Rondo 3 Can’t Find Implant’s Magnet

Pedro Jose

Hi, I am Pedro from USA, but living and working in Saudi Arabia (Synchrony 2 implant done three weeks ago in Saudi Arabia). During the activation day three days ago, my Rondo 3 could not find the implant’s magnet (after many attempts), even with Magnet #5. My Audiologist said that they will request Medel for a Magnet #6 as a last resource before doing something else, like another surgery to relocate the implant or remove fat so that the magnets can connect to each other. I consider myself another surgery unnecessary as the magnets’ strength are adequate. I checked myself the strength of both #4 and #5 magnets with other metals and found it really strong and I don't think, even with a thick skin and fat, that the magnets would be the problem. Also, the issue could be the implant’s magnet. At the end, the activation could not be done, on which I was very disappointed.

Has anyone experienced something similar during activation or when changing sound processors?

Hi @Pedro Jose, Based on reading forums (so this is not advice), I have noticed that many people report experiencing inflammation/swelling at the magnet site (that is not noticeable when touching it or looking at it) and start out with stronger magnets until the inflammation goes down and then use weaker magnets after weeks/months of healing. Some do, however, eventually get corrective surgery like you describe. I have read that sometimes people get a temporary loan of the Sonnet 2 from their clinic to use until the inflammation goes down as the DL coil stays on better for some since it is lighter. At two weeks, my audiologist's test device didn't stick to my magnet at all. At three weeks, I had to use a headband to keep my Rondo 3 in place and a strong magnet for my Sonnet 2.  After two months, I'm now having no problems and am using a #4 magnet on both Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 with no headbands. If you're interested, here is the recommended sports headband  for Rondo 3, available from the Med-EL webshop or the manufacturer.

Thanks @AnnetteT, useful tips. Maybe I just need time and using a temporary headband to active the device. However, this should have been advised by my audiologist, I think.

21 hours ago, Pedro Jose said:

Thanks @AnnetteT, useful tips. Maybe I just need time and using a temporary headband to active the device. However, this should have been advised by my audiologist, I think.

hi @Pedro Jose,  I hope that the #6 magnet works for you! I did find that I needed a strong magnet at first too.  I can only speak to my personal situation which is that I went from having a lot of trouble with any strength of magnet at 2 weeks when doing a test and then finding at 3 weeks that the #3 wouldn't stick at all and the #5 replacement irritated my skin (so I used the #3 with the headband until finally getting a #4 which was a bit too weak at first but is now very solid at 9 weeks). I have no idea if the headband solution that I used was medically advisable or not--I used it without asking anyone.  I just logically thought that since my surgeon told me that the internal healing takes about 3 months, I would find a workaround to get by until I was fully healed. Fortunately, I didn't need the headband that long. But, my situation is different from yours and I defer to your medical professionals for providing actual advice ☺️

• HearPeers Heroes

I also used a stronger magnet at first with my right side and then a couple of months later moved to a weaker magnet.  It is pretty common to have internal swelling at first which can impact magnet retention.

There are a few people who due to other medical reasons do not have an internal magnet at all and they use other methods of securing the processor over the internal implant.

• Like 2