Acoustic Neuroma and Sudden Hearing Loss; I got both

Leah

Is there anyone else who has both an Acoustic Neuroma (vestibular sheroma) and a sudden hearing loss?  The hearing in my left ear went out slowly, but no one knew why until I had a sudden hearing loss in my right ear.  When they did an MRI to see what caused the sudden hearing loss on the right they found the AN on the left.   Next week I go in for Gamma Knife surgery for the AN.  Got a CI last January and now, with the CI turned off, all I hear is tinnitus.  (Deafness is not silent!)

Both are very rare.  If anyone else has had both I would like to talk to them.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I have not had a AN. I did have a Cholesteatoma in my left ear though. It is a benign tumor. It grew to the point that it had pulled the bones apart in my middle ear. My hearing in that ear was already shot.

You are not kidding about the tinnitus. It was pretty bad. Even with the CI's I still have it. Just not nearly as bad as when I wear my processors. Don't really notice it much unless I am in a very quiet room or when I take my processors of at night

• HearPeers Heroes

Is there anyone else who has both an Acoustic Neuroma (vestibular sheroma) and a sudden hearing loss?  The hearing in my left ear went out slowly, but no one knew why until I had a sudden hearing loss in my right ear.  When they did an MRI to see what caused the sudden hearing loss on the right they found the AN on the left.   Next week I go in for Gamma Knife surgery for the AN.  Got a CI last January and now, with the CI turned off, all I hear is tinnitus.  (Deafness is not silent!)

Both are very rare.  If anyone else has had both I would like to talk to them.  

Hello Leah,

Well, this is unusual situation but, on the other hand, everything is possible. 

Sudden hearing loss is a syndrome, which means that various set of possible causes could provoke it and there is no way that it can be linked with AN.

Tinnitus is usual in a way that our brain actually produce it because of lost input and/or severely affected hearing cells. 

Look around - but I have read other forums which are exclusively dedicated to the situation similar to your's regarding acoustic neuroma. 

Sudden Hearing Loss is sometimes the presenting symptom of an AN, but I am asking about SHL and AN in different ears.

Yes, SHL is only a syndrome, but that does not alter the probability that any one person would have that syndrome.  Odds of SHL are somewhere between 5 and 20 per 100,000.  The probability of getting an AN are even less ... 1 in 100,000.  If the two conditions were truly unrelated, the probability of getting both is found by multiplying the two probabilities.  That would be a 2 in 1,000,000,000.   But the US population is only around 390,000,000 and the world population is about 7,200,000,000.  If I had done the math before asking the question, I might not have bothered asking if anyone else had had both.

But I did find one other person by searching the HearPeers forum for "acoustic neuroma."  I only found 3 hits on AN, but one was a person who had lost hearing in one ear from AN and then suddenly lost hearing in the other ear.  This could just be a statistical fluke, or it may mean that there is some underlying connection between AN and SHL.

I posted her first because I joined HearPeers before learning that my AN was getting bigger.  I intend to post the same question on other forums once I my registration is approved.

So I am still asking, is there anyone else out there with both AN and SHL

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, but you keep forget the fact that SHL and AN happened on different sides. On that way you can pair - anything. 

Secondly, at the end, these episode are still - probabilities, not 100% results. There is a slight difference.

At the end, SHL is not JUST syndrome - it's a complex condition which can be caused by various etiologic factors. 

Further - I think there is no need to prolong this discussion.