Implanted yesterday

Joemar10

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

The Synchrony magnet rotates and is polarized differently than the Concert magnet as we know. Concert is polarized top/bottom and Synchrony is polarized left/right.

I have one of each.

Here's what I've noticed.

The Concert side locks in the D-coil exactly in one place. There is no wiggle room. It is in one specific spot.

The Synchrony side locks in the D-coil with a bit of wiggle room. You have to center it on your head in the middle of the wiggle room area.

I like that the Synchrony magnet can be used in stronger MRI tests, but the design of the magnet seems to effect its strength a bit.

Many people are posting on a FB page about needing stronger magnets with the Synchrony. In fact several people have needed customized magnets from MedEl.

For me, I can use strength 3 on the D-coil on both sides for the Sonnet. That makes me think that skin flap thickness is not an issue.

However for the heavier Rondo, I needed to move up to magnet strength 4 with the Synchrony side even though magnet strength 3 works on the Concert side.

This is just my subjective experience. The magnets do function differently. I prefer the locked in one place function of the Concert magnet but giving that up is a small price to pay for the increased MRI capabilities of those who have bilateral Synchrony implants.

If there are other people on here who have one internal Concert and one internal Synchrony implant, I'd love to read your experiences with the magnet differences.

Mary Beth

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent and thorough explanation - thank you Mary Beth :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I was particularly interested with technical details - so logic.  :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I have heard the same about the magnets.

Another thought, you want to make sure that the magnet you use is strong enough to hold in place, but not too strong. If you have a magnet that is too strong, it could potentially damage the skin flap over time. Be sure to have your Audi, Medel rep and Doctor all on the same page before moving up in strength

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree Adam. My audiologist told me to move up in magnet strength.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had a bit of a scab left at activation. So they gave me a #3. But I. Moved it back down to a #2 when the scab fell off. It felt as though they plant wanted to come through the skin. It feels mostly better now. Still sometimes at bed time it feels funny like that.