re-chargable batteries for Sonnet 2

Mark Landsbaum

I was activated 12 days ago. So far, so so.

I've experienced a couple of times already that my batteries that didn't appear to have re-charged, despite them being in the charger overnight.

When inserted, the blue light comes on the charger, so I know at that point there was a good connection. But after putting them in my Sonnet, I hear nothing and the light on the device does not come on.

When i plug them back into the charger, its blue light comes on and stays on, although I don't stare at it for hours to see if they are recharging for that entir period.

Consequently, I've decided to rely on disposable batteries until I can figure out the problem.

I may have overlooked the instruction (or maybe didn't hear it, ha ha), but must rechargable batteries remain in the charger even after the light goes out?

Could I be charging them too long?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mark Landsbaum

Hmmm….  the batteries can stay in the charger overnight.  I stopped using them because disposable batteries work better for me.  Are you sure you are snapping them in completely when placing them in the Sonnet2?  Any chance the rechargeable battery adapter is not snapped in completely?

Oh, there's always a chance. But I've had zero problems with re-charagable batteries. As with everything about the implant, time will tell, I guess.

I've got the Sonnet and the Rondo, but haven't used the Rondo yet because my audiologist apparently didn't want to overload my learning curve (plenty steep as it is). I will have the Rondo programmed Thursday when I meet with her again. I already prefer it to the thing hanging and falling off my ear. Even with hearing aids, I didn't have devices that hung on the ear. Always in the ear. Perhaps it's what you get used to. When I asked a MedEl group online why anyone would prefer two devices on their head instead of one, that was the best answer I got: people got used to wearing hearing aids hanging on their ears.

As long as we're on the subject, do you know of any substantial differences in  effectiveness between the Rondo and Sonnet? Seems like squeezing everything into one device should give up something in effectiveness.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mark Landsbaum

Actually I like both the Rondo and the Sonnet for different reasons.

Both run the same platform so programming options are the same and they should sound similar.

Sonnet 2 has better connectivity options than Rondo 3.  AudioStream sounds awesome and directly streams from phones and tablets.  It also has a built in telecoil.  Sonnet 2 also has disposable/replaceable rechargeable battery options unlike Rondo 3 which needs to be charged or plugged into a power pack when the battery is low.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to comparing them.

Maybe it's just me, but the streaming to my Sonnet is lousy. I can hardly understand a word from my phone or computer via bluetooth. But then, i'm only on Day12 so that may explain a lot.

My AudioLink is on back order so I hope that may make a difference. I have come to rely on streaming with my Phonak hear aid from its Roger microphone. Even MedEl people have told me the Roger is superior when it comes to streaming. Phonak makes a Roger receiver compatible with the Sonnet, I'm told. I'll probably get it.

The reliance solely on re-chargable batteries for the Rondo could be significant, given my experience so far with Sonnet. 

Thanks for your comments.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mark Landsbaum

I have Roger tech too and for use as a remote mic- either worn by one person or placed on a table for a small group- Roger is superior to AudioLink in my opinion.

But AudioStream for direct from phone/tablet to Sonnet has much better audio quality and offers true stereo- separate left and right instrumentals for music.  So for streaming ALL audio from phones, AudioStream wins hands down for me compared to Roger or AudioLink.

How are you streaming to your Sonnet2 from your computer without AudioLink?  

I find setting the Sonnet on MT or T and using Artone BT neckloop a very convenient way to stream all audio although AudioStream has better sound quality and offers true separate stereo for music.

If Roger is superior to AudioLink, and also works with my hearing aid, I probably should get the Phonak receiver rather than rely on the stock receiver and wait for the AudioLink?

Am I right that stereo separation can't work with a signal sent to only one ear. And the Roger technology would allow me to send the same signal to my hearing aid and to my cochlear implant, right?

Also, I probably haven't been streaming when I thought I was. In fact, my wife could hear it too, so we probably both were just hearing from my phone's speaker. It was really soft and low-quality for me.

I'll nail down the details when I see my audiologist Thursday. I hope.

With the AudioLink on back order, I probably should go ahead and order the Phonak-Roger-compatible receiver, don't ya think?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mark Landsbaum

It is still very early days for you and everyone’s preferences for tech is unique.

If you plan on staying bimodal and want to stream to both a HA and the Sonnet simultaneously, there are a few options.

-Artone BT neckloop as long as your HA has an active telecoil (very convenient, works with various BT devices, truly hands free phone calls, excellent range).  Same audio would be heard in both ears.

-Roger but realize that most Roger transmitters are BT only for phone calls and require an A2DP converter app for other phone audio streaming or cables to the devices

-around the ear BT headphones (I love BOSE QC35. Excellent audio, separate left and right instrumentals.)

AudioLink seems to be coming in your kit so you will be able to test it out.  Some people like it when it is attached to the sound source by cables.

Right now you may want to focus on a way to isolate audio just to your Sonnet for training.