Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss / Single Sided Deafness Awaiting CI Surgery Scheduling

SSD Doug

Hi Everyone, 

Good to find a place where most can actually empathize with deafness - for context, the ER doc I saw within hours of losing my hearing commented, "I understand you've suffered idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss, I'm sorry to hear that." To which I responded, "You're gonna need to work on your comedic timing doc." 

At any rate, it's been 13 weeks since I lost my hearing and I'm in queue to schedule my CI surgery. After many nights falling asleep to various YouTube videos and reading all the information provided by Med El and Cochlear, I was hoping y'all might be able to give some insights as to which I should go with. I'm struggling with deciding since my doctor tells me that I should go with Med El given the longer electrode array but everything the audiologist told me in terms of ease of use points towards Cochlear. I'm fully aware this is a Med El sponsored forum but figured I'd ask.

Would appreciate any feedback. 

Thanks!
Doug

• HearPeers Heroes

@SSD Doug

Welcome to HearPeers Doug.  I am sorry about your sudden hearing loss. We have several active HP members who also experienced sudden hearing loss and several single sided deaf with CI HP members too.  I’ll tag @Kylie to get things started.

Choosing CI brand was such an odd experience.  Armed with binders of information from each brand and searching online to try to find objective information comparing the brands seemed so surreal.  I chose Med-El for their electrode arrays and I am thrilled with the hearing these CIs have given me.  I’ve been asked several times by various people to share my CI story online.  I have gathered up these public links and you are welcome to ask any questions you may have.

Wishing you the very best!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @SSD Doug!

I was not given this difficult choice as my hospital in Australia only implants with Med-el. I do not envy you all this research and decision-making!  I cannot offer any advice about making this decision as I have only experienced Med-el, but I am very happy with my results. 2 years in and I have great hearing now, it has really improved my life in every way. I would however think about the fact that the internal parts are not generally replaced or upgraded so you want the best electrode array possible. Then for the external parts they do get upgraded over time so benefit from improved technology with all companies focusing on whatever aspects they do. They all have different gadgets and connectivity options so I guess you're wading through those details, which are also important. Good luck!!

• Like 2

I was just implanted last week. I chose Med El for the electrode itself. The outer parts are always changing and upgrading. I found implants to be similar to hearing aids in that if I could combine all the companies together I would have a near perfect hearing aid (implant). The internal parts are the most important as these will be in for a long long time. Backward compatibility is important as well as history of implant failures. I chose Med El for the benefits of the longer electrode and the hope that I can have some music perception with rehab. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the input - I went through implantation surgery day before yesterday (2/25) and was implanted with the Med-El Synchrony 2 Flex 28 array.

I'm experience fluctuating volumes of tinnitus/static on the implant side - sounds like whooshing like a waterfall. Is this normal post op and will it subside once I receive my processor?

• HearPeers Heroes

@SSD Doug

The range of what’s “normal” after surgery is quite large.  Everyone’s experience varies.

Congratulations on your flex28.  

When is your activation?

• HearPeers Heroes

@SSD Doug

As someone who started off hearing only static and beeps in my right ear at activation and only marimba in my left ear, I can tell you that activation is merely our starting points.  Things get so so much better.  Aural rehab helped me a lot.  Check out our rehab topic.

5 hours ago, SSD Doug said:

I'm experience fluctuating volumes of tinnitus/static on the implant side - sounds like whooshing like a waterfall. Is this normal post op and will it subside once I receive my processor

I had this exact same experience that lasted for a few days after surgery--whooshing like a waterfall is a great description. After a few days, it normalized to my "normal roar" tinnitus level, but without an intermittent twinging tinnitus layer that I'd been experiencing for years (the surgery seems to have stopped this mostly). My theory was that the whooshing sound was caused by inflation that naturally occurs after surgery. I tried to eat a lot of anti-inflammatory food (e.g. high-fiber, ginger, etc.), which may or may not have helped 🙂. After activation (Feb 17), I haven't experienced tinnitus in that ear when the implant is turned on (though it reverts to my normal level at night). Oh, and I also have the Flex 28, which has been working really well for me in the limited time since activation (obviously not perfect, but I'm really happy to rejoin society after a couple years of deafness--I didn't have sudden loss, but I also didn't have a long, gradual loss as I lost my hearing relatively quickly over a five year period after having normal hearing for 35+ years).

• Like 2