Hello everyone.

MUrdock Rydhian

Hello everyone. My name is Murdock. Rydhian I am writing to you from Bucaramanga, Colombia, South America. I am a candidate for a cochlear implant. I suffer from profound bilateral mixed hearing loss. The surgery will be done in two weeks. cochlear implant is something that I have always waited for and the wait seems eternal. I hope to be able to exchange sensations with each one of you and I will tell you how I feel day by day, see you soon!

I am being evaluated for Cochlear implants. My hearing loss has become more profound. Recently I was at a dinner with old friends and couldn't understand most of the conversations. I was the head of a business meeting and was repeatedly frustrated having to have people repeat themselves. I felt like the town moron. I am a retired physician but I still volunteer. The most important tool I have is my ability to take a history. I often find it very difficult to communicate. Especially with those people outside of my hearing envelop.  have isolated myself. Avoided conferences, dinner parties and family events. I am hoping the implant will change this your experience would help me make my decision.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Gerald

I remember clearly how small my world had become.  These CIs have been life changing.  I shared my story in this captioned video.

We are a friendly group.  Feel free to ask questions.  Wishing you the best.

Hi gerald, i too either avoided, or got a sore neck from nodding when hearing aids were just not enough. I had 50 percent loss in both ears. When my implant was activated i quickly went to 80 percent understanding after activation. I may still sit in the background, marvelling in what i could hear instead of NOT hearing, so now, 6 months later, i can participate in so many more conversations than prior to implant. Im excitedly awaiting a new hearing aid for the unimplanted ear so i can get to hearing all around me. 

I hope your journey starts soon, its better to put energy into hearing vs energy spent on frustration!

Good luck and let us know how things go!

On 9/4/2022 at 6:55, Mary Beth said:

Deseandote lo mejor@MUrdock Rydhian! ¿Qué procesador obtendrá?

I have understood that this is or will be Medel's sonnet 2 I don't know exactly if it will be that one they have not given me any notification only this week that it will arrive in the capital of Colombia Bogotá and there the otologist will inform me of the type of implant audio processor cochlear what can you use or carry

On 9/4/2022 at 6:55, Mary Beth said:

Deseandote lo mejor@MUrdock Rydhian! ¿Qué procesador obtendrá?

On 8/4/2022 at 21:51, Kylie said:

Buena suerte@MUrdock Rydhian! Muy emocionado por ti.

THANKS !!! 

I am very anxious. The cochlear implant surgery is next Thursday, April 21, 7 AM (Colombian time), but he traveled this Monday, April 18, to arrive on time and deliver all the tests requested by the clinic.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MUrdock Rydhian

Wishing you the very best!  Please let us know how your surgery goes when you feel up to it.

• Like 1

Many years ago I was a geed for hi end sound equipment. Needless to say that hobby went away with my high end hearing. Can you guys listen to music with better appreciation. All of my TVs have closed caption activated. I can't watch without it. Will that get better? A major disappointment is trying to talk to my grandchildren. The pitch of their voices is right outside of my hearing profile. I would give anything to have a relationship with them. I don't talk about it much but is truly hurtful. So my future is about 4-6 weeks of presurgical evaluation. Possible surgery in 8 weeks. Eventual plug in 12 weeks. I am anxious excited and a little confused. 

Has anyone had a bad experience? Has anyone heard of bad experiences. I have read a bit and have not found anything bad. Life experience has taught me to be ever vigilant. If there is an ugly side please let me know.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:26 PM, MUrdock Rydhian said:

Hello everyone. My name is Murdock. Rydhian I am writing to you from Bucaramanga, Colombia, South America. I am a candidate for a cochlear implant. I suffer from profound bilateral mixed hearing loss. The surgery will be done in two weeks. cochlear implant is something that I have always waited for and the wait seems eternal. I hope to be able to exchange sensations with each one of you and I will tell you how I feel day by day, see you soon!

a question for those who already have a cochlear implant in use after the surgery, how long did it take for the audio processor to turn on? i have read that it takes about a month for its initial use, is it true or?

• HearPeers Heroes

@MUrdock Rydhian

it varies from one CI center to another.  It can be 1 day after surgery or several weeks after surgery.  For me it was about 3 weeks after surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Gerald

The return of music was an unexpected gift from my CIs.  It started to sound good at about 3-4 months after activation and took its own journey separate from speech.  I love listening to music now.

Yes I can watch TV without closed captioning.

Children’s voices were very very difficult with my hearing aid before the CI.  They are very clear now with my CI.

There are varying levels of listening ease with CIs.  The best advice I can give is to be committed to training your brain with your CI so you can get the most benefit from your CI.  Check out our REHAB section for lots of tips.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@MUrdock Rydhian

it varies from one CI center to another.  It can be 1 day after surgery or several weeks after surgery.  For me it was about 3 weeks after surgery.

I hope It's just one day !!  I'm so excited !!!  and whit anxious !!

5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@MUrdock Rydhian

I

• HearPeers Heroes

@MUrdock Rydhian

in the US there are a couple of CI centers activating the very next day but most CI centers seem to activate the processors a few weeks later.

for me, I was thankful to heal first.

Hi murdock, i have been activated 7 months. I was activated 2 weeks after surgery. I received flex 24 hoping to preserve residual hearing, so i took 2 weeks of steroids between surgery and activation. During this time i rested. I had very little pain, but happy to just rest. I started a second 2 week course of steroids while marveling at the sounds i could hear! 4 weeks after surgery i had a mapping, or sound adjustments on the sonnet2. I already could converse well, but i had rehabbed enough to watch and hear a tv connected to bluetooth and able to remove closed captions on that tv. On the family tv i turned off closed captions at about three months activation and two mappings.

Murdock, i rehabbed with special programs every day or at least 5 times a week for the first three months.

Practice and rehabilitation is very important, gains will be made on tones and words every day. You can practice with your children and grandchildren,  just by listening to them talk or maybe read to you.

I am very happy i received an implant, i enjoy hearing new sounds every day! Its now spring here and the sounds are wonderful!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dianna said:

Hola murdock, llevo 7 meses activado. Fui activado 2 semanas después de la cirugía. Recibí flex 24 con la esperanza de preservar la audición residual, así que tomé 2 semanas de esteroides entre la cirugía y la activación. Durante este tiempo descansé. Tuve muy poco dolor, pero feliz de descansar. ¡Comencé un segundo curso de esteroides de 2 semanas mientras me maravillaba con los sonidos que podía escuchar! 4 semanas después de la cirugía tuve un mapeo o ajustes de sonido en el sonnet2. Ya podía conversar bien, pero me había rehabilitado lo suficiente como para ver y escuchar un televisor conectado a bluetooth y poder eliminar los subtítulos en ese televisor. En la televisión familiar, apagué los subtítulos a los tres meses de activación y dos asignaciones.

Murdock, me rehabilité con programas especiales todos los días o al menos 5 veces a la semana durante los primeros tres meses.

La práctica y la rehabilitación son muy importantes, se lograrán avances en los tonos y las palabras todos los días. Puedes practicar con tus hijos y nietos, simplemente escuchándolos hablar o tal vez leerte.

¡Estoy muy feliz de haber recibido un implante, disfruto escuchando nuevos sonidos todos los días! ¡Ahora es primavera aquí y los sonidos son maravillosos!

thanks for yours words !!!