Sonnet

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Well it looks like I will officially be upgrading to the sonnet processor. Really looking forward to it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Good to hear. Both ears?

I had a difficult time getting CIGNA to approve the SONNET upgrade because there was a question if it was medically necessary.

I hope the software to turn on the second microphone will be available soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I will be going bilateral. I also am looking forward to the rest of the upgrades to be approved. It feels like somebody just gave me a brand new car but no keys with it

• HearPeers Heroes

hadron

Yes both ears. I am getting help from Vocational rehab with the cost of both. Due to the nature of my job, communication is critical, the processors I have now (opus 2) are in bad shape and very susceptible to moisture so they can go dead on me at any time. The ear hook broke off taking a piece of plastic with it. It is not able to be attached back on. With that hole right by the mic. Moisture and sweat gets in very easily.

I had my phone in my pocket and had the DAI cable plugged in to my phone and processor. When I was walking in from outside at work, the cable caught the doorknob and pulled the processor off from the rear. It looks like it did it with enough force to break it. Strange thing is it did not come apart until the next day. This was back in mid 2014. Not only do I have the moisture issue, now that the hook is not on the processor, It continually falls off of my ear. Very frustrating. The warranty was not an option as it had run out. We did not have enough money to have it extended. Very valuable lesson. This processor should have the 5 year warranty as well. We will be saving up over the next 5 years to make sure we can pay to extend it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I can't remember right off the top of my head, I am pretty sure it was a couple hundred dollars. The biggest problem I had was the fact that we are drowning in medical debt. I have had 5 brain surgeries in less than 2 years. I do have medical insurance through work but we have a high deductible. We just couldn't afford the warranty and had to chance it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Good to hear vocational rehab is helping you with the cost.

• HearPeers Heroes

MED-EL gives you a 5 year warranty on your External patient kit, which includes everything but the actual internal implant, which has a 10 year warranty.

Just before your 5 year warranty is up you can purchase an Extended Service Contract for a 1 year period. The contract must be renewed annually to keep it active. The cost is $500.00 per year for one processor. Two processors can be renewed for $900.00 per year.

The actual MED-EL verbiage is below. I took the words from a pdf document MED-EL sent me. I would attach the file with this message but I do not know how.

MED-EL offers the opportunity to purchase an Extended Service Contract upon the expiration of the Manufacturer’s External Patient Kit Warranty. The Extended Service Contract provides repair or replacement due to mechanical or electrical manufacturer defects but not due to theft, loss or accidental damage for all eligible components.

The eligible components are: the audio processor and associated coils, battery frames, coil cables and FineTuner(s).

The extended service contract(s) must be purchased prior to the expiration of the initial manufacturer’s warranty, for a period of one (1) year, and can be renewed annually.

Pricing for external systems (per implanted side):

1 year $500 (one processor) $900 (two processors)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep that is why I didn't buy it. I knew there was no way we could afford it.

Thanks for sending that info.

• HearPeers Heroes

In the U.S., how lucky have people been getting their insurance to upgrade them every five years or so?

• HearPeers Heroes

I live in the U.S. And that wasn't the case for me. Actually it would not have made a difference if they did "cover" it. My Deductible is 8500.00 before insurance picks up anything. I pay everything out of pocket until I reach 8500. They also want it in one lump sum and not make payments. Insurance is really good to have. It has helped us out a bunch. Just frustrating when the bar is set so high with the deductible.

• HearPeers Heroes

The insurance is expensive.

Medicare patients can upgrade their CI processor every 5 years. Medicare pays 80% of the cost. If you have a secondary insurance they may cover the remaining 20%.

Many companies have switched to High Deductible Health Insurance. It is difficult to find a company offering a PPO with a small deductible.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep

Luckily it is taken care of this time. We will just try and save some money for the end of this warranty and get at least one more year out of it.

When I got my implants, the warranty was 3 years. It didn't go up to 5 until around the time the Rondo was rolled out

• HearPeers Heroes

I am just lucky in my timing of implants it seems. Longer warranty. Free Rondo promotion. I feel very fortunate.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep Marybeth. My hospital used to be a 2 processor hospital. You would get on primary processor and on backup. That is no the case anymore. When I get the sonnets, I will get one for each ear and no rondo.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

EVEN 2 processors centers only give one processor on upgrades. The 2 processors are only for new surgeries. So down the road, I will be in your shoes too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

You get the two processors and a free Rondo if you purchase a SYNCHRONY CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

MaryBeth you are correct. I will be receiving 2 sonnets and that is it. The Rondo is for new patients as well

• 1 month later...

I had my first surgery in April and was given a SONNET and two RONDO's.  I chose Med El because I especially liked the RONDO because it did not require the processor to be hooked behind the ear.  I was so tired of hearing aids.  When I first got the activation I could not keep the RONDO on my head even with a number 4 magnet but now it is my main processor.  I could not tell a difference in the sound between the RONDO and the SONNET.  Maybe I need to investigate further.  I do not hear 100% and the background noise is still an issue with me but since I only had 5% hearing in my right ear, having an implant was a great improvement.  I am not ready for a second implant yet.  I do qualify for one but I think I need more time to get use to the way I hear with an implant in just one ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Montana,

The Sonnet may sound different after the FDA approves the dual mics and windblock features. The Rondo and the Opus2 sound the same to me now.

Mary Beth