Do you hear what I hear ?

pdk

Do you hear what I hear ? My wife has tinitus, but she still hears my phone and the front door bell before I do.  So yesterday morning she tells me she can hear loud music from the kitchen, but not from the front garden. Logic says if you can hear it in the kitchen you will definitely hear it in the front garden.  I go to the kitchen and cannot hear any loud music. I go outside and can hear a hissing sound, quite loud, but no music.  I have 3 programs, the first is standard with all the bells and whistles to hear speech in noise etc. The third program has no noise suppression and the best dynamic range possible, so when I listen to music I do get some background hiss. I go outside again and the hissing has gone, I have no idea what it was,  but still no music  so I change to program 3 , and I hear loud music.  This morning sitting next to the upstairs window  I say to my wife, what a lot of chit chat form the birds in the tree just outside. My wife says she can't hear it, I say , but it's loud. Just then a larger bird with a medium frequency chirps , she says, now that's loud. To me it's just a small amount louder.  If I listen to jazz on the TV she complains it's so loud. When she listens to the Radio or TV for me it's way too loud. 

So do you hear what I hear?  

@pdkit sounds like (no pun intended) your programs have different volumes for different frequencies (pitches). You can try turning up the volume or sensitivity using the remote on one of your programs and see if the sounds are more like ‘normal’. I have used the app ‘FrequenSee’ to check the different pitches and have my Audi adjust my map according to what was too low or too high for a given pitch. It is hard to pinpoint exactly which pitch may need to be adjusted so if you use the app it helps. 

@pdkand @Mary Beth when I come across a sound that I think is too loud or too low I use the app to pinpoint the frequency so that I can tell the audiologist what band to adjust. This is a trick that used when I had a hearing aid and it helps quite a bit. 

hope this is useful information 

11 hours ago, Percy said:

@pdkit sounds like (no pun intended) your programs have different volumes for different frequencies (pitches). You can try turning up the volume or sensitivity using the remote on one of your programs and see if the sounds are more like ‘normal’. I have used the app ‘FrequenSee’ to check the different pitches and have my Audi adjust my map according to what was too low or too high for a given pitch. It is hard to pinpoint exactly which pitch may need to be adjusted so if you use the app it helps. 

Hi Percy

It's not a problem. That's how the different programs are supposed to work. I was trying to show how different our hearing with CI is from someone with normal hearing. My third program is pushing the limits of the cochlea to pass information without signals between electrodes overlapping. .

Also it shows how the well a normal person can handle volume.

10 hours ago, Percy said:

@pdkand @Mary Beth when I come across a sound that I think is too loud or too low I use the app to pinpoint the frequency so that I can tell the audiologist what band to adjust. This is a trick that used when I had a hearing aid and it helps quite a bit. 

hope this is useful information 

I used a program I downloaded on the PC to check the range of frequency I can hear. My mapping session checks for even volume for every band .

• 4 weeks later...