It's going to happen this time!

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Three times is the charm.  I'm in Durham, NC and will be reporting to Med-El promptly in the morning to begin whatever it is that Jenna needs me to do to help their research project for the next-gen CIs.  This is SO COOL.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

I have two more days at the MedEl office, but the research being done has tremendous potential for CI recipients.  Truly so exciting to be part of this! 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 3/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, Mary Beth said:

Enjoy your week @Mary Featherston

Oh, most definitely.  And people there know you, @Mary Beth!  You have contributed to both MedEl and to the users here in the HearPeers forum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

It occurred to me that I never did report back.  It was a great week.  Many of the tests are fairly tedious (at one point they were using coils connected to a computer to send sounds into my head but I wasn't actually participating - I actually read a book.  And I can't say a lot about what they were testing because I signed a nondisclosure and these are things that may end up in the next generation of products!  But it was wonderful to be part of that and meet the team in Durham - @MED-EL ModeratorI can't say enough about the team there, Jenna, Josh, Johanna and Kosta were all great, and it was a privilege to be part of the development of products that help so many of us.  I did post to my blog right afterwards (actually I was in a hotel halfway home, as I drove to Durham):  https://hearinglisten.blogspot.com/

• Like 1

Hi there, i also participate in research. One of the subjects is a software program being developed to assist in insertion of the array. I participated shortly after surgery, it is a software that is attached to the array while slow insertion is going on, the operator can signal to the surgeon if the software shows the flex might be getting close to possible damage. The testing is like you said....lots of noise while you read a book. I was told only three places are studying it, u of iowa, and north Carolina, (3rd she didnt say) so an upgrade was received so i was asked to do it again. I was in that chair for at least 2 hours, closer to 3 while she did the old version again on me, to compare with 6 months ago, then the new version. The new version had different noise patterns and increases to just about too loud, lol. I was pretty exhausted after!

Very fascinating and really good for future implants. Some of the early implants created damage to the cochlea during insertion, the info on the net is fascinating.

Grats on the experience mary!

• Like 1