Update

Roy K.

3 hours ago, StarStuff said:

Just checked back on this thread to see if anyone had any updates on mixing ratio. From what I can tell, it's still not an option. Getting really disappointed with MedEl for still not having addressed this extremely critical patient need and frequent complaint. C'mon MedEl engineers, let's go! We're tired of waiting for something that should have been a no-brainer.

I encourage everyone to step up their requests and be a little more firm candid with their disappointment. This has gone on long enough.

I agree totally and I’m sure many people have the same feeling the ability and option to control mixing ratio is vital and should be one of the basic functions with Audiostream!

I have written and mentioned this many times directly to MedEl.

Hopefully soon!

• HearPeers Heroes

I am very interested in user controlled mixing ratios with AudioStream, including a 100/0 option of streamed audio only.  I have shared my strong desire with Med-El as well.

@StarStuff  you can edit your post above and tag @MED-EL Moderator to be sure they see your post.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, thank you for your question. We are aware of this issue and your request regarding the user-controlled mixing ratios with AudioStream. Unfortunately, providing this request in the current AudioStream will not be possible.

Thank you for your feedback. It is very important to us and will be used for improvements in future products.

Kind regards,

Gordana

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator Gordana 

Thank you for passing along our wish for user controlled mixing ratios for direct BTLE streaming in the future.  And for letting us know that such a feature can not be added to the present version of AudioStream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MED-EL Moderator Gordana said:

Hi everyone, thank you for your question. We are aware of this issue and your request regarding the user-controlled mixing ratios with AudioStream. Unfortunately, providing this request in the current AudioStream will not be possible.

Thank you for your feedback. It is very important to us and will be used for improvements in future products.

Kind regards,

Gordana

Well, at least we have an answer. It's too bad better user testing and CX wasn't incorporated into the product design. At this point, my AudioStream sits unused in my bedside drawer. I do not take it traveling with me (planes, trains airports, buses, etc. all have too much ambient noise). With the inability to control mic mixing, I know it will be unusable in any situation other than pure silence. I'm not alone.

When/if this issue is remedied on future AudioStreams, I hope to have the option to leave it with its current mixing ratio.  I don’t always want to blank out all ambient sounds.  A person with normal hearing would have the ambient sound when making a phone call or listening to music, unless using earbuds.  Cutting out all ambient sound would make me feel a little unsafe in some environments.  I want to be able to hear what is going on around me. 
I love the AudioStreams.  Gratitude is  what I feel for all of this technology. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen T

Good points.  Giving users the control over mixing ratios would not eliminate the 50/50 mix ratio that is presently used.  It would just give users the ability to move into other mixing ratios as desired.  Glad you are loving your AudioStreams.  They are quite impressive.

@StarStuff

Forgive me if I already made this suggestion before.  I can’t remember if we discussed it.  As a work around to the 50/50 default mix ratio with AudioStreams, I worked with my audiologist to create another MAP specifically for when I want to dampen the Sonnet/Sonnet2 mics and hear mostly streamed sound with AudioStreams.  This is in a program slot.  I just move into that program slot when I want to dampen my mics as much as possible.  For me the magic settings are….

MAP sensitivity set at 0%
MAP volume set at 70-100%
iPhone volume set at high

I move into this program and via the remote decrease the volume on my Sonnet/Sonnet2 all the way down to the lowest possible (70%).  Then I set my iPhone on max volume and stream.  For me I then need to slightly increase my Sonnet/Sonnet2 volume so the streaming volume is good.  So I probably am using 75% volume in my program.  When I return for a MAPping I will try having that program set at 75-100% and have it default at 75% so it will be all ready when I just switch into it and there will be no need to tweak it with the remote… just move my iPhone to max volume.

It’s my work around when I want to knock out environmental sounds.  They are very very quiet.  I can’t understand anything someone says.  Too quiet for that.  But not absolute silence.

I hope you find a work around that is right for you.  I love AudioStreams and am so happy Med-El has direct BTLE streaming as an option now.  

36 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Karen T

Good points.  Giving users the control over mixing ratios would not eliminate the 50/50 mix ratio that is presently used.  It would just give users the ability to move into other mixing ratios as desired.  Glad you are loving your AudioStreams.  They are quite impressive.

@StarStuff

Forgive me if I already made this suggestion before.  I can’t remember if we discussed it.  As a work around to the 50/50 default mix ratio with AudioStreams, I worked with my audiologist to create another MAP specifically for when I want to dampen the Sonnet/Sonnet2 mics and hear mostly streamed sound with AudioStreams.  This is in a program slot.  I just move into that program slot when I want to dampen my mics as much as possible.  For me the magic settings are….

MAP sensitivity set at 0%
MAP volume set at 70-100%
iPhone volume set at high

I move into this program and via the remote decrease the volume on my Sonnet/Sonnet2 all the way down to the lowest possible (70%).  Then I set my iPhone on max volume and stream.  For me I then need to slightly increase my Sonnet/Sonnet2 volume so the streaming volume is good.  So I probably am using 75% volume in my program.  When I return for a MAPping I will try having that program set at 75-100% and have it default at 75% so it will be all ready when I just switch into it and there will be no need to tweak it with the remote… just move my iPhone to max volume.

It’s my work around when I want to knock out environmental sounds.  They are very very quiet.  I can’t understand anything someone says.  Too quiet for that.  But not absolute silence.

I hope you find a work around that is right for you.  I love AudioStreams and am so happy Med-El has direct BTLE streaming as an option now.  

Thanks Mary Beth. I always appreciate your helpfulness! We did actually discuss this at some point in the past year, and I even went to my audiologist to make a map for specifically for AudioStream. For whatever reason, adjusting mic sensitivity does not effect my app. I don't know if this is a technical problem with my processor or simply a result of my particular map settings, but adjusting sensitivity, whether in the map settings or the FineTuner remote, has only ever produced marginal changes in listening experience. My audiologist said this is common in her experience.

My workaround has been just to cover the mics with a piece of scotch tape. It completely knocks out sound (I think it tricks the mics into turning themselves off) and has the added benefit of protecting them from sweat during a workout). This is too much hassle in many situations, but it does work good for the gym or a long flight.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@StarStuff

The remote settings for sensitivity do not have an effect for me either BUT the combination of having my audiologist fix the sensitivity to 0% with extending the volume range down to 70% (before it was at 80%) did have a huge impact on blocking out the environmental sounds a great deal.  But that may not work for everyone.

• Like 2