Sonnet

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess it will definitely sound differently - Samba sounds soooo much differently because of noise-cancelling option.

This will

Most certainly improve your hearing abilities.;)

• HearPeers Heroes

In Ontario we get the first processor free. Covered by OHIP. Then we have to pay full price after that. So I hope it lasts five years or more!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I am curious to see how much of a difference, if any, there will be when the second mic is approved.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am curious to see how much of a difference, if any, there will be when the second mic is approved.

There has to be different - otherwise: what's the point?  :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with you Ivana. Not everybody will perceive the exact same result. Some ( probably most) will love it, some possibly could take it or leave it and some might not prefer it.

All that being said, a great deal of study and research went into the thought of having duel mics. They have to have results that prove a benefit. If not, they would not have gone through the trouble.

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I just heard that the FDA has finally approved the dual mics. Actually I believe it has approved the second mic to be activated. But don't rush off to your AuD as word to them may take time too.

• HearPeers Heroes

My Audi told me that she is expecting possibly the first couple of weeks in April, where I live. It's close enough, I don't mind waiting much longer

• HearPeers Heroes

My Audi told me that she has heard nothing from MedEL about the release date. So, just waiting, and waiting, and....

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess a lot depends on what country you live in as well. They will have an awful lot of clinics to supply worldwide.

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know. I thought all that need to be done is releasing a software for mapping and some training for audiologists. By the way, I live in the US :)

In Russia there are only four or five CI centers for the whole huge country :(

I am also in the United States and understand a Sonnet firmware update is needed, but do not know if already resides in the processor and simply requires activation. The Maestro software requires an upgrade (ASM 2.0) being installed and additional labeling. The labeling may have something to do with the FDA approval requirements.

I have been totally satisfied with my left side Sonnet/Synchrony combination since mid-2015, and am scheduled for a right side procedure in early April. It would be wonderful if the upgrades are available when the second Sonnet is activated. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Our Sonnets contain everything already.  The software our audiologists use has not allowed them to turn on certain features until FDA approval (which has happened) and Med-El releasing the software update (which Med-El says will be in the spring).

Dual mic options

-natural (fixed focus to front)

-omni (This is what we presently have with only one mic active but will have two mics active.) -picks up sounds all around

-Adaptive (focuses in on loudest sound with advantage to sounds from the front)

Wind Block options

-off

-3 settings for amount of windblock desired

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup, everything is already in place as far as the processor goes, all they were waiting for was FDA approval. I have heard, my Audi expects here in the southeast, sometime in the beginning of April. 

• HearPeers Heroes

So, there is no need of map adjusting, just switching on the part of physical hardware...

Cool - glad you all have survived the waiting period...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe technically it is considered a new MAP but the parameters in place already for thresholds, M levels, MAPLAW, compressions, etc do not need to be changed.  It is all front end processing.

My plan is to take my favorite MAP and have various versions of it placed in my processors

-natural

-adaptive

-omni

-with or without windblock

and then pay with them all to find my favorite one!  I can't wait!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I believe it would be considered a new map as along with turning the mic on, I'm sure there will need to be some "tweaking" of each program

• HearPeers Heroes

Marybeth, the neat part about it is that you can change based on the environment you are in. If I was in a noisy restaurant with a lot of people behind me but I was trying to have a conversation, I could switch from omni to I believe adaptive. It completely blocks out background noise and focuses on the voice in front. It was pretty surreal the first time I used it

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been reading everything I can find on it.  Smile.  It's been a long wait.

Natural has a fixed focus to the front and does best when noise is only behind you.

Adaptive locks in on loudest signals with a preference to signals in front of you.

Some people have a program that switches automatically from omni to adaptive at a set dB level so when sound reaches that noise level it goes into adaptive mode.

Lots to play with and test out.  Your report after the Arizona study added to my excitement.

• HearPeers Heroes

I can't wait myself Mary Beth. 

I think I would prefer deciding which program would be best based on situation as opposed to it deciding for me

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes that is what people are predicting may happen.  Those of us that are very used to hearing sounds from all around us and doing very well with it, may prefer to switch out of omni only when we select to do so.

However, people who are activated with this front end processing, will just learn to hear this way.

Some predictions say that those who remain in one program in all settings, may still chose to do that.  Those who are adjusting volume and sensitivity throughout their day, may prefer the front end processing all of the time.

We will see.  I asked international users for their preferred mic settings and wind block settings, and as expected.......everyone had a different preference.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

One size doesn't fit all, that is for sure. Glad to have the options though

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, as user of Opus2 and Rondo (I believed read in other post) It will be interesting to know what the difference/improvement you detect.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin

i do not have a Rondo. Ihad bilateral opus 2. I was told that the sonnet used the same coding strategy as the opus 2 as well as the same mapping. Because of this, I wouldn't really detect any difference in what I was hearing. Not until both Mics were activated.

I actually did seem to "hear better" with the sonnet. When asked to be more specific, I really couldn't put my finger on it. It just seemed better. 

I'm  sorry this really doesn't answer your question. It was just hard to come up with words to describe

• HearPeers Heroes

For me I like omni. Because my left ear is so poor omni works to balance what that ear can't hear. Then I use adaptive for very loud settings. That's all. But I absolutely love using it and with all the gadgets!!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great Kara. Glad you got it figured out for yourself. That's gotta make hearing even easier