Implanted yesterday!

bluesidae

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Ross - like Adam and Sandy wrote, please keep us informed - it's a real joy to read and listen The Hearing adventures, I would call it. :);)

• HearPeers Heroes

Right thanks for setting me in right direction. I will have to look into the other implants more!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes - excellent Kara! As much as we share same sense loss some factors are a lot similar but there are several which are really different like not starting from the same starting line. On the other side, we share a lot elements of (re)habilitation process although we're not aware of it like neuroplasticity. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Right on!! I started my new training today. Audio books and telephone training!! I posted on amp other board with more information.

'Switch on' very well. I was fortunate to have both the audi and a Medel rep! I am using magnet #6 and they (me as well) are not satisfied with how the processor is staying on. The Medel rep is looking into other options. The set me up with 4 programs (Samba): normal, background noise, outside (reduce wind sound) and 'direct' for situations like drivng in a car. Some sounds are amazing (door closing, running water, keyboard 'clicks'). I am picking up voices very well. Overall I am very happy so far. I am sure, as my brain adjusts, that my hearing will continue to improve.

am still experimenting with programs and volume level. The remote does not indicate the actual volume level. Wish it did. I am using the Medel remote control. Is anyone using the Siemens unit??

I play guitar (at home). I am working with the programs and volume levels. This is a bit of a let down so far.

Day 2 begins!

• HearPeers Heroes

Try not to get discouraged Ross. It is a marathon and not a sprint. It is going to take time. It's a wild ride :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Well for day one you did awesome. Like Adam said its a marathon not a sprint. It takes time to adapt and to learn what works for you. Congrats so far.

• HearPeers Heroes

'Switch on' very well. I was fortunate to have both the audi and a Medel rep! I am using magnet #6 and they (me as well) are not satisfied with how the processor is staying on. The Medel rep is looking into other options. The set me up with 4 programs (Samba): normal, background noise, outside (reduce wind sound) and 'direct' for situations like drivng in a car. Some sounds are amazing (door closing, running water, keyboard 'clicks'). I am picking up voices very well. Overall I am very happy so far. I am sure, as my brain adjusts, that my hearing will continue to improve.

am still experimenting with programs and volume level. The remote does not indicate the actual volume level. Wish it did. I am using the Medel remote control. Is anyone using the Siemens unit??

I play guitar (at home). I am working with the programs and volume levels. This is a bit of a let down so far.

Day 2 begins!

Hello Ross - and Happy New Year! :)

Glad it went everything very well and that you are satisfied. And - it will become even better, don't worry ;):) 

I have program for music, program for automatic tracking voices in the loud background, program for loud background but without tracking. I use only 2, rarely 3: music all the time because it is my everyday program, automatic tracking voices when I can't handle with background noise and third program only rarely when I drive at highway.

Actually, I would advise you to set one level so you can adapt and then in the retuning session you can raise a volume again. If you are raising and lowering too much your adaptation period will last longer. There are 2 things you should observe - do you understand human speech very well without even second of thinking what they might say; second, dynamic spectrum is not problem to tune it. It's actually very fine and I advise you that at the next tuning session you asked music - this is the most easily way to tune your ear. I have compositions for each part of frequency spectrum: for lower, middle, high or at least some symphonies where I can test middle and higher frequencies. Don't worry this can all be adapt.

Regarding the remote control, I use the Med-EL's one. I know exactly how much I can raise the volume so I count. :) It's very sensitive however.  :rolleyes:

Did you mean by Siemens's remote control - miniTek? A streamer so you can answer phone and listen music? I am still in the process of adapting it - I let you know as soon as I start to use it for real  :P

Thanks everyone! So far I am very happy with the bonebridge/Samba. Day 3 and still improving. I should say that my left ear hearing is very good. I think this is good and bad! Both sides of my head, as it relates to hearing, are vying for my auditory attention. For example, in a quiet space I hear peoples voices very well. The directional setting works very well when listening passengers in a vehicle. I realize this is part of the adjustment process! Some sounds (door creaking, setting plates on the counter, water running from the tap and keyboard clicks are very loud!)

Ivana - 1) is there an actual program for music? If so, I will pass this along to my audi. 2) Remote - Good idea about counting when setting the volume. Yes, I was speaking about the Siemens miniTek. I would be interested about your comments. I like the idea that it can be operated with an Android phone!

Thanks again

-Ross

• HearPeers Heroes

Ross

Be sure to run any ideas by your Audi as he/she knows the complexities of the health history and hearing as well. Ivana has given some great advice. Who better to talk to than somebody that has walked in your shoes.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks everyone! So far I am very happy with the bonebridge/Samba. Day 3 and still improving. I should say that my left ear hearing is very good. I think this is good and bad! Both sides of my head, as it relates to hearing, are vying for my auditory attention. For example, in a quiet space I hear peoples voices very well. The directional setting works very well when listening passengers in a vehicle. I realize this is part of the adjustment process! Some sounds (door creaking, setting plates on the counter, water running from the tap and keyboard clicks are very loud!)

Ivana - 1) is there an actual program for music? If so, I will pass this along to my audi. 2) Remote - Good idea about counting when setting the volume. Yes, I was speaking about the Siemens miniTek. I would be interested about your comments. I like the idea that it can be operated with an Android phone!

Thanks again

-Ross

Ross,

Programs can be shuffled - actually, my music program is 4th but I asked it to be Nr. 1 because each time you change a battery Samba resets completely and goes to Nr. 1 program which in my case is omnidirectional microphone with quiet background: you can imagine what happen if I forget my remote control at home?!  :o  :blink:  :rolleyes:

Yes, there is a program for music where you don't have any suppresses - I have it since the beginning. I guess that Med-EL's representative knows for it. If Samba is at  factorial settings this is a program Nr. 5. It's very good but you have to tune it very very fine. For instance, just a little disbalance in order that lower frequencies are not balanced you lose a timbre; I feel this like suddenly music lost its soul - during listening Pictures from the Exhibitions I felt nothing than a pile of instruments; then I knew that we have to play a little bit with equalizer - music came back :D Heureka! 

I have iPhone so, at the present, I can't use that pretty awesome tip: to unite Samba's and miniTEK's remotes to one at Android's mobile phone. :(

My miniTek is still not with me, but as soon as I get it - I'll write you my experiences. The experiences I have been reading are mixed, so I will write my own opinion. 

It's loud at the beginning of each tuning session - as time goes by, you'll need raising up of volume and readjusting. It's completely normal - this is actually the process of neuroplasticity. You won't believe until you don't actually experience it.

At the beginning I heard yelping of a hospital elevator so loud although it was cca 50m away. I was running away of each elevator I could see. It was completely nightmare. :D 

Yes, I remember that you're unilateral ;)  Well, at least you have a sense how it should be; I am patting in a dark - trying to imagine what it should be than experience and if I felt like that - changing it. It is a constant process - 2 years and 4 months until today.  :P

• HearPeers Heroes

Ross

Be sure to run any ideas by your Audi as he/she knows the complexities of the health history and hearing as well. Ivana has given some great advice. Who better to talk to than somebody that has walked in your shoes.

Sometimes you educate your audi and even your clinical engineer. It's a very fun circle :D

• HearPeers Heroes

This is true Ivana, as soon as you think you have learned it all, you are in big trouble. I have seen all too often, a big ego get in the way of listening to the patient

• HearPeers Heroes

Narghhhh... You never know everything and you're never too old to listen...;):)