Rondo?

Matt

• HearPeers Heroes

It's a shame Med El is a bit slow with the photo's and publicity of the Rondo. So far it's FB and other sources with the most information.

540696_10200371172475621_50331506_n.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Adam

• Matt

• Sandy

• jpl2ci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sandy,

finally we have a Rondo amongst the forum. I can't wait to her your thoughts as I may even pay for one myself if it's good.

I am pretty sure that it only comes with disposable batteries at this time.

Same here, can't find out any prices yet, I'm surprised it's not available in chargeable battery yet unless they are working on it, might be awkward because of the shape (?)

• HearPeers Heroes

Was under the impession there werenot rechargeable batteries for RONDO. that is the first I've heard this will be an option.

leading up to something like this, there is always going to be rumor and speculation on the specifics.  just be careful of the source of your information and just try to be patient for the release before making any judgements on the product as I'm sure some of the information floating around the web is less than accurate.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

one more side note, as far as ALD's go. I use the smartlinx fm system from phonak to listen to music or talk on the phone. this works great for music as you attach two small boots to each of your processor (if bilateral)  and you can listen to music or talk on phone via bluetooth so you are not attatched to anthing or wires. I connect my ipod to the transmitter and set it on the counter in the kitchen and can do the dishes and clean listening to music with nothing attatched to me. pretty cool.

Adam

Adam,

Where can one order the smartlinx fm system from phonak that you use? I'm interested in it as I don't like cables/wires hanging from my head. The direct connect that came with my kit has a heavy and stiff cable that has a tendency to put the processor off my ear.

Sid

• HearPeers Heroes

Sid,

I have the Phonak smartlink sx. you can get it through your audie. It isnt cheap but worth the investment. I was at a seminar a few weeks ago and knew I was going to be sitting towards the back of the room so i asked the presenter whom I knew, to wear the transmitter. He actually wore it under his shirt so nobody saw it. I sat in the back of the room and it picked up everything he said and transmitted it directly to the boots attached to my processors. It sounded like he was talking directly into my ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, I am curious. I also have the Phonax Fm system. I purchased it with my hearing aid to be able to participate in meetings and conference calls. Is it compatible with the Med-el implant?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, you bet it is. I bought the recievers for me hearing aids. got the transmitter after I was implanted. the recievers plug into the bottom of your battery cover. (the one used for the direct connect cables)

works like a charm.

Hi Adam

What boots are you talking about?  I had phonak nadia and the FM receiver was attached as part of the battery compartment.  The last time I had boots was many years ago.  I didn't realise that Med-El has bluetooth as there is nothing in my information that preluded to that and the audiologist only spoke about the telecoil which is different to the FM system.  Do I need to buy extra boots? And most importantly where do you attach them on the processor?

Thanks

Karen

• HearPeers Heroes

Karen here is a picture of one of the receivers attached to the ALD battery cover.

post-48-14302598820786_thumb.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Karen,

Take a look at this picture. the middle picture is what I was talking about. the wireless reciever attaches to the bottom of the processor. the transmitter picks up the sound and sends it to the reciever.

http://www.medel.com/us/using-ald-examples-of-alds/

now that the Rondo is out in the US (launch April 10th), does anyone know if the Phonak FM boot can be used with it?  I heard you can plug in the DAI, so makes sense that we could.

Thanks Adam that was very helpful.  I have contacted my audiologist and hopefully we can sort all those gadgets out :)

K

RONDO was released yesterday in Tampa, FL. It is the world's first single unit audio processor. The microphone, transducer, batteries and magnet are all self-contained. You can see pics on MedEl's FB page. It is a way cool device.

Hi Laura, you can use Fm Systems with the RONDO while using the external battery pack. You can use the Da Capo rechargeable a, a AAA battery or A685p disposable batteries with the RONDO. If you use the first two options, the battery pack has a jack for the FM system. I hope this helps.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have the phonak FM boots as well. curious to se how all that works. My audie did not get any info on the rondo as far as a demo to show. Puzzling why some clinics get the stuff and others dont.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now (mostly) approved by my insurer for a CI at age 67, progressive loss, right ear (which is currently pretty worthless) and later, possibly bilaterally. My hospital audiologist has suggested a RONDO with an OPUS backup (I get 2 processors). Since I wear glasses and shift between my readers and my shades a lot, the RONDO sounds attractive. I don't care about how they look, but functionality and ease matters. Would you get the OPUS as a backup, or stay with the RONDO for both?

• HearPeers Heroes

Russ,

I wear glasses for a stigmatism. I end up taking off and putting on my glasses a number of times a day. I am bilaterally implanted and use the opus 2  processors on both sides. I have never had any issues at all with my glasses and the opus 2. Granted the rondo would be pretty neat but I don't think I would let the fact that you wear glasses stop you from possibly selecting  the opus 2 as a backup.

Adam

Russ, I still have my backup BTE in original package so I can do an even swap.  I have a demo set next week for Rondo & am getting one for the 90 trial, no doubt will keep for my back-up or when I want it's convenience, but I will keep my original Opus 2 BTE, too, because of the FM system connect.  Hopefully, the Rondo will get a direct port someday, and rechargeable battery.  It may get expensive ONLY having Rondo because you'll be changing out 3 Extra hi power button batteries every 5 days. Using Rondo with Mini Battery pack (for rechargeable battery) & cable defeats the ease of the Rondo.  Also, I'm not sure how I'll use my earhook headset with it, which I prefer over a neckloop for Iphone, Ipod, CD player & gym.  Can't wait!  I hope to also be able to put the Rondo in a baggie for waterproofing!  I wear glasses, too, so will enjoy having my ear free.

Also, I'm looking to see if I can carve a depression in motorcycle helmet, insert Rondo, then put helmet on to use Bluetooth FM communication unit with my husband (the driver).  I have had audiologist give me a lower volume program also, so I may not even need a comm system, as we have a quiet bike and this programming worked with my hearing aid prior.

• HearPeers Heroes

Also, I'm looking to see if I can carve a depression in motorcycle helmet, insert Rondo, then put helmet on to use Bluetooth FM communication unit with my husband (the driver).  I have had audiologist give me a lower volume program also, so I may not even need a comm system, as we have a quiet bike and this programming worked with my hearing aid prior.

Hi Laura,

I'm very interested to see what you come up with for your helmet. I don't wear my processor when riding but have been thinking of taking to the lid with a Dremel. What bike do you have that is quiet - remember, LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. Cool

Matt

• HearPeers Heroes

Might not be a bad idea to contact the manufacturer to see if they have any ideas. You wouldn't want to compromise the integrity of the helmet.

Hi Russ, I wear bilateral RONDOs and glasses.  NO ear hook pressure. soreness, cannot be overstated.  Now, I do wear my Opii (Opus plural) when exercising, doing yard work such as weeding. Since I also glow when exercising and live in TX, EarGears are an inexpensive wonderful remedy for keeping moisture at bay. However, when mowing, string trimming and blowing, I am without any hearing.  I am still waiting for someone to come up to me and tell me I could lose my hearing without proper protection. The RONDO can also use a mini battery pack so you can use rechargeable batteries, AAA or rechargeable AAA batteries.  If you use a FM system, the Opus has a longer battery pack cover with the appropriate port.  The mini battery pack for the RONDO also has a port.  Both of them are plug and play.  If like Laura, you use ear hooks, you shouldn't have any issues.  I use a Clear Sounds Quattro BT neck loop and love it. Good luck with your CI and say thanks to your audiologist!

I agree with John.  I used the Rondo for certain activities and it's a great option for social functions.  When wearing a hat, it covered the Rondo completely and didn't affect hearing too much, so no processor would be showing at all.  I use the Opus 2 for running and cycling though - the coil fits under my helmet a little easier.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Everyone, just an update. My activation was this past Monday and I am loving it.! A very emotional time for me. The voices do sound robotic but was told that this will change as my brain starts remembering the sounds. I can hear! And clearly too. I cannot tell you the last time I heard a whole sentence or didn't ask someone to repeat themselves. Some of the sounds, actually most of them are high pitched like a tweeting noise. Make sense? Yesterday I drove my car and did find out I still cannot hear the passenger at this time. I wanted to experience different sounds and opened the windows in the car, talked to people. It was great. I like the Rondo; it is very light and has a small clip for your hair for safety. I don't find it too large. Regarding the magnet, I need the strongest one as the second one is not strong enough. I hope it doesn't take too long for the robotic sounds and high pitches to disappear. This is definitely a plus to my life. Anyone have questions, let me know.