Hospital/Surgery with CI suggestions

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Being able to hear with our CIs when we need surgery or a hospital stay is very helpful!  But how do we keep our processors safe?  I am interested in your ideas.

Since getting my first CI, I have had several surgeries.  The first surgery after my initial CI was my bilateral CI surgery.  Smile.  No worries about keeping my CI processor safe as my CI surgeon was performing the surgery.  Smile.  She removed my CI processor after I was under anesthesia and then put it back on me before the recovery room.

For my bilateral cataract surgeries I chose to wear my Rondos in their waterwear covers during surgery, all under a nammucap to keep them safe and secure.  This was very helpful as there was so much to hear and respond to in the operating room prior to the surgery starting.  It worked great.  Since the entire process was short, the silver oxide batteries worked great.  They last 12 hours on my Rondos.  (Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 users just keep using their built in rechargeable batteries while in waterwear.)

Nammucap info here 

https://www.nammuhats.com/product-category/classic-nammu-hats/

For my upcoming surgery I am taking some extra precautions.  My surgeon will remove my processors and put them back on before recovery but this time she is not my CI surgeon so making this process as easy as possible is more important.  I am going to use my Rondos but not in waterwear because this day will be too long for those silver oxide batteries.  I am marking each Rondo with my name, phone number and LEFT/RIGHT.  I have these great stickers….

https://www.kiddotags.com/mini-slim-clothing-tags.html

I use them to mark my dry kit, CI travel case, battery charger, etc.

I will wear either the sports headband or a nammucap to help keep my Rondos safe.  Too much metal around not to have them secured.

I will bring along a travel case to keep the Rondos safe during surgery.  That case will be marked as well.

And my spouse will check with the surgeon after surgery when she gets my report to ensure the Rondos were put back on my head.

Packing extra batteries just in case.  Smile

Have you faced surgery/hospital stay with your CI processors?  Any tips?

This looks like a really well-thought out plan! Maybe your spouse might also be able to hang onto your Sonnets as backup in case the Rondos are temporarily inaccessible (e.g. locked in a safe/storage locker)?

Your surgeon is likely the best bet for getting your processors off and on as everyone else in the room (nurses, circulators, anesthesia, etc) all come and go and are given breaks. The same people might not be there for the start and finish depending on time of day and length of surgery. Your surgeon is the only one that doesn’t get relieved for a break. The only issue would be if your surgeon is there when they put you to sleep and wake you up. They should be but it doesn’t always happen, especially in a teaching hospital with residents where the attending might leave after surgery is complete but before you wake up. 

Extra processors with your Spouse is a good idea and go over the plan again with your surgeon when they come to see you in the pre op area before surgery. 

I've had 12 surgeries and have had no issues getting my ears and glasses taken care of. When going through the preparation questions before, just mention it to your care team and they'll note it on your chart. 50-50 they'll wheel you into the OR and let you place your things into the case(s) or they'll ask you to show them how to take them off. I just mention to them that I can see nothing without my glasses and hear nothing without my ears and every time it went on my chart and we hashed out a plan for who was doing what and they made it clear where and how my stuff would be safeguarded. Then the nurses in recovery have always handed them to me one at a time and/or assisted me with putting them back on.

If its on your chart they'll follow it to a T. They're always good about accommodating patient's needs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Jason77 @Lauren @AnnetteT

It worked out great.  Everyone was very accommodating and it was a great opportunity to educate about cochlear implants.

In the end I chose to wear my Rondo processors and the sportsband.  I just wore the sportsband over the Rondos and did not use the pockets.  The anesthesiologist learned how they worked and we opted to leave them on during surgery to help with waking up from anesthesia as hearing responds first.  They helped me reposition the right Rondo so it was back in the correct position after I woke up.  Very helpful team.

It was reassuring to hear everyone in the operating room and also in recovery.

I am always so grateful for the hearing my CIs provide everyday.  I am even more grateful during this cancer journey.  It is so nice to just hear and understand everyone.  So very thankful.

• Like 2

@Mary Beth, I am so happy that everything went smoothly with the surgery and you will continue to be in my thoughts during this challenging time ❤️. I am also so grateful for my new CI hearing every day, but especially for medical and healthcare appointments/interactions. 

@Mary Beth So happy that it went smoothly. There are so many people within the medical community that don't fully understand implants. And why would they if it is outsider their specialty? I know I really didn’t. My journey started by a “chance” meeting with someone that worked in the laundry department at the hospital that had bilateral implants. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jason77

Exactly.  No one can be an expert on all topics of medical care.  They were very interested and asked great questions.