Thought for the day

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

So earlier today I was sitting here thinking. Yes I know that can be dangerous :D.

Some of you know that I am an Ultramarathoner. An Ultramarathon is any race longer than the usual marathon distance of 26.2 miles. The shortest of these races is 31.2 miles and they can last so long as many days. The last ultra that I ran was the Delirium 24 hour. In this type of timed ultra you run against the clock and try to cover as many miles as you can in 24 hours. It was a 1.7 mile loop on a trail. I completed 110 Kilometers. I have run over 80,miles in another race.

All that to say, I believe there are many similarities between getting a CI or other implanted hearing assistance and ultra marathons. During a race, you will have many highs and lows. Many times where you feel awesome and things are really going well and you can see all the hard work paying off. There are times when it feels like you don't feel like you are doing very well and making the progress you thought you should. This can lead to great frustration

The excitement of the big day FINALLY getting here so you can get started.

One of the things that ultra marathoners say A LOT during a race, especially when things get tough is RFM or relentless forward motion. Whatever happens, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and continue moving forward.

I think in many ways, some of us have had some of these same emotions when it comes to our hearing implants. Here we call it the 3 P's. pAtience, practice and persistence.

Let me encourage all the newbies out there to enjoy the ride and look forward to some awesome hearing. Remember the 3 P"s.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

That is so true Adam! I went for my latest mapping this week and we were just discussing how much of a difference each mapping has meant in my journey. I am so pleased with my progress. I have milestones still to achieve and it will happen with the 3 Ps. I still have to master the telephone (but we all use texting and email) and hearing music. I haven't spent time with this but it's my next goal. The WOW moments far outweigh any of the downs. So, keep the thinking cap on. The support we get from everyone in this forum is invaluable and I thank all of you.

• HearPeers Heroes

It's when your audiologist changes the sounds so you hear louder or clearer. My changes were every three months, then six months and now I am at the norm. It took me a long time (2 years) to be able to tolerate all the new sounds that I'd never heard before, especially loud ones. I still like quiet time if I've been exposed to what I call "noise" for too long. And that's ok too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep, this journey is a marathon and not a sprint

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam you are amazing! Thanks for the thought of the day!!