Back ups, holiday loaners, spare parts

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Today I was reminded of how helpful it has been to have backup processors.  In the US, some surgical kits include 2 processors (either by going to a 2 processor CI center or falling into an occasional Med-El promotion).  Those of us who are fortunate to fall into either of those, start our CI journey always having a back up processor.  Others may end up with a back up processor after upgrading 5+ years later by keeping the old processor as a back up.  And others may be eligible for holiday loaner processors as needed in their countries.

It is also important to have spare parts for our processors so we can deal with minor issues and keep on hearing.

What spare parts do you have?

• HearPeers Heroes

I have purchased spare parts for my Sonnets so that I can replace those parts as needed and keep on hearing. Then I replace the broken part with a new spare part so the supply stays updated and ready.

Sonnet spare parts:

DL-coil cover

DL-coil cable 

mic cover

o-ring (adding these to my spare supplies this week)

battery pack or rechargeable battery adapter 

battery cover

Good thought. We don't have two processor availabilty here. I have no spares at all for my Rondo 3. What would anyone advise me to have? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

If I had a Rondo 3 I would just have a back up mic cover and a back up way to charge it (special Med-El cable that goes in the Rondo 3 port and plugs into a USB charger) and then I would feel all set.  Rondo 3 is a much easier processor than Sonnet/Sonnet2.  Less parts.

For my Sonnet 2, I have all that @Mary Bethmentioned plus some spare ear hooks. I have one or two regulars plus one EAS spare. Only thing I’ll have to get replaced fairly frequently is an ear mold and tube for same due to using EAS.

For the Rondo I really only have mic covers (plain and design). As mentioned above I too should really invest in the other charging cable so I have an alternate to the charging pad. 

If I needed anything else that’s considered a common part, I’d check with my audiologist first. They’d likely have spares available locally. 

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s great @Lauren!

I did not have (and never had) spare o-rings for my Sonnets and that is what broke today.

Now I have ordered several so I will have them next time.

8FC29EC6-78D3-44E5-87C3-742AC2843329.jpeg

Probably not the final product but this is my organization right now. It’s much better having everything stored in one spot. Bottom left drawer is Sonnet 2 stuff, bottom right is Rondo 3.
Cases maintained in a “grab n go” ready status. 
93F12349-81BF-4E54-ACAC-D2AE04C47197.jpeg.faac4605c61c434cafcba28a7feb7b24.jpeg

-

12 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Andrew42

If I had a Rondo 3 I would just have a back up mic cover and a back up way to charge it (special Med-El cable that goes in the Rondo 3 port and plugs into a USB charger) and then I would feel all set.  Rondo 3 is a much easier processor than Sonnet/Sonnet2.  Less parts.

Thanks. The stadrad package here contains:

Pack of Rondo 3 covers (4 pieces) 

- 1x Audiolink

- 1x Pack of holders for the Rondo 3 (attachment to the clothes)

- 1x Case for the Rondo 3

- 1x Remote control (FineTuner Echo) - (which I do not use at all).

- 1x T-coil adapter(

- 1x Cable for the Audiolink (e.g. connection to the TV): which I cannot use becasue the Audiolink base has no optical capability, (very disappointing)..

- 1x Waterwear: bag for swimming.

- 1x Gripwear for better fastening (if necessary)

- 1x Cleaning set

- 1x Charging pad (wireless charging)

- 1x Usb cable for charging the Rondo 3 (connection to a Powerbank). I have a powerbank but have not yet tries to use it.

I use cases from an Australian company called Bellroy who make interesting products for carryinng things. Amongst other things   I have their Tech Pack which holds all my computer accessories: cables, powerbanks, USbs etc etc. All in one nice small zippered pack. I have ordered another in a different colour to hold all my Rondo kit. It is not as sexy nor as orgainsed as Lauren's set up. But I can throw it in my case and travel with it.

The photo is as I use it for my computer stuff.

20211128_133914648_iOS.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

It is nice that your country’s Rondo 3 kit includes that charging cable that goes from the Rondo 3 port to a USB. The Rondo 3 kit in the US has not included that cable according to posts here.  I think that cable should be included in all kits.  It is needed if the Rondo 3 runs out of power unexpectedly…. From not charging correctly the night before as reported by users or from not lasting a full listening day as reported by users.  I wonder why that cable is not considered standard in all Rondo 3 kits.

99C4E843-7193-4031-80B9-851F14328402.jpeg

Our cable is a little different. It is housed in a  simple clip and unwinds to 1m (39") in length. I've tested it on my very old (five + years) power bank and the Rondo orange charging light comes on so I think it works. I've also plugged the USB-A end into an intelligent wall mounted fast charger and that seems to work as well. All good to know in case of need.

20211128_144303680_iOS.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a working OPUS 2 as a backup  processor to my 3-month old Sonnet 2.   The OPUS 2 is long out of warranty  and  Med-El does not have  the parts I  will need should one of the OPUS 2 parts fail,  as they  undoubtedly will as I have gone through a lot of parts over the years.  Does anyone have a suggestion where I may find replacements?  I have already looked on eBay but that is the only place I know.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@ChicagoIris

Some people pass along parts that are no longer needed.  There are FB groups geared to that.

And there are some companies in Europe with OPUS2 accessories that ship internationally.

https://smartear.eu/en/search?text=Med-El+opus+

https://www.connevans.co.uk/catalogue/18550574/MED-EL-Opus-2-Accessories