Defective Cochlear Implant?

melchang

Hi Folks,

I need your advice.  So far I just felt vibration yet could not hear any sound at high pitch during hearing test.  My low frequency gets much worse, down from 20dB pre-surgery to 70/80 dB post surgery at 250hz.  All my symptoms including 24/7 loud tinnitus, fullness of ear, frequent dizziness and occasional nauseous feeling become worse under loud background noise.  Now my ENT could not diagnose.

in my post surgery CT scan report it is said

1)  "Middle ear cavity: There is some nonspecific soft tissue within the middle ear around the electrode, likely postsurgical. Otherwise the middle air cavity is clear."  Does it sound normal?  Is those nonspecific soft tissue the reason causing my symptoms?

2) "Semicircular canals: There appear to be dehiscence over the right semicircular canal. Lateral and posterior semicircular canals are preserved."  I did research online (http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/unilat/scd.htm), all symptoms of SSCD (Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence) match well with mine   On the website I mentioned above, description of other dehiscences does horrify me, it is said, "It is possible that there are occasionally small cracks in the bone between the middle and inner ear. They are sometimes called "fistulae", although it seems unlikely that in this situation there is a break between the inner ear membranes and the middle ear. Their significance is controversial. A case of a fistula (air in labyrinth) was reported after cochlear implant of the HiFocus II implant. In this case, vertigo occurred after the patient blew his nose. It was suggested that the connective tissue seal between the electrode and positioner extends into the tympanic cavity and predisposes this type of implant to this type of fistula (Hempel et al, 2004). Fistulae have also been reported in other cochlear implant cases (Kusuma et al, 2005)."   Cochlear implant surgery predisposes implant to fistula (air in labyrinth)?

One year post surgery I still can't hear any sound at high pitch.  Is that possible I received a defective cochlear implant?

Thanks,

Mel

• HearPeers Heroes

Mel,

Sorry to read about your difficulties. I believe you can request a MedEl rep to be present at an appointment with your audiologist. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will post back to you soon.

Mary Beth

Hi Mary Beth,

A young audiologist from MedEl was on site 3 times when my audiologist tested my hearing since last December.  If problem can be solved, I don't have to seek advice on forum here.  Well, I need to see ENTs in other clinics.  Don't know anyone here knows reputable ENT in Mayo clinic, UCLA or John Hopkins?

Thanks,

Mel

Hi Mel,

Thanks for bringing this up. These are completely medical issues so since I'm not a doctor there are some things I can't help you with--but I do want to help where I can and that's getting you in touch with people with whom you can talk about this.

You said that you've seen a MED-EL audiologist three times; I'd recommend also talking with your local MED-EL representative. This will vary depending on where you live (your profile says California, right?) so I'll send you a message with the private contact details. I'll also send you info about Mayo, UCLA, and Johns Hopkins.

I hope these can help.

Hi Mel,

Thanks for bringing this up. These are completely medical issues so since I'm not a doctor there are some things I can't help you with--but I do want to help where I can and that's getting you in touch with people with whom you can talk about this.

You said that you've seen a MED-EL audiologist three times; I'd recommend also talking with your local MED-EL representative. This will vary depending on where you live (your profile says California, right?) so I'll send you a message with the private contact details. I'll also send you info about Mayo, UCLA, and Johns Hopkins.

I hope these can help.

Hi Erik,

Countless appreciation for your help.

Mel

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for your advice erik

Mel the semicircular canals are in fact your vestibular or balance center. As Erik said, this is more a medical issue than a CI issue as the vestibular system does not have a direct affect on the implant. There are some treatments they can give you based on your diagnosis. I had a number of vestibular problems that had to be taken care of. Be sure to talk to your doctor and describe exactly what is happening, when does it happen, for how long.....? This will help them figure things out

Adam

• 1 month later...