One month after activation and still no sound

jahcpa

• HearPeers Heroes

Let me know if you participate. I am curious about that concept of using images to determine electrode activity.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth,

I am surprised you did not have CT scans before your surgeries. Usually a pre surgery requirement. Checks the cochlear for any abnormalties like possible ossification, dysplasia or aqueduct growth.

• HearPeers Heroes

It seems that CT only, MRI only or both CT and MRI is doctor preference.

Interesting read about that:

http://www.enttoday.org/article/the-mri-ct-faceoff-in-pre-operative-coclear-implant-staging/6/?singlepage=1

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth - excellent article... Very interesting! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

As Ivana stated, it does take time and a lot of practice. Sometimes slow in the beginning then at least for me, sounds started to come a little quicker. Stay in touch with the MEDEL rep and your Audi and take very good notes on what is heard, where, what it sounds like.....this will really help in mappings

• 5 years later...

Hi, I am going for a ci in February I had 80%hearing in my left ear up to 4 years ago when my hearing started to come and go 3 to 4 months on and off with chronic tinnitus that seemed to drown out my hearing, my hearing in my right ear has been fading with about 20 years and now I have about 20% hearing with a HA and about 50% in my left with a HA, I find the hearing aids make my tinnitus a lot worse, is this normal, I hope a ci will improve my right ear hearing because my left ear is fading fast, any information would be great fully appreciate many thanks for reading this.

regards Paudie 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Paudie shea

Wishing you the best on your CI journey!  Which processor did you choose?

My tinnitus is not noticeable when I wear my processors and when I remove them at night, it is much quieter.

Thank you Mary Beth I'm getting it through NHS in Beaumont Hospital in Dublin. Did you have bad tinnitus as well before getting fitted with CI ?. My hearing is so unpredictable one day it's fine the next it's gone I'm wounder could it be a blockage in the middle ear or something like it I don't know.

Regards Paudie

• HearPeers Heroes

@Paudie shea

I have had tinnitus in both ears since my early teens.  As my hearing loss progressed it became louder and louder.  After surgery in my right ear to treat menieres, the right side tinnitus stayed very loud.

24 years later it was implanted and although I experienced loud tinnitus at times early on after activation when I removed the processor at night, it has since quieted down.  I do not notice any tinnitus when my processors are on.  I hope you are as fortunate.

• Like 1