Rondo?

Matt

Hi, Sandy, you have just taken the first GIANT step towards your new hearing. Robotic Mickey and Minnie Mouse will go away as soon as you start listening to friends.  Listening to friends and relatives, aka a known auditory quantity, can really help because, although your brain is using a different area to process your new sounds, it still pulls from your stored memories. Does your magnet have three symbols on it or four?  If three you have what I use. You will probably get re-mapped several times in the first few months. I found that each map helped diminish unwanted ambient noise and helped clarity! Other forum members have suggested keeping a log of what you are experiencing so when you meet with your audiologist you will be able to illustrates the successes and issues. Thanks for sharingCool

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Adam

• Matt

• Sandy

• jpl2ci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations Sandy!!!!

And John, you are such a wonderful source of information and encouragement; I hope you stick around here a long time.

Lisa from NH

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks John and Lisa. My magnet has the three symbols. I go back to my audiologist on May 27. She told me that because I had to fly back to London, they wait a month. What do you mean by ambient noise? John, how long was it before you could hear on the telephone or the television? I have started to keep a journal so I don't forget things when I see my audiologist. She also gave me a couple of practice sessions to do at home with friends. So far there are two people I am having difficulty hearing. One, her voice is very soft and i cannot hear her unless she lowers the pitch of her voice and the other, her voice is very loud and she sounds very tweety or I read her lips. All of this is so fascinating.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy congratulations on getting activated! That has got to be very exciting for you. Usually when we lose our hearing, we lose the high frequencies first. When we are activated, the high frequencies are the first to come back. The issue is that our brain does not know how to interpret this new sound it has not heard in a very long time so it assigns it really unusal sounds like cartoon characters ect.

All of us have an automatic filter that our brain uses to block out the ambient noise that John reffered to. Ambient noise is background noise. like the refrigerator humming, desk top computer humming, flourescent lights. They all make noise. Our brains are very good at "ignoring" those sounds and concentrating on the important sounds. When we are first activated, we do not have that "filter" so we are bombarded with EVERY little noise we hear. For me it was pretty overwhelming at first but got MUCH better. It will just take your brain some time to sort out what sounds are important and what arent.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, thanks for clarifying that for me. This is very exciting. And I tried watching tv with the volume turned up tonight and it wasn't too bad. Robotic of course but I could actually get the gist of the conversation without the closed captions. A start. I never really had high frequencies. I remember in grade school having hearing tests and being told that I didn't hear them but way back then nothing was done. I believe I now have tinnitus as well. For the past couple of days I have had a continuous sound like a church bell. It seems to be more noticeable when I take off the Rondo. Hopefully it will be temporary.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy that is great!! The tv for me took a little while as did the phone and music. Voices went back to normal pretty quickly. freinds and family were the first to sound like they shoiuld. I have had tinnius for a very long time. Mine is like a high pitched test signal. I have it 24/7 but as you said when my processor is on It is hardly noticable. I know caffiene and lack of sleep can make it worse. talk to your audi and he/she should be able to give you some tips on how to lessen it.

Hi! My son has bilateral Rondos and loves them! He is in 4th grade. It's nice to have all the components in one single unit! I attached pix below of the side view and back view!

post-16-14302598830385_thumb.jpg

post-16-14302598832407_thumb.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Great pictures Patrice, pretty neat shirt as well. I assume he is really liking the Rondo?

Sandy, There is a magnet with four dots, but you shouldn't have to use it.  I was able to hear the telephone and TV after a fashion within a month or so of activation on my first implant.  My comprehension really took off when I was activated on my second implant.  I can talk on the phone and watch TV without an ALD but prefer to use my Quattro Bluetooth neck loop and close captioning for phone/TV use. I think it is fantastic that you are hearing so well so soon!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi John, thanks for the information. When I went for activation, I asked about a second implant. Currently, our health care system only allows for one implant for adults but does allow two for children. I was told they are working to try to change this. Unfortunately, wearing a HA will probably not be an option as the hearing in my right ear is too far gone. The CI., even after only one week, has made a world of difference and will only get better as my brain catches up. The sounds are still very high pitched and voices Minnie an Mickey Mouse but they are so clear that there is only the odd time I need to ask someone to repeat what they said.

I'm weighing the Rondo vs. my new Opus 2.

Rondo's Pros:

Single unit.

Bluetooth Compatible

Same Battery life (per Peer)

Rondo's Cons:

No rechargeable battery

Accessories require remote battery pack that is wired to Rondo

Size - bulky

Weight

Maximum Magnet power

Opus 2 Pro's

Lightweight

Rechargeable batteries

Small and Standard battery pack

Convenient Ear hook

Wired & Wireless Accessories

Bluetooth Compatible

Cons:

Separate Coil & Processor

Coil Wired to processor

My opinion is, since I have been wearing hearing aids for over 20 years and do not even notice the processor hanging on my ear, I find the Opus 2 with the D-coil more comfortable, less noticeable and more accessory-friendly than the Rondo.

Now I have not tried the Rondo yet, but I will.  My audiologist said I will need a stronger battery than Rondo delivers.  My big decision maker will be the sound quality.  If I find it better than the Opus 2, I may go with the Rondo and keep the Opus 2 as my backup.

Having to use a separate remote wired battery supply to use accessories, with Rondo, seems a little inconvenient to me.  Just my 2¢.

• HearPeers Heroes

from what I understand, the sound quality should be the same as the sound coding strategy plus all the "guts" or internal working parts are the same for both. just packaged a little differently

For all those interested in the shirt, we all received one when we participated in the Walk4Hearing last October. We wear them proudly! :) My son has both Opus 2 processors and Rondos. He is very happy with both. He really prefers the Rondos for the simple reason that there is nothing on his ears. He is very active in sports and we live in the South. We deal with sweat and humidity issues often. He wore Eargear every day with the Opus 2 processors. They were wonderful! I had to wash them out every night and let them air dry. With the Rondos, we're not dealing with a sweat issue. The bottom of the processor that is in contact with his scalp is the only area that is wet after a game. In general, Jonathan reports that the sound quality is a little different, possibly due to the change in the positioning of the microphone. Both processors are great! It really depends on your personal preference of features.

• HearPeers Heroes

Patrice, Thanks a bunch for your input. Thats really good to hear about the sweat issue as I know a lot of people deal with it. Including me. I live in South cArolina.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone i have posted on another link about the Rondo,i am due to have my initial activation tomorrow May 23rd and i am using the Rondo for a month as a trial,i have had the device for the past 2 weeks to get accustomed to it.It is much lighter and smaller than i expected and although i have no problem with the look, if anyone is concerned you would just need to grow your hair a bit longer,(sorry if you are bald) as someone else has stated it comes with a retaining clip which i have found is sufficient to clip to your hair and if the device came away it would not drop to the floor.The only issue i have at the moment and i will sort it out tomorrow my Rondo came with 3 magnets of different strengths and also with protective covers i have found that with the cover on the 3 strength magnet is not enough to be confident in it staying in place,therefore i will ask for the strength 4 magnet to eleviate that problem.I have been told it does vary from person to person,i would imagine a younger person with smooth skin would not have that problem but a 59 year old becoming a bit of a wrinkly needs a the  stronger magnet.Anyway i will post the results of my activation tomorrow fingers crossed all will go well

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Terry,

I'm excited for you as well and looking forward to your views on the RONDO.

Matt

• HearPeers Heroes

Terry that is pretty exciting! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Terry, good luck tomorrow. I'm sure all will go well. I go for my second mapping next week and have been keeping a diary of things I need to discuss with my audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

Terry, We are super excited for you!! please let us know how things go tomorrow

My activation day left me astounded at the clarity of what i was hearing straight away it has well exceeded my expectations.My audi said it will only get better from now on so after a fairly uncomfortable start to the year with a cancer operation that postponed my CI it looks blue skies at the moment.I really cant thank the staff at my centre enough for,not only their professional help but also the kindness that they have showed towards not just me but other patients i have seen being treated,they certainly go further then they job expects of them with their support.Also i like to thank all those that have sent their good wishes over the forums and wish you all well and i intent to be an active contributor through out my hearing experience as i feel that what we all go through is going to be beneficial to others,i wish you all good health

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Terry,

great news about your activation. Looking forward to seeing how the next couple of programming sessions go.

Matt

• HearPeers Heroes

Terry, that is so awesome!!! If you thinik it is good now, just give it a few months.Laughing