New CI recipient

RRG

Hello,

New member here. I have SSD due to an acoustic neuroma removal earlier this year. The Dr tried to save what useful hearing I had left, using the middle fossa approach. I lost all hearing in my right ear and my bad tinnitus got a lot worse. The CI was a roll of the dice. There was no way of knowing in advance if it would work. The successful activation yesterday was a very emotional experience! Tinnitus is still there, but the CI takes the edge off and expect things to improve over time 

I was fitted with the Rondo 3. I opted for the off the ear style as I struggle with wearing glasses and face mask while wearing an over the ear hearing aid (phonak).

I'm using the 5 diamond magnet and it feels a bit loose. I saw some great suggestions on this site which I'll try. Lots of helpful and supportive members here. I hope to contribute and add value.

I had my procedure done at Duke Raleigh hospital in NC. The quality of care and staff was top notch. I'm very happy I went with them. I go back in 1 month for my first follow up.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome! So glad your activation went well, that's a great start. I also am SSD and have had great results from a CI. I hope your next few weeks go well too. 

@RRGWelcome. I'm very happy to read that your activation went well. I am a couple of months ahead of you. Re: your comment on magnets. I started on #4 and lived in daily fear my Rondo would fall off. My first post activation sessions were two weeks and four weeks after activation. At each session my magnet strength was reduced by one so now I am on #2. My Rondo always feels to be very lightly attached but it stays in position unless I do something to knock it off, (like removing my sweater or putting on a jacket without leaving enough head room).

Yo! Im so glad you have results and joined the bionic hearing club! I have had same experience, but i never thought my magnet was too strong but my audi changed it to i think 2 or 1, i have a sonnet over the ear with an ear mold so it stays on great. Of course it does come off occasionally from changing clothes, but it is very comfortable.  Welcome and please ask questins here!

Thanks all for the warm welcome and feedback. I'm happy to be a member of the bionic hearing club :)

I read some posts about rotating the Rondo to the 9 and 3 position when putting it on. That seems to help. I saw another post about the magnetic strength being weaker in the morning when taking the device off the charger, and getting stronger during the day. That seems to be the case for me, and will try putting the charging pad on a timer outlet to turn the power off early in the AM. I'll post back my observations.  

• 7 months later...

Hello,

It's been a while since I posted an update. I'm still making progress with aural rehab at home and working with a therapist at Duke. I am now using the # 2 diamond magnet and the Rondo 3 stays comfortably attached . My next mapping is on Sept 21. Med-El will have one of their audiologists attend. My situation is atypical as I had an acoustic neuroma which caused some damage to the nerve, plus trauma from the surgery where I lost all hearing. Their audiologist may have some mapping recommendations we can try.  Rehab is still a lot of work and I'm pleased with my progress so far. Hearing in background noise is still a big struggle while direct streaming audio, such as Ted Talks, I do very well. Hearing fatigue is still a very real thing.

I find the circle of people around me forget my challenges, get impatient and frustrated with being asked to repeat themselves etc. I see value in meeting up with other members in the Raleigh NC area that would be interested in working on rehab, conversation/listening practice, share experiences/tips etc in a supportive environment. Perhaps at a Starbucks outdoor patio? I'll start a new thread to see if there is any interest in forming a local support group.

Regards,

Rolf

• HearPeers Heroes

@RRG

I enjoy meeting up in person with other Med-El CI users too.  I hope you get a good response.  Think about asking Taylor to share your meet up info with other Med-El CI users in your area.  Also share with your CI audiologist and ask her to pass along to others.

We have @Heather W  and @Shiyi Wang and I am sure many more in the Raleigh area on HPs.