Accessory similar to FM system at home

Subbu

Hi my son is a bilateral CI recipient and he uses Sonata with Rondo2 processor. I am looking for accessories that will help my son hear my voice (and any other person's voice who speaks to him directly) much better. Something like neckloop, roger, audio link or FM system at home. Please note that I am not looking at connecting a phone or TV to his processors, but my voice. Kindly suggest.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Subbu

Welcome to HearPeers and wishing your son the very best.

There are several options but as a Teacher of the Deaf and bilateral CI user I would caution you about using remote mics extensively at home.  Since the goal is to be able to hear well with the processor alone, it is important to listen with the processor alone.

That being said, with Rondo 2 you can use….

1)  Rondo 2 mini battery pack with Roger X (02) plugged into the Euro port along with a Roger transmitter.  Rondo 2 stays on M.  No neckloop.  This would provide the best audio quality but requires using the cabled mini battery pack.

2). Phonak transmitter with Roger neckloop receiver and processor on MT (It is important that the audiologist set the Rondo 2 to have link monitoring features turned off to avoid a ticking sound when on MT/T).  Telecoil encounters electromagnetic interference which sounds like buzzing in some situations.  And the volume level will vary as your son moves and the distance between the neckloop and his Rondo 2 varies.

3). Artone Mic with Artone neckloop and processor on MT (It is important that the audiologist set the Rondo 2 to have link monitoring features turned off to avoid a ticking sound when on MT/T).  Telecoil encounters electromagnetic interference which sounds like buzzing in some situations.  And the volume level will vary as your son moves and the distance between the neckloop and his Rondo 2 varies.  This is less expensive but does not offer the same  level of microphone technology as Roger offers.