the meningitis and seizures that I have had were all related to this pressure. He was very shocked about this as he never had to do it during an implantation. Through my whole life all Drs have said similar things. Yesterday they put a scope up my nose to have a look the three Drs were passing it around to get their turn!! Lol. There has been no confirmation yet for sure of csf. I am currently on bed rest at the hospital and if all goes well with no changes they will send me home tomorrow. Otherwise he will have to go back in remove the eustasian tube as well and put in some bone cement to stop all leaking.

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Huh, I was reading your post during commuting to work so I have missed that your fluid leaked from cochlea - if they removed stapes than it was done ordinary cochleostomy, if not - your surgeon put it through the round window - it is called round window cochleostomy. 

This data actually changes my answer because I thought that you mentioned a hole somewhere around your semicircular canal and this was and is pretty unusual situation.

If it is CSF - than you had one complication which is known as CSF gusher.

Here are some interesting texts to read about it: 

1) http://www.ejo.eg.net/article.asp?issn=1012-5574;year=2015;volume=31;issue=1;spage=19;epage=29;aulast=Mehanna

"Normally, CSF is not present in the cochlea; the CSF in the subarachnoid space extends laterally into the internal auditory canal (IAC) as far as the fundus, where it is separated from the perilymph by a bony plate termed the cribriform plate; however, it can access the cochlea and may be encountered during cochlear implantation either through an abnormal developmental pathway of the otic capsule, usually a deficient cribriform plate, or after traumatic disruption of the temporal bone.

Gusher-prone developmental abnormalities of the cochlea-vestibular apparatus include an abnormally wide IAC (IAM), LVAS, incomplete partition type II (Mondini) malformation, and common cavity malformation [3]. The majority of these anomalies usually become uncovered with preoperative imaging; however, unexpected CSF leaks may occur at the time of accessing the basal turn of the cochlea for inserting the electrode array, whether through a round window or through the ordinary cochleostomy anteroinferior to the round window, without any preoperative radiologic evidence of any congenital inner-ear malformation."

2) http://www.maneyonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/1754762813Y.0000000048

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

In a perilymph fistula, what kind of fluid is leaking? And where does it come from?

Mary Beth

A link for you Mary Beth :)

http://www.cochlea.eu/en/cochlea/cochlear-fluids- it's a perilymph. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I had two perilymph fistulas in the same ear following two different ear surgeries. The vertigo was terrible. I too ended up getting a transcanal labrynthectomy later on in that ear.

Seems that New Hearing has a different kind of leak. I haven't heard of a CSF leak following CI surgery before. I hope it gets fixed soon.

It can be but if it is CSF then it is developmental malformation. That's why it should be tested because in these situation people can get meningitis over and over.

• HearPeers Heroes

Maybeth

It is lymphatic fluid. I had a fistula when I was in my early 20's. It is my understanding that the fluid in the cochlea and the fluid in the middle ear is different. I could be remembering that part wrong.

Any type of straining or increased pressure like blowing your nose, bending over can cause the fluid to leak through the hole, causing pretty bad vertigo attacks as well as loss of hearing if not repaired. Most commonly a fistula happens due to some type of trauma to the head.

In my case, we could not come up with where this could have happened. I ended up having a number of surgeries to finally fix the problem. This was the same ear I had to have the Labrynthectomy in in 2009.

Usually, in the middle ear there shouldn't be any fluid- Otherwise it is - an effusive otitis media. 

Well, it can also happen due to the cholesteatoma's spread. Hard to predict - when did you had your cholesteatoma surgery?

• HearPeers Heroes

So no more leaking everyone. I am home on bed rest till the staples come out next week. They didn't find an definitive csf. But it was his diagnosis in the discharge report. Looking forward to getting the staples out!! Next Wednesday. The 18. Thanks again for all your support. We definitely have analyzing group here. He called CSF leak post CI implantation Ivana.

• HearPeers Heroes

The dr have me A detailed diagram Ivana and is hard to explain. Yes to the round window and a tear or something of that nature to the dura in the mastoid cavity.

• HearPeers Heroes

I bet. Rest and take it easy. The hard part should be over by now. Just recover and then wait for activation day. When will you be activated?

• HearPeers Heroes

December 1st will be the start of an awesome journey for you. Stay well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you both. Looking forward to it. Wounds are healing well. Always trying to keep positive. Even if I have to stay on the couch another day! Forward in living!!!