Accessory similar to FM system at home

Subbu

Hi my son is a bilateral CI recipient and he uses Sonata with Rondo2 processor. I am looking for accessories that will help my son hear my voice (and any other person's voice who speaks to him directly) much better. Something like neckloop, roger, audio link or FM system at home. Please note that I am not looking at connecting a phone or TV to his processors, but my voice. Kindly suggest.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Subbu

Welcome to HearPeers and wishing your son the very best.

There are several options but as a Teacher of the Deaf and bilateral CI user I would caution you about using remote mics extensively at home.  Since the goal is to be able to hear well with the processor alone, it is important to listen with the processor alone.

That being said, with Rondo 2 you can use….

1)  Rondo 2 mini battery pack with Roger X (02) plugged into the Euro port along with a Roger transmitter.  Rondo 2 stays on M.  No neckloop.  This would provide the best audio quality but requires using the cabled mini battery pack.

2). Phonak transmitter with Roger neckloop receiver and processor on MT (It is important that the audiologist set the Rondo 2 to have link monitoring features turned off to avoid a ticking sound when on MT/T).  Telecoil encounters electromagnetic interference which sounds like buzzing in some situations.  And the volume level will vary as your son moves and the distance between the neckloop and his Rondo 2 varies.

3). Artone Mic with Artone neckloop and processor on MT (It is important that the audiologist set the Rondo 2 to have link monitoring features turned off to avoid a ticking sound when on MT/T).  Telecoil encounters electromagnetic interference which sounds like buzzing in some situations.  And the volume level will vary as your son moves and the distance between the neckloop and his Rondo 2 varies.  This is less expensive but does not offer the same  level of microphone technology as Roger offers.

• 4 months later...

Hi, 

Thank you for the response. I've another question regarding option 1 mentioned above. For bilateral CI users, I heard that we need 2 sets of Roger X (02) and 2 mini battery packs required to be connected to both audio processors. In that case, will there be any issues with hearing like interference or uneasiness. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Subbu

You are correct.  Each Rondo 2 needs its own mini battery pack with its own Roger X (type 02) receiver plugged into the mini battery packs.  Stay on M setting.  No interference.  The same sound from the Roger transmitter (mic option) will be received by each side.

The downside of this is the need to clip two mini battery packs onto your child.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Beth for your quick response as always. I still need your valuable guidance on the following. 

The affordable option for us right now is to buy one FM set (one mini battery pack and one Roger X) initially and see if my son accepts the same (considering your final comment about the downside of using 2 clips with 2 FM sets) .
However my concerns are regarding impact of using single FM system for a bilateral CI recipient ;
Do I need to buy both the receivers right now or can I buy just one?  
What will be the impact of using the FM on only one ear and not on the other ear? 
How will using the FM system in one ear and not using FM with the second ear impact his auditory access and comprehension? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Subbu

I prefer to deliver the same sound to both ears.  Can you describe the situations you wish to use the Roger System?  

Hi Beth, 

I am planning to use them at his school and when I take him to crowded places especially like mall, market etc. At home, I see him struggling to listen to us while home appliances are running (like blender, washing machine, television etc) . As I am from India, I see a lot of his time is spent in noisy environment. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Subbu

I am not sure how old your son is and how much he is able to report on sound quality at this time.

Rondo 2 needs to have link monitoring turned off to avoid a ticking sound when on MT or T.  That can only be done by our audiologists while our Rondo 2 processors are connected to their computers.  This would be needed if you were going to use the Roger Neckloop receiver which would send the audio to both Rondo 2 processors if they are on MT setting. There are several issues with using a neckloop receiver on young children.

1) processors on MT can have interference in some settings which sounds like buzzing- sometimes loud buzzing- so it is important that the user can report that and have the processor switched back to M in those settings

2) the volume level is influenced by the distance the neckloop is from the processor so as a child moves around the volume level can change between ears.  This can be somewhat avoided by sewing in small velcro strips on an undershirt and positioning the neckloop in those strips so it stays in place better.

Roger neckloop receiver would enable you to purchase one receiver and have the audio heard on both Rondo 2 processors.

Delivering audio from the Roger Touchscreen Mic to both ears is important with young children as we want their auditory system to learn to process sound bilaterally.

Thank you Beth for your detailed input.

Sorry I didn't put much info before. My son is 4 years old. Even though he can communicate his daily needs currently, I don't think he can communicate properly if there are issues like ticking sound, interference from his devices. Per your guidance, I am planning to go for option 1 FM set up (ie. mini battery pack with Roger X receiver and Roger pen transmitter) only. As mentioned above, considering your comment on downside of using 2 coils, I wanted to first try out with single FM system on one ear. If he accepts it, we do not want to much delay in buying the 2nd one for him. At the same time, I also wanted to know the technicalities behind using single FM system for a bilateral implantee. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Subbu

If possible I recommend the Roger touchscreen Mic instead of the Roger Pen.  The Roger Touchscreen Mic has more sophisticated  mic technology.  Personally I find it outperforms the Roger Pen by far in noise.

• 4 months later...

Hi Beth, 

I am still working on getting FM system for my son's Rondo2 implants.

Recently, I heard about Phonak Roger On transmitter.

https://www.phonak.com/in/en/hearing-aids/accessories/roger-on.html

This is being referred as advanced compared to Touchscreen mic. Please let me know your comments on Roger On if you have any. 

Also, my son is having magnet strength 2 in his processors. Will this reduced strength help with reducing interference if I choose neckloop as his FM system (or) if interference will be there irrespective of processor's magnet strength? Please clarify. 

With Best regards, 

Subbu

• HearPeers Heroes

Phonak Roger On is the new Roger transmitter.  It is sort of a combination of Roger Select and Roger Pen without the BT features.  It is getting good reviews from adults.

In school settings the Roger Touchscreen Mic is still most popular here.

Rondo 2 as a processor does not have an interference issue with using telecoil.  The Rondo 3 telecoil adapter has an interference issue with its built in BT receiver.

Any interference your child experiences being on MT will be electromagnetic interference with something in the location (electrical wiring, microwaves, etc) and that will occur no matter which magnet strength is being used as it is an issue with electromagnetic interference and telecoil.

EDIT: Rondo2 does not have an interference issue with telecoil as long as the audiologist turned off link monitoring in the MAP programs.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Subbu

Just remember that the audiologist must turn off link monitoring in the programs in Rondo 2 so no ticking sound is heard.  We learned that from @Joan