Cochlear Implants and Induction Stove Top

Kim Calabretta

Hello!

I have a Med El for almost 20 years- love it. Am investigating getting a new stove with an induction oven/stovetop but read in some European newsletters that it can interfere or heat up internal devices like a peacemaker or CI.

does anyone know about this? I know it’s a topic that’s not easy to gauge an answer.

thanks

kim

Thanks I am five feet tall and I should be far enough from the induction top - what if I’m bending over to get something from stove and my head gets close to the top range?

would it cause issues? Really want to make sure it doesn’t damage my CI or the internal device. (As mentioned before they don’t recommend it for people with pacemakers)

appreciate this 

Kim

Like many of us, apart from being old and decrepit, I am bionic. I have a CI, I have a pacemaker and, as a result of over ambitious skiing, I have an artificial knee. I am very interested to read the Med-El response. We have a seemingly powerful four plate induction cooker at home which we've had for over ten years so it is not the latest technology and though I have read articles advising those of us with CI to eschew such cookers I have never had an issue. I also also have a connected weighing scale which should, in theory, never be used by anyone wth a pacemaker. I ran that issue past my cardiologist who told me absolutely not to worry because my pacemaker was MRI capable. My CI is MRI capable. Are we talking about the same thing?

Hello there,

we've sent your questions to our product experts, we'll let you know as soon as we receive an answer. 

Kind Regards, 

Giulia

On 3/21/2022 at 11:49 AM, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hello there,

we've sent your questions to our product experts, we'll let you know as soon as we receive an answer. 

Kind Regards, 

Giulia

Hello

have not received an answer yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stove that is half induction. I bought it five years before losing my hearing and getting implants. I get feedback from induction if my processors are set to MT, but no problem on M. I still love the induction cooking.

Hi everybody, 

apologies for our late reply. 

This is the answer from our product experts: The 5 to 10 cm rule still holds regardless of actual user size and the recommend to always refer to the user manual for the external components (under general precautions). If by chance you need to be closer than that to an operational stove, you should turn off the heating area.

Regarding the pacemaker question: most modern pacemakers are detecting electrical activity in the heart muscle. So potentially, they are more prone to getting a false signal from an external field and the warnings in the manuals are therefore rather conservative. In that sense a CI doesn’t actively record signals during normal (hearing) operation. The remote scale and MRI systems do not have much in common.  Again this related to how pacemakers operate.

Kind Regards, 

Giulia

• Like 2