Rondo 3 & Bluetooth

Andrew42

Five days week into activation and I am having all sorts of issues on the Rondo/ Bluetooth/Audiolink front. I must be doing something wrong so any help would be much appreciated. I have an iPhone 12.

1.       Firstly, all the following is far less important to me that improving my ability to hear words. My recognition of sounds seems to be pretty good and sensitive. Words are a different issue at the moment. That said:-

2.       Rondo does not appear in Accessibility/hearing aids. Is it meant to?

3.       Rondo does not connect to bluetooth automatically. I have to force it manually and then it drops again after a while. I did not pair my Rondo to my Iphone and I did not see it done so I don’t know the process of unpairing, re-pairing. I will discuss this with my audiologist next week.

4.       Audiolink connects automatically to Bluetooth if it is on, but Audiolink seems to shut down automatically after a while and I have to restart it.

5.       Cannot for the life of me work out what Audiolink does. Mic on or Off nothing comes into my ears. I have not tried attaching Audiolink to my TV as that is a bit of a task since the audio is not optical so I do not know if that streaming works

6.       In coming calls go to my hearing aid, if it is switched on. If HA not on incoming calls go to the phone not my Rondo. For learning purposes I attach my HA as little as possible during the day and only when I need to be sure I understand what is being said.

All of this forms part of my notes for discussion at my next meeting. But, in the meantime, any observations would be very gratefully received.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

I am glad your journey is starting off well.

Rondo 3 does not have direct BT for audio streaming built in.  It can not connect directly to your phone for audio streaming.  It will not show up under accessibility- hearing devices.

Rondo 3 has a built in receiver that allows us to use the AudioKey2 app as a remote.  To pair Rondo 3 for the remote functions follow this video 

AudioLink is the proprietary intermediary device for Rondo 3 streaming.  It will only stream to your Rondo 3, not to your hearing aid.  AudioLink videos can be found here

AudioLink can stream wirelessly from phone to Rondo 3 for phone calls only.  Audio travels phone to AudioLink to Rondo 3.  For other audio from your phone we have 2 options.

1) Use the Med-El app Audio2Ear which is an A2DP converter.  Running this converter in the background allows all audio from phone to go to AudioLink then to Rondo 3.

2) Attach AudioLink to phone with cables.  Sound goes from phone through cables to AudioLink then to Rondo 3.

To stream audio to both your hearing aid (if it has an active telecoil) and Rondo 3 simultaneously, you can use the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.  Folllow this link

Thank you very much. There is something wrong in my setup because my iPhone telephone calls do not go to my Rondo. Thanks to your advice I have installed the Audi2Ear app and tested it to my Rondo and that seems to be working. Now to understand why incoming phone calls are not going to the Rondo. All in good time…..

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

iphones can route audio to one device.  So either your hearing aid or your AudioLink-to Rondo 3.

You can manage this two ways that I know of.

1) in the call feature by selecting the audio you wish it to use for that call 

2) in accessibility hearing devices by not selecting to have phone calls automatically go to your hearing aid 

To hear the call in both your hearing aid and Rondo 3 simultaneously, you can use Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop as long as your hearing aid has an active telecoil.  Set HA and Rondo 3 both to MT.  Artone 3 is true hands free for calls.

Thank you very much. There is something wrong in my setup because my iPhone telephone calls do not go to my Rondo. Thanks to your advice I have installed the Audi2Ear app and tested it to my Rondo and that seems to be working. Now to understand why incoming phone calls are not going to the Rondo. All in good time…..

not sure why this repeated and can’t find how to delete 

First post-Activation mapping took place yesterday. Reduced magnet strength, added volume and added four programmes. All went well except the Rondo ran out of juice. This was interesting because I charge it each night and normally I have about 25% of charge left at the end of the day. I have had concerns before that the location of the processor on the charging unit is quite sensitive. For once I didn’t check the level in the morning and I think it simply never got a full charge.

I addition was told the following, for better or worse:

1. Don't bother with Artone neckloop, Audiolink is better

2. Rondo cannot have a direct connection to an iPhone and use Audiolink at the same time. It has to be one or the other so to make matters simple we will simply remove the Direct BT connection. I went along with that and we wiped out the Direct BT link. I’m not sure I’m comfortable with that decision but I know how to reverse it.

On getting Home I found out that I could no longer measure battery level except by using the colour coding on the processor itself. That is a bore. If there is a way please let me know.

All in all, not a bad day. I operate without my HA as much as possible, not because I hear better, just to force my implanted side to work harder. I can't complain. I'm getting on better than I had expected.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

I am so happy you are starting off so well.

I did not realize that Rondo 3 could not direct connect to phones to use the AudioKey2 app features if it was also paired to AudioLink.  @MED-EL Moderator will you explain this more for us please?  How do we use Rondo 3 with an iPhone for the app as a remote (AudioKey2) while also using AudioLink with Rondo 3 on iPhone?

As far as tech that is “better”….  In my opinion that is a personal preference which in part is determined by the situations we wish to use the tech and whether we use a hearing aid with our CI, have full acoustic hearing with a CI or are bilateral.

What is the best piece of tech for one person may not be best for another person.  We can however start to see themes when reading many user reviews of the same tech.

Frankly, Mary Beth, I’m feeling my way and I am not all convinced that the audiologist who is mapping my processor is right in all he says. It sums up like this:

1.       Rondo 3 can interface directly with an iPhone for telephone calls only.

2.       Rondo 3 can also interface with an iPhone for calls and other streaming devices via Audiolink

3.       It cannot do both at the same time.

Therefore.

To make life simpler he simply disconnected my direct BT interface by going into my BT settings, selecting Rondo 3 and “forget this device”.

This left me with Medel Audiolink as my only BT interface.

As a result, it was necessary for me to carry Audiolink around with me all the time and have it switched on if I wanted to use my phone. At my current state of development, I cannot hear well enough in my implanted ear to understand telephone conversations. To do that I have to turn on the HA in my left ear at which point my iPhone automatically defaults to that ear. So the value of what he did is not there for me at the moment.

Also found out that I lost the ability to read the battery level in Audiokey, which given yesterday’s problem was not convenient.

So, finally, what I have done is reinstated the direct BT interface between my iPhone and my Rondo and I am back to having both show in my BT settings on my iPhone.

I also discovered that in my Audiokey 2 profile are two connection methods Audiolink and Direct. I’m going to play with both and see where I end up. I can always go back and “forget my Rondo”, if necessary.

If I have confused you, I apologise, I have confused myself also!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

Let’s tag @MED-EL Moderator so they can give the best answer to this as well as the question I tagged them in above.

To my knowledge Rondo 3 does not stream any audio directly from phone- not even calls.  It streams through the AudioLink.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

Several Rondo 3 users have commented on their Rondo 3 processors not charging up correctly every night.  The work around they are using is getting the USB plug in cable for Rondo 3 and using that each night to charge.  Just sharing in case it helps you.

Excellent thought. I have a system on my desk which works for me. I have one 2m cable which at one end is connected to a high speed usb charger. The other end is a strong magnet. Each item I charge, Rondo flat charger, Iphone, Ipad etc has a permanent adapter plugged into it which is also magnetic and prevents dust etc getting into the charging port. The cable of the usb chargig adapter provided my Medel is only long enough to hook into a USB port on my computer and mine PC is configured to power down at 01:15 each morning after any updates have installed. So for my purposes the USB charger is an useful emergency piece of kit. My hope is that, if I am careful about the way I place the Rondo on the charger so that it doesn't slide and misalign itself, I can avoid what I think happened to me the other night when the Rondo displaced itself on the charger enough to become misaligned. Time will tell.

Hi @Mary Beth and @Andrew42,

thanks for your patience.

We’ve now received the information from our expert.

While streaming via AudioLink, connection to the processor is only possible via the AudioLink, direct connection is not possible.

But the good news is that so that you do not have to re-pair or do anything else, a very easy interface is implemented in Audiokey 2 in where in the “connection type” can be switched between “direct” and “AudioLink”.

That means, if you e.g. want to stream music via AudioLink and use the remote control commands, simply set the connection type to “AudioLink” so that both commands can be executed successfully.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Barbara

@MED-EL Moderator, @Mary Beth

Thanks Barbara. I don't know where I got the idea that Rondo 3 connected directly with an iPhone for telephone calls but needed Audiolink for every othe type of streaming.

I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board to work out what I am doing wrong.

I have worked out that the only way for Audiolink to show battery strength is if my Profile is set to "Direct".

Where I'm struggling is getting mobile calls to go to my Processor. In my left ear I have a Resound hearing aid and it is connected to the Resound app. With my hearing aid on and connected to the resound app (automatic) calls only go to that ear. Even if I have Audiolink turned on and my profile set to Audiolink, Iphone calls only go to my hearing aid and all haptic sounds only go to my hearing aid. If I shut down my hearing aid I can't hear calls in my Processor nor haptic sounds. I must be doing something wrong but, for the life of me, I cannot thnk what it is.

Any help anyone can give me will be much appreciated.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

At the present moment there is no way to stream directly to your HA and Rondo 3 from your iPhone.

iPhones send audio to either the HA or the BT accessory (AudioLink) but not both simultaneously.  Which one is used for audio depends on your iPhone settings.

You can stream to both your HA and Rondo 3 simultaneously for all iPhone audio by using the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop as long as your hearing aid has an active telecoil.  Set your HA on MT and plug in the Rondo 3 telecoil adapter.  I stream through my Artone everyday and have been using their products since 2016.  Very easy to use.  

4 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

iPhones send audio to either the HA or the BT accessory (AudioLink) but not both simultaneously.  Which one is used for audio depends on your iPhone settings.

Thank Mary Beth.Can you advise me where in Iphone Settings I should go. When I go to Accessibilty it tells me either my Resound is connected or it is not. If My Resound is not connected does that mean the iPhone should automatically default to the Rondo or do I need to adjust some other setting? The only way I have found to get anything to stream to my processor is to turn my hearing aid completely off. I have tried turning off streaming to my resound. That doesn't do anyting at all.

I apologise for troubling you with this.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

It depends on what your goal is.  Do you want to keep being able to stream directly from your iPhone to your HA?  Or do you want to only stream from your iPhone to your AudioLink (which then sends it to your Rondo 3)?

or are you trying to set things up so you can switch between those 2 options?

• HearPeers Heroes

This link explains call audio routing on iPhones.  

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-set-your-speaker-or-headphones-default-audio-iphone

There are also audio setting options under accessibility….hearing devices… audio routing

And we can use the control center to select audio routing as well.  

• HearPeers Heroes

However if you are looking for a simple connection for all audio from your iPhone to just your HA, just your Rondo 3 or both HA & Rondo 3 simultaneously….  Artone is the way to go.

Ideally I would like the ability to switch at least until my understanding via my Processor has reached the same level as my understanding via my hearing aid.

Most of all I want to understand the theory. I do not like having bits of equipment I do not know how to adjust and that is certainly my problem with Audiolink. For example I have Audioloink turned on at the moment and suddenly when I pressed the Mic button the indicator light started flashing white and quickly. The mix button didn't work at all ands after a few moments the mic button turned off and the flashing stopped.  I looked up in the manual and found nothing to indicate what might be happening. I also looked up how to unpair the Audoilink from the Rondo but also could find nothing. In frustration I simply went through the pairing process again and miraculously the issue cured itself But:

I have not leaned what caused it in the first place

I have not found what a quickly flashing white signal means except that it is trying to communicate and presumably failed so it shut down trying.

I have not find out how to unpair the Rondo 

So, frankly, I not better off than I was except that I stumbled on something seems to have solved a problem which I do not why it occurred.

Thak you again for your patience and help.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

it is possible to guide audio by using the iPhone command center like this….

301E7DC4-527A-4E31-BD72-2EE1B9F88B90.jpeg

AB01335B-F635-490A-86BA-A4636334A0C2.jpeg