Design covers thankful the DL covers are sold individually in the US

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I love my CIs and love talking about them when people ask.  I have not used design covers only because my hair makes the DL coils difficult to see.

Now that I am going to be temporarily losing my hair, I took the opportunity to purchase DL design covers!  They will make my CIs look so cool!

I am thankful that the Med-El US shop allows us to purchase DL covers individually.  This let me choose 3 different design covers and order 2 of each since I am bilateral.

Unfortunately, the Med-El US shop does not allow us to purchase Rondo 2 nor Rondo 3 covers individually.  They are more expensive than DL covers and also only offered in sets of 4 identical covers.  It would’ve been very expensive to get 3 different designs if I used Rondo 2 or Rondo 3.  I hope in the future Med-El US will offer those design covers individually so we can change up our look at a much lower cost.

@MED-EL Moderator

@Mary Beth I just discovered the same thing yesterday, but noticed that the Rondo 3 product catalog does have part numbers for single covers. I wonder if this is an inadvertent omission from the webshop?  I have also been looking at options for stickers/skins on Etsy.

image.png.c5c0e3f75bde6bf30c76199648e3484b.png

https://medel.canto.global/direct/v/brand/document/5bsvpgre812871eghcekh1bd79/BJaNGR_1tyZsCCTHkgDRonhZFF0/original?content-type=application%2Fpdf&name=27762CE_r3_0-rondo3ProductCatalogueBR-WEB.pdf

• HearPeers Heroes

@AnnetteT

I also saw mixed cover packs in the product catalog but Med-El US does not seem to offer them.

@Mary BethWhich pattern did you choose?  My hair also covers my coils but I treated myself to just one (leopard pattern) to celebrate activation of my 2nd CI.  Even though no one else can see it, I find it helps me quickly select the appropriate processor for each ear (I need all the help I can get before morning coffee).

I wear Sonnet2 but I agree that users should be able to buy covers individually, regardless of whether they are for Sonnet or Rondo.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lynda!

Good strategy!  I have a very small sticker on the inside of both Sonnets (the part that faces my head).  Red for right side, blue for left side.  That’s how I tell them apart each morning.  But now that I have ordered design DL-covers, all bets are off!

I like a lot of the design patterns.  I wish the summer themed special one with the boat and the gingerbread cookie were available to order but they were contest prizes only I believe. 

I ordered the cute green monster because every time I see that cover it makes me smile.  The coral cover because I LOVE the ocean and it also reminds me of quilting.  And the oriental flower cover because it reminds me of a mandala and I can use all the serenity and peace I can get at the moment.  Smile.

There were many more that I liked.  The strawberry pattern would be cool because I love to make strawberry jam each year.  The zebra pattern would be cool because we just welcomed two kittens (littermates) to our home and they are black and white.

If I remain bald for long, I will need to expand my design cover collection!

• Like 2

Hello everybody,

thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts about this topic.

Product availability and pricing varies by market, so we've forwarded your feedback to our colleagues in the US and they'll discuss it within their team. 

Kind Regards, Giulia

• Like 2

Hi! I have shopped a few times, found some covers in uk, or at least the price was in # ( lol)

Mb, after chelle lost her hair, we took a trip to antigua. After 6 days swimming, she had a 5 oclock shadow! It gre back just as curly and wavy as before!!

I did get some tye dye stickers that are cute. I love finding folks pictures!

• HearPeers Heroes

Perfect to find a silver lining in losing hair ☺️. You'll be rocking those bright covers!

• 1 month later...

I emailed MedEl about this issue this morning at 9:25, it is almost 2:00 and still have no response. I just now came on here to see if anybody else has complained. Here is part of email (I had other complaints also);

I need to order more covers for my Rondo 3. Is there a way to do a mix and match with the covers? I would like to get a design cover, but HATE to think I am stuck with that look for entire year. I have asked on the phone before, but as usual I never seem to talk to anybody who is particularly helpful and got the answer "that's how they are packaged". If that was me as a customer service rep, I would at least say "I can check into that". I can see that it would be easier on MedEl's end to do this, but for those of us stuck with this option in real life, it isn't much fun. Packages CAN be opened and covers CAN be taken in and out of those packages. Having a mix and match option would make purchasing these EXPENSIVE covers so much easier. I currently have the Oriental Flower design and I am so sick of the same look. So then my option is to buy a plain colored one, which thinking of THAT same look for an entire year isn't exactly exciting. It seems that for every other type of processor, those people have the option of using skins....which would be amazing to use to change the look of these covers. But, for the Rondo 3 we are told not to use those. If money was vastly available to me, I could order TWO different styles....but that would be just TWO different looks I could change back and forth for an entire TWO YEARS. That still doesn't sound good. And well, buying 3 years worth just sounds ridiculous and I don't have the money anyway. So if this isn't something that MedEl can possibly do (mix and match), then maybe getting a skin approved would be helpful. Part of me wonders if anybody has actually determined that a skin would cause less performance OR if it was just easier to say "it's not recommended". But for someone like me who is still struggling to hear, I can't possibly bring myself to putting a skin on there and making it harder on myself. 

I will update if I hear back. 

So here is the answer I received (putting this here so if anybody is doing a search about this like I did, but I am also guessing it will get removed...but here it is for now);

"Thank You so much for taking the time to give me your feedback about the RONDO 3 covers. I am going to forward your feedback to our Headquarters who handles feedback from our customers. The packaging for the RONDO 3 covers is pre-package with four covers in the package. The product control department can not open the packages to mix and match for a request. I apologize that this request can not be honored. Only one cover to an order."

They never addressed my question about using a skin. They also didn't answer my question about the pricing for the mini battery pack for the Rondo 3 OR if they ever give a coupon code. I asked on here when I first received my processor if they ever give out coupon codes and it was crickets, so I assume they've never had one. I wish they would take that off the ordering screen because it basically is just teasing us....or at least that's how I feel. I see people saying good things about MedEl in some of my FB private groups. I don't understand how. I have never once had anybody call me just to see how things are going with it. You would think a couple weeks after receiving that big backpack of gear at least somebody would do a courtesy call. Whenever *I* have called with questions I have never spoken with anybody who is particular helpful or nice. They are very short and matter-of-fact. I'm happy that others have had a great experience, but I have had far from that. I usually don't post in those FB groups, but I definitely will be posting to all of them sometime so that the the people that get on there asking which company to go with they can make an informed decision. I feel bad for the young children who are stuck with just 1 design per year. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jiji

Have you reached out to your area Med-El US Consumer Engagement Manager yet?  They interact with us and provide help as needed.  They are regional.

My experience with Med-El US has been very positive.  I have interacted with many different Med-El US employees and have received great customer service.  I am sorry your experience has not been as positive.

Med-El global lists combination Rondo cover packs in their product guide.  It seems that Med-El US does not stock those.  I wish they did.

Hi, i do believe medel is changing alot of things lately. I had been given a rep before surgery to select options. She did send me a couple email's to check up on me, then suddenly my rep contact changed and now i have service contacts only.

Im sure the changes are streamlining service and hopefully settle down im sure with volume of implants has increased drastically, the company needs to re group

6 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jiji

Have you reached out to your area Med-El US Consumer Engagement Manager yet?  They interact with us and provide help as needed.  They are regional.

My experience with Med-El US has been very positive.  I have interacted with many different Med-El US employees and have received great customer service.  I am sorry your experience has not been as positive.

Med-El global lists combination Rondo cover packs in their product guide.  It seems that Med-El US does not stock those.  I wish they did.

I have never heard of a consumer engagement manager. I've never gotten any emails checking on how things are going either and have never been given a name of a person and how to contact them. The only thing I received was their toll free number to what I assume is there US headquarters. I have had my processor since Feb of 2021 and still haven't figured out how to connect to bluetooth. I ended up so frustrated that I gave up. I also called once asking how to stream from a smart tv and and got nowhere with that as well. Last August I called them because of my frustration with the sound and was actually crying because I was so tired of it. I believe I was connected to an audiologist (maybe it wasn't an actual audi, but I was under the impression at the time it was) who pretty much belittled me and was condescending. I honestly don't even have the desire to stream from the tv or connect to bluetooth anymore because it is such a sore subject for me. And then on top of everything else I am forced to buy 1 year's worth of the same cover which seems ridiculous and petty to even complain about, but it stinks.  I am happy for those of you who have had positive experiences, but from where I am standing the customer service is non-existent.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jiji

I hear your frustration.  Here is a link to a new Med-El US offering that assists us with connectivity as well as other things.  We have to register but it is free.  I attended the one on AudioStream last month and thought it was very helpful.

https://web.cvent.com/event/ddc1c880-841f-4762-bea5-4d7ac814b955/summary

• HearPeers Heroes

And here is a link to a way we help each other during our monthly GoogleMeet video chats.  If you wish to join in, just follow this link and reply on that topic so you receive an invitation link.

@Jiji

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jiji

I just sent you a HearPeer private mail message.  Go to the top right menu and select the envelope icon.

Hi jiji, wow, im sorry the bt has not worked for you yet, what phone do you have? With the manual, ive been able to bt since activation. Do you have a laptop or tablet?  I struggle sometimes because our internet is weak in the country area i live in. I sure hope you can find a way to resolve your issues, perhaps at your next audi appointment they can test your bt on their internet?

On 4/12/2022 at 10:43 AM, Jiji said:

So here is the answer I received (putting this here so if anybody is doing a search about this like I did, but I am also guessing it will get removed...but here it is for now);

"Thank You so much for taking the time to give me your feedback about the RONDO 3 covers. I am going to forward your feedback to our Headquarters who handles feedback from our customers. The packaging for the RONDO 3 covers is pre-package with four covers in the package. The product control department can not open the packages to mix and match for a request. I apologize that this request can not be honored. Only one cover to an order."

They never addressed my question about using a skin. They also didn't answer my question about the pricing for the mini battery pack for the Rondo 3 OR if they ever give a coupon code. I asked on here when I first received my processor if they ever give out coupon codes and it was crickets, so I assume they've never had one. I wish they would take that off the ordering screen because it basically is just teasing us....or at least that's how I feel. I see people saying good things about MedEl in some of my FB private groups. I don't understand how. I have never once had anybody call me just to see how things are going with it. You would think a couple weeks after receiving that big backpack of gear at least somebody would do a courtesy call. Whenever *I* have called with questions I have never spoken with anybody who is particular helpful or nice. They are very short and matter-of-fact. I'm happy that others have had a great experience, but I have had far from that. I usually don't post in those FB groups, but I definitely will be posting to all of them sometime so that the the people that get on there asking which company to go with they can make an informed decision. I feel bad for the young children who are stuck with just 1 design per year. 

Hi, you can get stickers on etsy. I did, and loved them, but then i changed stuff out so i need more.