New to this blog

Elbras

Hello,

I am a new CI candidate. My surgery is set for 12/16/15 in my left ear. I am interested in the Rondo. I am concerned about losing what low frequencies hair cells I have when the implantation is done. Did any one else out there feel this way? Did it matter after you were implanted?

• HearPeers Heroes

Elbras,

Welcome to hearpeers! This is a great community of folks that can share some really good info. Do you mind me asking how much hearing do you have left? Another question is whether the residual hearing that you do have is even useful to you.

Medels electrode arrays are designed in a way to be atramatic which means you would have a very good chance in preserving some or all of your residual hearing.

This being said, there are a number of factors that can affect this. One big one is the shape and condition the cochlea is in. Skill of the surgeon......We don't know from one person to the next who will lose any residual hearing and who won't.

The way that I looked at it was, the residual hearing in my right ear did absolutely no good to me so I didn't really care if I lost it or not.

Looking forward to getting to know you. Feel free to ask as many questions as you care to.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes - exactly like Adam wrote: is your residual hearing useful? Because, audiogram on the paper and your real sense of hearing are totally different things.

Also, perhaps your lower frequencies will be affected but you will adapt and after certain time you'll get full range after the process of neuroplasticity fully end.

• HearPeers Heroes

Nice to meet you Elbras. I have my surgery sheduled tomorrow. So I will keep up updated as how it goes.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies and the info. I felt a little silly writing the above but the little I have left, well I guess I wanted to hold on to. I have about 35 left in low frequencies @ 250 - 500 Hz; 25-30 db left @1,000 Hz. Then I am off the charts.

Aided binauraIly I hear men, vowels sounds but I am very poor with the consonants without face to face lip reading and even then I miss a lot; forget two or more people.

But like my husband said ever so eloquently, "why do you want to keep damaged hair cells if they are not working?"

Adam, Nice to know Med-el implant is atramatic.

Ivana, you threw me for a loop with "neuroplasticity fully end?" Are you referring to the electrode insertion from the Apex to the end?

New hearing 2015- good luck on your surgery tomorrow.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Elbras,

Actually, the electrode is atraUmatic but it depends much on surgeon's hand like Adam said.

No neuroplasticity is the process which starts when electrode starts to work, it is a process of neural adapting and evolving your hearing abilities. That's why the result of the first tuning will not be a final result. 

Is your hearing loss progressive or steady?

• HearPeers Heroes

The brain is amazing when it flexes its muscles.

I had to have a Labrynthectomy in 2009. This is where they remove the semicircular canals ( your vestibular system)

Very soon after the surgery, the brain realizes you have lost have your balance center, then it takes over and compensates for the missing balance. I am a martial artist as well as runner. I have no problems running or doing jump spin kicks. It is like I never had the surgery.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank goodness for neuroplasticity of our brains! Where would we be without that?!

• HearPeers Heroes

The brain is amazing when it flexes its muscles.

I had to have a Labrynthectomy in 2009. This is where they remove the semicircular canals ( your vestibular system)

Very soon after the surgery, the brain realizes you have lost have your balance center, then it takes over and compensates for the missing balance. I am a martial artist as well as runner. I have no problems running or doing jump spin kicks. It is like I never had the surgery.

Yes Adam, recently researches started to understand that your situation is not adaptation to new circumstances than it's a part of neuroplastic process of our brain.  :P

Who said that exercising is not fruithful...? :huh:

Hello everyone,

Wow! I better buy a neural dictionary!

Ivana, my loss has been progressive over the last 55 years, but has stayed the same the last 10 years. I used my hearing aids 14 hours daily and I took advantage of any assistive listening devices that was available.

Our human bodies are amazing, that's for sure. I have great faith that I will adapt with neuroplasticity now that I know what that means.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep

The Marine Corps has a saying that I think applies

Adapt and overcome

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello everyone,

Wow! I better buy a neural dictionary!

Ivana, my loss has been progressive over the last 55 years, but has stayed the same the last 10 years. I used my hearing aids 14 hours daily and I took advantage of any assistive listening devices that was available.

Our human bodies are amazing, that's for sure. I have great faith that I will adapt with neuroplasticity now that I know what that means.

Yes Elbras,

You definitely will because your hearing system is already organized just is little bit weaken because input was not strong enough (because of progressively attenuated signal strength of sound). Just believe that everything can be moved again in the direction you're hoping for. ;)